RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

1998 LeMond Reno opinions?

Does anybody know anything about these bikes? Are they "good" bikes? I am looking for a low priced STI bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pedal View Post
    Does anybody know anything about these bikes? Are they "good" bikes? I am looking for a low priced STI bike.
    We had this discussion on a different thread, the bike your looking at on CL was a 97 with a straight level top tube, the 98 had a sloping top tube. The 97 had a better True Temper frame then the 98 Reynolds 525 frame, however both used RSX components which were low end components roughly equal to Tiagra. If the bike is in mint condition and ridden very little then the price may be worth it, but having said that I would offer the guy $145 and tell him it needs tires (assuming it needs tires) and see what he counters with. The bike's frames were made sturdy, it will last a long time if you keep good care of it. As a component fails simply upgrade that part to Shimano 105, 105 is cheap to buy but will last a long time and are better and lighter than RSX. But RSX while low end won't fail on you tomorrow, if the miles are low on the components then they should last at least 5 years.

It would make a great commuter bike, or even some distant riding type of stuff, and it looks really nice.

But before you buy it test ride it and make sure it fits primarily (you may have to adjust the seat and handlebars), then make sure it shifts, goes, and stops good. If it doesn't fit then don't commit to buying it because a ill fitted bike will hurt after a while riding it then you'll not want to ride it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."