RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

'05 Specialized Tarmac Comp vs. '06 Schwinn Fastback Pro

Both bikes are the same price delivered. Both have received overall very positive reviews. The Schwinn has overall much better componentry. ...and the bike wrapped in the pretty red bow would be.???

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=602

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9725
    Last edited by akeelor; 07-26-2006 at 08:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I've never ridden the Schwinn, but just ordered an 06 Tarmac Comp. It is an awesome bike - incredibly smooth and fast. I thought the geometry would be too aggressive for me but it was real comfy. I rode lots of bikes in $1300 to $2000 range and this was by far my favorite. I ended up blowing my budget (the bottom of that range) to spring for the Tarmac ($1935). Other solid contenders were the Allez Elite, the Giant OCR Comp Limited (a screaming deal at $1500 on sale with full carbon frame and Ultegra), the Spec. Roubaix, and a leftover 05 Trek Pilot 5.0 ($1600 with full carbon frame and Dura-ace rear). I think I could've been reasonably happy with any of those, but I found the Tarmac best for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, what size did you get and how tall are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I'm 6'1" and rode 58cm in all those frames. Tried a 56cm Cannondale Synapse and it felt much too small.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    I'm 5'7" and got a small Tarmac Comp. I believe it is 52 cm. according to the sticker that was on the frame. Fit is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I'm going to go ride it on Saturday. Also going to test the Giant OCR C2. I can get the Tarmac for $1499 and the Giant for $1639. Giant is full Ultegra and Shimano R550 wheels.
    Also, I would prefer to have a compact crankset on the Tarmac. Have to wait and see which one fits.

I'm still very interested in the Schwinn, but I can't find one to ride. Shame.