Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LOOK lover

2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team

It took a while, but I finally finished the build of my LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team frame. This is the first time I've gotten to build a bike with every single component as I want and really no limit on what I could choose. I went for a high performing durable build over a featherweight project - 16lb 5oz as pictured (incl. pedals, computer, bottle cages). Completing the build on this bike also let me finish the build on my TT bike (2004 LOOK 486), which was sharing some parts - I'll post the build specs and some pictures of the TT bike a little later.

I have about 4K miles on the 585 now - all I can say is WOW, I sure love riding this bike! Obviously, there have been a lot of reviews on this frame, with lots of praise and price being about the only negative. I think it's worth it - it does everything superbly and with panache. I'm sure other top end frames perform superbly also, but this one caught my eye like none other has. The guys at the shop that did the initial build for me voted it "best looking bike they've ever sold."

Frame: 2005 LOOK 585 High-Modulus monocoque carbon, size M (53 cm)
    Fork: LOOK HSC5 monocoque carbon, 1 1/8" steerer
    Colour: Credit Agricole Team white
    Cranks: Shimano DuraAce 7800, 172.5 mm, 53X39
    Bottom bracket: Shimano DuraAce 7800
    Chain: Shimano DuraAce 7800
    Cassette: Shimano DuraAce 7800, 12-25
    Levers: Shimano DuraAce 7800 STI
    Front derailleur: Shimano DuraAce 7800
    Rear derailleur: Shimano DuraAce 7800
    Brake calipers: Zero Gravity 0G-05 titanium
    Bars: FSA K-Wing carbon, 42 cm
    Tape: Stella Azzura Eleganza red/black
    Stem: 3T Less XL 31.8, 100 mm, 80 degree rise
    Headset: FSA carbon integrated
    Pedals: Shimano DuraAce SPD-SL 7800
    Seat post: LOOK Ergopost 2 Ti, 27.2 mm, gloss black
    Saddle: Fizik Arione, black/red
    Wheelset: Mavic Ksyrium ES clincher
    Tyres: Continental GP4000, 700x23, red
    Computer: Mavic WinTech wireless
    Bottle cages: Westwood carbon, red
    Chainring/derailleur bolts & cassette lockring: Specialty Racing Products, red anodized aluminum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-001f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-003f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-004f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-005f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-006f.jpg  

2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-007f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-008f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-009f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-010f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-011f.jpg  

2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-012f.jpg   2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-014f.jpg  
    Last edited by BugMan; 03-07-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." -- Howard W. Newton

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Great 'theme'

I've been lusting over a white bike with red highlights for some time now, you've done an excelent job of pulling it off! The red cassette lockring looks fantastic!

Well done.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Isn't it nice to have it exactly the way you want it.
    Not the way I'd build it, but that is one fine bike. Congrats.

Rain Man
    Dec 2002

Thumbs up Beautiful!!! Tons of panache...congrats and have fun!!

nmnmnmnm

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I love the Credit Agricole Look frames. I like the white with the black carbon fiber peeking out whenever you see LOOK. Cool.

The Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels are sweet. Nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy spacers Batman...
    Pretty much here just to piss you off...

limit screwed
    Sep 2005
    Hmm. Four hours. I was betting on less than that.

banned
    Jan 2003
    What is the virtual toptube length and what size frame is that? Is that what look calls a size 55 for the 585 with a 56cm virtual TT length?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroXC
    Hmm. Four hours. I was betting on less than that.

Wow, sorry! Is it taboo to point out a giant stack height that likely goes beyond the manufacturer spec'd maximum of 40mm?
    At least I didn't point out the fact that all of the red stuff on the bike is ugly...oops, there I go.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    red always looks go on a bike. I'm not a fan of carbon but yours looks cool.

LOOK lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy16
    What is the virtual toptube length and what size frame is that? Is that what look calls a size 55 for the 585 with a 56cm virtual TT length?
    It's a size M - effective top tube length is 54.5 cm. I've got a 10-cm stem on it.

Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    At least I didn't point out the fact that all of the red stuff on the bike is ugly...oops, there I go.
    Class move, merckx56 - maybe if you open your mouth a little wider you can get your ankle in as well. Your first post was just annoying (if not unexpected), but your second was truly moronic. I'm showing the build, not asking for fit advice - and while I appreciate your concern I've got it covered. This is the first time I've had the chance to critically evaluate fit and tinker with it to get it right. I told the guys at the shop to put in a maximum stack so I could play around with things while logging serious miles. The picture below shows the 20mm stack I've pretty much settled on, but I thought that looked goofy for the 'photo shoot' so I moved all the spacers back underneath (as well as the usual 'staging techniques' such as crankarms aligned with seat tube, chain on highest gear, wheels in synch, etc.). It feels pretty good, but I'll wait until I get some race miles in before deciding for sure. I'm not gonna take a hacksaw to a $460 fork until I'm damned sure I know exactly where I want to cut it.

Personally, I would never offer fit advice to someone based only on a picture of their bike - physical measurements, flexibility, intended use, etc. would also be required information. Perhaps your heart was in the right place and you're really not the dime-a-dozen, idiot trashtalker you came off as. But then, I've never horned in on someone's "new bike build" thread and clogged it up with childish disses, so what do I know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-015f.jpg  
    Last edited by BugMan; 03-08-2006 at 08:39 AM.
    "Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy." -- Howard W. Newton

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugMan
    It's a size M - effective top tube length is 54.5 cm. I've got a 10-cm stem on it.

Class move, merckx56 - maybe if you open your mouth a little wider you can get your ankle in as well. Your first post was just annoying (if not unexpected), but your second was truly moronic. I'm showing the build, not asking for fit advice - and while I appreciate your concern I've got it covered. This is the first time I've had the chance to critically evaluate fit and tinker with it to get it right. I told the guys at the shop to put in a maximum stack so I could play around with things while logging serious miles. The picture below shows the 20mm stack I've pretty much settled on, but I thought that looked goofy for the 'photo shoot' so I moved all the spacers back underneath (as well as the usual 'staging techniques' such as crankarms aligned with seat tube, chain on highest gear, wheels in synch, etc.). It feels pretty good, but I’ll wait until I get some race miles in before deciding for sure. I’m not gonna take a hacksaw to a $460 fork until I’m damned sure I know exactly where I want to cut it.

Personally, I would never offer fit advice to someone based only on a picture of their bike - physical measurements, flexibility, intended use, etc. would also be required information. Perhaps your heart was in the right place and you're really not the dime-a-dozen, idiot trashtalker you came off as. But then, I've never horned in on someone's "new bike build" thread and clogged it up with childish disses, so what do I know?
    1) My first post was merely making an observation about a lot of spacers.
    2) The crybaby face wasn't directed at you.
    3) My second post was merely pointing out the recommended max stack height by Look for their carbon steerer forks.
    4) The comment about the red was my opinion. You may very well think that my blacked out Ridley Damocles is ugly, and that's your right. I like the bike itself, just not all of the red.
    5) I had obviously forgotten that when someone posts pics of their bike that we all have to stroke their ego and tell them how much we love it, no matter what we may really think.
    Everyone join hands now for the singing of Kum Ba Ya.
    6) If you really have 4000 miles on it, you should damn well know by now if the stem height is comfortable...

keep rubber side down

Did you mean 4000 miles!

You say you just finished building this bike and already have 4000 miles on it! That is a long way! How far back is your "just finished..."

I wish I had the time to do that in a full month!

I really like your bike. And the red stuff too, But I'd have a solid red bar tape, very classic.
    There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for. Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre

LOOK lover
    4) The comment about the red was my opinion. You may very well think that my blacked out Ridley Damocles is ugly, and that's your right...
    I doubt it, it sounds like a beautiful bike. Just because I choose one theme doesn't mean I can't appreciate the beauty of other themes - even those I would never choose for my own. I have 3 road bikes, and each has quite a different look.

5) I had obviously forgotten that when someone posts pics of their bike that we all have to stroke their ego and tell them how much we love it, no matter what we may really think.
    If you throw mud, don't go crying to mommy when it gets thrown back. Besides, this really has nothing to do with freedom of expression - you just felt like creating a scene and got called out. IMHO, of course.

6) If you really have 4000 miles on it, you should damn well know by now if the stem height is comfortable...
    Am I coming up on a deadline? Do I risk some damage by not cutting yet? It's not a question of whether it's comfortable - I already know that - but whether I can go even lower. Most of those 4000 miles have been toodling along during the off season - I'd like to see what I think after a few serious breakaway attempts and bunch sprints, if you don't mind. Maybe you think I should remove the fork and cut off another 5mm every month until I know I'm bottomed out - let's just say advice noted.

tempeteOntheRoad - I've been riding it since October but just got the Zero Gravity brakes on. I had been borrowing the DA brakes from the TT bike - I wanted to wait and take pictures once I had all the components in place.

I guess I should've waited until I cut the steering tube, too
    Last edited by BugMan; 03-07-2006 at 07:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When are we going to see some pix of your 486???
    I'm currently building one (486 special edition)
    Thx...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm still wait'in to see your 486, How bout some pix???
    ... and do you have a problem with removing your wheels (when they're fully inflated)???
    I've heard Zero-Gravity brakes don't open far enough... (I noticed you have 23c tires)
    Thanks for the reply!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You did well on the details, colored lock ring, chain nuts etc. The only thing I don't really like is the color. If I would put this together, I guess I'd choose another color (but that's just because I don't like red)
    >>I'm Dutch... Sorry for abusing the English language<<

Don't play stupid with me..................I'm better at it

banned
    Jan 2005

Wow, sorry! Is it taboo to point out a giant stack height that likely goes beyond the manufacturer spec'd maximum of 40mm?
    Red is not ugly on any bike. Its just hard to match one red part with another, from different
    vendors. From looking at your prior posts, you have done this shet before to people.
    JUST GROW UP.

banned
    Jan 2005
    I was waiting for other 585 drivers to chime in. I'll be the first then, I know your
    joy. It is hard to put that bike down and take another one for a ride;)

" I don't mind being driven, I just don't want to be taken for a ride."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Road cyclist
    Red is not ugly on any bike. Its just hard to match one red part with another, from different
    vendors. From looking at your prior posts, you have done this shet before to people.
    JUST GROW UP.
    Way to throw in your 2 cents 2 weeks later...

LOOK lover
    ROGER79 - sorry for the long delay, but the pics of my KG486 are finally up!

Here's a picture of the 585 with its racing wheelset:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 LOOK 585 Credit Agricole Team-mvc-026f.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    ROGER79 - sorry for the long delay, but the pics of my KG486 are finally up!

Here's a picture of the 585 with its racing wheelset:
    Nice bike. I'd go with white bar tape myself, but thats just me...

For the record, when I saw your original post, my first thought was that you chose a frame/model that didn't fit you so well. The short stem, combined with the amount of spacers, etc. But this latest pic looks much more like a normal fit. Very nice.

LOOK lover
    Quote Originally Posted by satch_973@hotmail.com
    Nice bike. I'd go with white bar tape myself, but thats just me...

For the record, when I saw your original post, my first thought was that you chose a frame/model that didn't fit you so well. The short stem, combined with the amount of spacers, etc. But this latest pic looks much more like a normal fit. Very nice.
    I would LOVE white bar tape (and saddle!). I'm just not at all sure I could keep it looking nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I would LOVE white bar tape (and saddle!). I'm just not at all sure I could keep it looking nice!
    Unless you are doing cyclocross...lol....trust me, white stays white for a decent amount of time. And with places like Supergo (well, performance now, I guess) often having their own brand of cork tape on sale for 3 or 4 bucks, its cheap enough to replace the tape as often as you like!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Nice ride! Gratz on the sweet setup.

I just put a deposit down on my 585, a 49 cm in white. My build is pretty close to yours except for a few parts. Mine is going to be white and black with white tape. I'll post a pic when I get it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast