RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

[EU] Minimum cost frameset or bike with eyelets and clearance for wide tires?

My requirements are simple:

• Minimum cost: this is a bike that's going to have to be locked down to a pole.
    • Eyelets for racks and fenders.
    • Clearance for tires wider than 32 mm, with fenders.
    • Caliper brakes.
    • Would prefer frameset as I already have almost all the parts.

Digging up the forum I've found mentions of cheap steel frames sold by Performance and Nashbar. This side of the puddle, I'm pulling a blank.

Help a fellow cyclist out?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Eek. I had a few ideas until you said rim brakes and 32mm tires+fenders. You want a frame with 40+mm clearance (desired tire size+10mm) just on account of fenders...

You'll need Tektro's calipers: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html

Problem being...I don't think anyone makes a rim-brake frameset to clear 40mm of tire clearance. Not off-the-shelf for 700C rims....short reach caliper brakes have become the modern standard.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Good discs (i.e. Spyres) are just too expensive for this bike and BB5s seem worse than calipers. I already have the brakes BTW.

I was under the impression Jan Heine/BQ crew were already running that combo, except on the widest tires (like 42), though I assumed it to be one far from minimum cost.

37s (measuring more like 36 on 17c rims) almost fit in my current frame, the rear tire rubs slightly on one of the chainstays though, I assumed all it would take is a frame with chainstays farther apart and adjustable fenders of an appropriate size (Bluemels 53?)

I'm OK with a tight fit as long as it can be ridden safely.

I would like to see those EU options anyway. The only stuff that comes close I've seen so far is frames from Planet X. Their Holdsworth steel frame however is spec'ced for 32, and the other frames have discs.

Locally I've seen a bike that comes 32s and from looking at it, I think 37 will fit, although it has eyelets I'm not 100% positive it will run 37 + fenders.
    Last edited by oct3; 07-25-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Troll-ish....
    Does Ribble have nothing that qualifies?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Their "winter" frames (actually Dolan's IIRC) have eyelets for fenders but, depending which page you are looking at, are claimed to have clearance only up to 23 or 25 mm.

The CGR has clearance for up to 35 mm and discs only.

They've also cut down significantly the range of bikes sold as frame-sets, so many models are only available as fully built bikes.

Among the frame-sets that have survived, there's the CG1, a cyclocross frame with mounts for cantis/mini v-brakes, eyelets and clearance up to 37 mm.

There are no published stack/reach figures for this one, although a look at the geometry suggests a long/low position.

Finally, prices seem to have gone up: the CGR frame-set is €500, whereas comparable offerings from Planet X are way more aggressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are Soma frames available?

Pescadero Frame Set | SOMA Fabrications
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks, I have no idea, but at $550 I'd say far from minimum cost. $200 or less would be more like it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    The Dolan frameset can be had for £199. I have it with 25 tyres and fenders, with 105 brakes. It looks to me like it will clear a little more but not much more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by riccardo123 View Post
    It looks to me like it will clear a little more but not much more.
    That's what I was expecting, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You can go with a Fuji Jari (I think you can get the frame for like $400-$500 if you catch it at the right time). It meets all of your other needs/preferences as well. I test rode one and like it too.

FUJI JARI 1.1: Budget Badass - Peloton Magazine
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Not the greatest pictures but I think you can see that there is room at the brakes, and that the mudguards can move out a little on their "spokes"

[EU] Minimum cost frameset or bike with eyelets and clearance for wide tires?-dolan-clearance-1.jpg[EU] Minimum cost frameset or bike with eyelets and clearance for wide tires?-dolan-clearance-2.jpg

a real member's member
    why buy new steel?

my '60s paramount handles as well as my '84 davidson. the paramount has loads of room for tires and fenders, and new tektros reach its 700c rims.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.