tjs
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

1977 Schwinn Voyageur II

Does anyone know a ballpark figure for what this bike is worth?

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Worth what any one will pay for it

I bought a 1980 11.8 solid chrome full bike from the LBS a few years ago and turned it into a single speed. No rust, shiny chrome. $65. Probably lucky to get $25 in a garage sale setting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs
    Does anyone know a ballpark figure for what this bike is worth?
    Money-wise, not much. Ride it, or give it away to someone who will. They were nice bikes, made by Panasonic in Japan out of good steel tubing. I think the Voyageurs were all cromoly. I have a Super LeTour 12.2 with cromoly main tubes and 1020 stays and blades. While not light, it's a very nice-riding bike. I suspect your Voyageur would be the same.

Based on the Schwinn Lightweight Data Book
    ( http://www.geocities.com/sldatabook/cover.html )

It looks like the Voyageur II was produced from 1974 to 1976. If it fits, it'd make a nice rain bike or fixie. The only wierd thing about these bikes is the steerer tubes, they're 0.833" inside diameter. That means that only Schwinn stems will fit. Nobody makes an all-aluminum .833" road stem any more, so I hope you like the length of the one you've got. The 27" wheels can be tough to find tires for, but if you don't need them right away, there are still some good ones out there, your LBS can order them. If you want to switch to 700C wheels, the centerpull brakes should have enough reach. Otherwise, these are quality-built steel frames that should last another 30 years with care.

--Shannon