RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

07 allez comp vs. 07 caad 9 optimo 3...pricing and opinions

which bike would you guys choose? and what would be a good price for them?

ignoring fit, both of them are pretty similar in terms of component, the main difference is the frame.

any pricing help and opinions would be of great help as they would give me an idea before i goto an lbs next week or so.
    Last edited by manhattanproj; 08-24-2007 at 02:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am pretty sure the the CAAD9 is stiffer.
    Cannondale is releasing 2008 models over the next month- you may be able to get discounts on 2007 bikes, but I have heard the 2008 bikes will be cheaper (and lower specc'ed). It is the same frame, check the cdale forum for more info.

Disgruntled engineer
    Jul 2007
    I think CAAD9 Optimo would go for around $1600, but I bet someone else will post the cheaper price really fast. I have a CAAD9 with Dura-Ace components, and my previous ride was a Specialized S-Works E5 frame (I think it's Columbus SLX tubing...). I think CAAD9 is noticeably stiffer: you'll feel the road buzz, but I like it because the power transfer just feels so direct. Weight-wise, it's pretty comparable, but CAAD will feel very fast. Personally, CAADs are aluminum frames on rabies, go for the Cannondale

World's 1st Anal-rapist

Lightbulb

Or how about somthing a little less common?

2006 BMC Streetfire @ trizilla for $1200

Same as the 07, except for Aksiums (now Fulcrum 7's)

BTW, you can't g wrong with either of the original two bikes. Both are great and ride beautifully!
    Oh, I've been in the film business for a while, but I just can't seem to get one in the can.

O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth? Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    seems like the caad 9 is the better ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iharasensei
    but CAAD will feel very fast. Personally, CAADs are aluminum frames on rabies, go for the Cannondale
    i agree. just test rode a caad9 optimo 3 and an allez expert today. the c'dale does feel alot faster. i'm sure, speed wise, it was about the same. just that the caad feels faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

go for the caad9

I have ridden the E5, Caad4 Caad5, Caad7, 05 Tarmac, several Allezs, and my brother's Caad 9. All are good frames, but the Caad 9 wins hands down. Obviously go with whichever fits you better, but the Caad9 is truly the best-bang-for the buck of any current race frame IMO. Wicked stiff, surprisingly comfortable, and stays true to it's crit roots while being a better all-arounder than the caad 4/5 geometry. Admitted bias: I really like my older Klein and the Caad 9 is the closest modern frame out there.

Sorry can't help you with pricing - I had no reason to pay attention and there are too many variables. But, I'd wait for clearance prices seeing as the '08 stuff will be rolling in soon.