RoadBikeReview Member

My 1885 Bianchi in a Retro Ride?

Greetings-

The owner of my pro shop is a racer, mechanic, and sponsor of a team and many rides and events. One of the regular events this year will be a Sunday retro ride, and not a ride just for 70's Colnagos and Bianchi's. Actually my 1885 mod. Bianchi will qualify to participate. Why?...because the retro ride is based on frame materials rather than age, and this is the era of Carbon fiber/resin frames.

And yes, steel is still real, and many beautiful frames are made of steel. However, no one races on steel, titanium, or even aluminum anymore.

The shop owner, Mark Brone, has put together a Pinarello for the retro ride. Indurain rode steel Pinarellos during his five Tour wins. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other riders show up on.

I think it's a cool idea, right?
    Last edited by Bill Bikie; 03-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    While not a pro team, which is who I think you are referring to when you say "no one", this amateur team rides on waterfords, I think Team MACK Racing Association Which is pretty cool.

Brone sounds familiar, are you in Wisconsin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repartocorse40 View Post
    While not a pro team, which is who I think you are referring to when you say "no one", this amateur team rides on waterfords, I think Team MACK Racing Association Which is pretty cool.

Brone sounds familiar, are you in Wisconsin?
    Yes. I moved from St.Paul in December and was pleased to find Brone's Bikes in Fountain City Wisconsin, across the Mississippi from Winona, my present home.

Mark Brone, I believe is a catagory 2 competitor. He's also an excellent bike fitter and likes setting up a custom ride for his customers.

We're surrounded by bluffs (coolees), so if you like to climb steep narrow winding roads, this is your place.