NewRider
    May 2008

2007 Lemond Versailles or 2005 Buenos Aires? Both new

After trying to learn as much as I could from reading (a lot of it on this forum - thanks!) and visiting 4 LBS to try out several bikes I'm down to choosing between a 2007 Lemond Versailles or 2005 Buenos Aires? Both are new and almost the same price.

Initially the Versailles seemed to be more comfortable to ride, presumably because of the all carbon frame vs steel/carbon, but then I alternated between both a few times I really couldnt make out much of a difference, but I didnt take them out for a long ride. I am going to go back and take each of them for a long ride but I wanted your opinions on whether the BA is a better deal or not.

The LBS was selling the pros of the BA, presumably because they wanted to get rid of it! So he convinced me that it was a better deal and then I realized it's 2 years older than the Versailles so how much better can it be?

http://www.lemondbikes.com/bike_arch...enos_aires.php
    http://www.lemondbikes.com/bike_arch...versailles.php

Here are some of the pros of the BA (according to the LBS)
    - much better wheelset - he said the price diff was about 250 (or even 500)
    - the chain rings (?) are sealed on the BA
    - the BA has Campy Veloce/Centaur which he says is (much) better than Ultegra on the Versailles (the specs say Ult/105 but the bike has Ultegra front and back derailleurs) and can be rebuilt if got damaged whereas Shimanos have to be replaced. I find that using my thumb to shift the Campys is irritating because I have to change position but maybe that's something you get used to?
    - overall he said the components were either better or much better

So assuming I like both the ride on both bikes which one would you choose and why? Price is almost the same

btw I'm a relatively new rider hoping to ride regularly, primarily to get fit but hoping to do a lot more in terms of riding - longer, faster etc

Thanks for your help!!
    - db

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    One thing to keep in mind, If you ever crash carbon and it breaks, you can't fix it.
    While steel can be repaired.
    Being that it is a 2005 I would see if I can bargain with them a bit more.

NewRider
    May 2008

Talking

Thanks trener!

Anyone else? I'm going back tomorrow (Thursday) to close the deal!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I would say the components are about equal since the only thing Centaur is the Rear dr. I would take them both for a test ride and pick the one you like the best.

For me, I would go with the Versailles. I love the ride of the LeMond carbon. If you want a better wheelset, ask you LBS how much to upgrade. Mine was willing to upgrade from Race to Race Lite for $100.

NewRider
    May 2008
    That's a good suggestion about asking how much to upgrade lamazion, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Report.....

So... which one did you buy??
    Did you ride both?

NewRider
    May 2008

Pulled the trigger yesterday!!

Hi trener1, I did ride both bikes quite a bit before and after reading the responses on this forum and bikeforums.net I decided to go with the Versailles for a couple of reasons:

The BA is 3 y/o vs 1 yr for the V - doesnt make a diff to me, but will make a diff (if) when I sell it esp if the buyer is a newbie like me - I'd assume that newer is better

changing gears on the BA with Campy means I have to change positions whereas I dont have to do that on the V

my first impression when I rode both bikes was that I pref the V

Thanks for your help and everyone else's too

Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    So... which one did you buy??
    Did you ride both?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would pick up the Versailles... your bike shop is definitely stretching the truth on some of the pros... especially the Veloce being a massive upgrade from Ultegra. By most accounts Veloce is somewhere in the 105/Ultegra class. If you prefer Campy shifting, that's a better argument... but I'd say the wheels are the only substantial upgrade on the BA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I just picked my 07 Versailles two days ago, put 30 rainy miles on it yesterday. Fell in love with it when I first saw it last summer. The ride made me fall in love with it all over again. SMOOTH. Shifting was great even the front (triple). I never needed to use the granny and I wished that it was not a triple. The fit seemed about right for me, LBS had the seat post at just the right hieght for me despite the fact I never even sat over it before purchase. The only thing i would change in regards to fit is a swap for wider bars.

IMHO I would have picked the Campy bike. Having used Ergo for 14 years I prefer them because of the cable routing and because ergo allows for more adjusting of the front derailure (sp) to prevent chain rubbing. But I gotta admit that the V's 105 front shifter performed much more to my satisfaction that my 2001 Ultegras on my Tandem or the Deore on my 07 trek hybrid, both of which have LIMITED front adjustment.

Think about upgrading the wheels since the hubs lack sealed bearings.

n00bsauce
    I would have chosen the BA because of the better wheels and because I like Campy. I'm confused why you think you have to change positions to shift the Campy thumb shifter. Whether in the drops or on the hoods you can shift the thumb shifter without changing positions. Resale will not be more for the V. Once out the door and used for a year or more both drop 50% in value and stay there for awhile, slowly going down over time. It's not the year it's made, it's the condition. Either way, they're both good bikes. However, I wouldn't by a LeMond because I don't like him. That's my bias. Good thing Trek has cut it's ties with him IMHO. Wonder what they will name the line?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Good thing Trek has cut it's ties with him IMHO. Wonder what they will name the line?
    Trek never owned the "line," they just had a licensing agreement (the one they want out of) with Greg Lemond. Greg still owns Lemond, so it'll be interesting to see what he'll do with the line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most of Lemond's engineering was done by Trek--Trek will be bringing back Klein to replace Lemond.

I was a long-time Campy fan, but don't really think thumb-shifting from the drops was very practical. I've converted to SRAM, and those shifters actually ARE easy to shift from the drops (and hoods). They have the nice, solid (immobile) brake lever feel of campy, the hoods feel even better than Campy (I had Shimano hoods) and cable routing is clean like Campy.

Sadly, Trek is a massive Shimano partner--and has minimal SRAM or Campy offerings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe I just have huge hands, but I've never found any difficulties reaching the thumb shifter in any position on my campy centaur bike.

n00bsauce
    Au contraire, Trek licensed the name. The designs are theirs. Greg keeps his name. Trek keeps the designs and gets to sell them under a new name.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trek has already said they'll be using new designs, rather than the Triomphe and other Lemond designs, when they roll out Klein's models for 2009.

I imagine if LeMond makes bikes, you'll see some similarities between what he releases and what is out now... long top tubes/laid out geometry, interesting mix of materials. Unfortunately, Trek has become increasingly loyal to Shimano... but you won't see that from LeMond. You'll probably see a return to more Campy components (and maybe SRAM?). You can be certain there won't be Bontrager parts on it! ;)

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Au contraire, Trek licensed the name. The designs are theirs. Greg keeps his name. Trek keeps the designs and gets to sell them under a new name.
    Correct, but I guess it depends what is meant by "line." Perhaps I'm too cynical about it, but the bike business is basically marketing. There's not all that much "desing" and "engineering." Bikes are bikes, and they're all good nowadays. It's mostly the brand names and associated marketing efforts ("the line" to me) that differentiate between them and make them sell or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    There's not all that much "design" and "engineering." Bikes are bikes, and they're all good nowadays.
    With carbon frames, that statement is becoming less true each year...

NewRider
    May 2008

Returned the Versailles and got the BA

Mel because of what you said below and what trener1 said (not being able to repair a carbon frame) + other comments I read about steel frames I decided to go for the BA because I felt it had better value (original price for the BA was much higher than the V; sale price had the BA just 50.00 bucks more - maybe that makes me shallow but that's the way I think!).

I agree as other people have said that Veloce is about the same as Ultegra but I like being a little unique with Campy and figured i would work out a way to change gears without having to change my position

I would have chosen the BA because of the better wheels and because I like Campy. I'm confused why you think you have to change positions to shift the Campy thumb shifter. Whether in the drops or on the hoods you can shift the thumb shifter without changing positions. Resale will not be more for the V. Once out the door and used for a year or more both drop 50% in value and stay there for awhile, slowly going down over time. It's not the year it's made, it's the condition. Either way, they're both good bikes. However, I wouldn't by a LeMond because I don't like him. That's my bias. Good thing Trek has cut it's ties with him IMHO. Wonder what they will name the line?