RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

1.5" Headtubes and System Integration Questions

Ok, So it's old news about Cannondale's SystemSix with a huge 1.5" Headtube that tappers to the traditional 1 1/8" at the top. I just recently saw that Trek had put out their "new madone" with what seems to be very similar thoughts that Cannondale put out a while ago. I've heard people say that there are several companies using the new 1.5" headtube but can only find Cannondale and Trek. Who was the first to put it out? Did Trek copy Cannondale? I thought I read something about Trek having a pending patent on it. I also noticed considerably more and more system intigration idea's with many companies. Yes I'm a cannondale fan, but I've got to hand it to them for doing what I thought was the first system integration. Am i right here? This includes cranks, BB, Headtubes, Forks, and seat posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    cannondale was one of the first to use integrated headsets way back in the first days of system integration and again were one of the first to integrate the crankset. they kept this system in house for some time before opening it up to the world as the BB30? standard which so far to my knowledge only specialized has taken advantage of.
    now getting back to your original question of 1.5 to 1.125 tapered headtubes, there were a few companies that all hit the market with this within 6 mos of each other. cannondale, ridley, and Isaac were the first i heard of, and since then there have been many that jumped on the design. trek jumping on this standard actually comes as a surprise as in the past they've pledged their allegiance to traditional headsets citing better long term durability.
    all this coming from a guy with a hollowgram equipt CAAD 7, so i too have a love for cannondale.

Not Banned

hmmm in this era

Pinarello was the first to do integrated headsets back in '99 for production bikes.
    Ridley was the first to do the oversized lower headset for production bikes.

the integrated crankset goes back to the 50's and it has come and gone but in this era yes C'ale been doing it for 13 years
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    a couple of quotes from around the web on cannondale's bb's

"In 1993, Cannondale changed frame standards by externalizing crankset bearings to gain a stiffer pedaling system. In 2000 while the industry standard bottom bracket spindle diameter was still 24mm Cannondale introduced their System Integrated (Si) crankset designed in conjunction with an oversized bottom bracket shell and 30mm spindle, further reducing weight and increasing stiffness. "

"Cannondale developed a proprietary bottom bracket and crankset technology called Hollowgram which has been featured in its high-end bikes since 2001"

it would also appear that in 99 when cannondale introduced the CAAD4 frame that the integrated headset was also introduced.

anyone know when Vitus was using integrated headsets??? i'm pretty sure it was before 99.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Speaking of integrated headsets/forks/BB...

I haven't posted much before, but all the talk about the new Madone's integrated bb, headset, forks, etc. have me recalling the Klein mountain bike I had back in the late '80s/early '90s. I could only afford a lowly Pinnacle, but Klein's top-end Attitude incorporated an oversized cartridge bearing headset and of course all their models had press-fit cartridge bbs...
    Having just ordered a Madone 6.5, I can't help but imagine the collaboration that may have gone on between Gary Klein and the Trek engineers. All speculation, but fun none-the-less.