Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    underachiever

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel

I was patiently waiting to receive my bike until I composed my first posting, so here goes...

So, I hung up my road biking hat (or, err, helmet) back in 1986 and focused all my energy on mountain biking. All was going well until 2007 when I caught the bug again. Several of my friends are avid road cyclists and I forgot how much I enjoyed it, so I took the plunge and bought myself a brand new Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel SEC right off the floor.

This bike performed perfectly well, and after a year of piling on the miles, I decided that I really wanted a bike that was custom built. One of my riding buddies that rides an IF Club Racer recommended Roy Cervantes from Grace Bicycles (http://gracebicycles.com). It's a bit of a trek to get out there, but I was told that he performs one of the best bike fittings around (he uses the Retul 3D Motion Capture system), so curiosity got the best of me. Roy is a great guy and really listened to what I wanted. I never felt rushed during the process. He's also very understanding as I'm known to change my mind midstream. Anyway, after a 3 hour fitting, and a subsequent 3 month wait, I had a beautiful new bike. Here's what it looked like when it was delivered:

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-p6240001.jpg

Roy transferred all of my parts from the IF CJ SEC, but wanted to upgrade a few things, specifically the stem, seat post and shifters. The IF CJ SEC came with the 7800 Dura Ace, and it has so few miles (looks brand new), but I really wanted the 2009 7900 STI levers. This meant I had to also replace the front derailleur (compatibility issue; thank goodness I was able to still use the rear derailleur), and I also needed a chain, so threw that in too.

I ordered the 7900 items last week and my local bike shop (Belmont Wheel Works) received them on Friday, so I dropped the bike off to have them installed. Just picked it up tonight, so here's what it looks like now:

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010006.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010004.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-p9190045.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-p9190044.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010005.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010009.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010010.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010014.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010017.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010018.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010019.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010020.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010021.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010022.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010023.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010024.jpg

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-pc010026.jpg

I didn't have time to get in the saddle to try out the 7900 parts, but am hoping I can possibly manage the time later in the week...
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-01-2008 at 07:51 PM.

underachiever

Here are the specs...

Frame: Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel
    Fork: Reynolds Ouzo Pro (all carbon)
    Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium SL
    Tires: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX
    Pedals: Time RXS Carbon
    Crankset/Bottom Bracket: 7800 Dura Ace
    Chain: 7900 Dura Ace
    Cassette: 7800 Dura Ace (12-23)
    Front Derailleur: 7900 Dura Ace
    Rear Derailleur: 7800 Dura Ace
    STI Levers: 7900 Dura Ace
    Handlebars: Ritchey Evolution WCS Carbon
    Stem: Moots titanium
    Headset: Chris King
    Brakes: Zero Gravity Zero G Ti
    Saddle: Sella Italia SLC
    Seat Post: Kent Eriksen titanium
    Weight: 16.5 pounds
    Place of Origin: Somerville, MA
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-02-2008 at 08:25 AM.

World's 1st Anal-rapist
    Ouch. Hawt.
    Oh, I've been in the film business for a while, but I just can't seem to get one in the can.

O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth? Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    That is a very nice bike! Just a question, is there an advantage to the sloping downtube? You seem to have enough seat post to have the downtube flat. I'm not sure about the advantages or disadvantages. It's super nice though. Make sure you tell us how it rides
    I just finished a 6500km bike ride across Canada. I raised over $100 000 for kids with cancer. Read all about it: http://www.cyclingforcancer.ca

AFS
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking good misterdp. I'm really interested in your impressions of the 7900/7800 mix. My lbs was suggesting something similar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I like the bike for the most part. At the fitting, did you request the most possible seat post showing?

kytyree
    nice looking bike

banned
    Sep 2008
    Really nice build, that is one bad machiine. Nice job. Only thing I'd add in the future is to have IF paint the fork to match.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    very nice bike.
    how is wheelworks by the way? I'm in the area and have yet to check them out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Sharp bike. Wheelworks is a great shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Were is the headbadge? Love my IF, the ride is second to none. Enjoy your new toy!

Lexicon Devil
    I like it, lots.

I have a custom steel that I had built as a super-compact frame, mostly for s-and-giggles, but also just because I like the looks of compacts. Not everyone does, but I admire the rider who chooses to build his/her custom bike as such.

Master of flip comments
    BEAUTIFUL bike. I love the yellow. I also don't understand the sloping top tube haters, I think it makes bikes look more "sporty".

underachiever
    Gosh, thanks for all the kind words and compliments. I’m elated that this bike is finally completed so I can start riding it again soon. I had surgery on my elbow back in August and it’s still somewhat problematic to cycle, but in the interim, I can focus on my other project, a Ted Wojcik.

To answer your questions::

Quote Originally Posted by iherald
    Just a question, is there an advantage to the sloping downtube? You seem to have enough seat post to have the downtube flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by lampshade
    At the fitting, did you request the most possible seat post showing?
    First and foremost, I like the way it looks. It’s a great climber and handles quite well, though I’m not as comfortable at higher speeds like I was on my steel Crown Jewel SEC. Anyway, the top tube angle is 12.6 degrees. When I sat down with Roy, after all the fitting information had been imported to the computer program, I was able to express my concerns about the geometry. In 2007, I had the unfortunate experience of having an extremely serious injury in my pelvis (not bike related). Not to go too much into detail, I wanted as much room between the top tube and me. Roy showed me several different configurations and I like this the most. This was the most I could get, and you can see the rear brake cable had to be custom routed on the top of the tube because of the extreme angle. It’s safe, and IF approved it, so I’m happy. And yes, it certainly is sporty looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance#8in09
    Only thing I'd add in the future is to have IF paint the fork to match.
    Actually, what I really want is a Black Sheep titanium fork. It’s really a nice looking fork. I have an order (handlebars, stem and seat post) for my Ted Wojcik currently en route to me, so I’ll check out the quality of their work and then make a decision. I’m thinking for whatever I do, painting it green to match the lettering would look really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew
    Were is the headbadge?
    I really didn’t like the head badge all that much on my Crown Jewel SEC, so opted to forego that option. If I hadn’t painted the bike, I may have chosen to have it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_W
    how is wheelworks by the way?
    I really like Wheelworks, and generally visit the Belmont location. I’ve been going to them since 1988. They’re the only shop I trust with my bikes (locally; Roy @ Grace Bicycles is great also but he’s a bit of a drive). When I picked up this bike, they went over all the work and gave lots of information and instruction regarding the new parts. The tech actually ran after me as I was leaving to show me the special feature on the chain. Great service all around.

Quote Originally Posted by AFS
    I'm really interested in your impressions of the 7900/7800 mix. My lbs was suggesting something similar.
    I’ve heard the shifting isn’t quite a crisp without doing the full conversion (crankset & rear derailleur), but it seems pretty nice to me so far. Will report more later when I can actually experience it on a nice long ride…

Steaming piles of opinion
    Nice bike, but this thread won't be complete without someone commenting about the Moots stem and Erikson seatpost on an IF.

Can't argue with any of them as individual choices, but there's some stripes-and-plaids thing happening here.

My bike has an FSA crank, Shimano running gear, and Campy levers, so take this in the spirit intended.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    How sweat it is! Enough said.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice. Nowt wrong with a sloping top tube.

Actually there is if you over do it like I did a few years ago - yikes!!

Loving that IF, shame about the ShimaNO. Glad they've finally sorted their cable routing out, might have to move away from Campy and give it a crack.

You still MTB too or just on the road now?

That bike is crying out for some wicked Tune hubs, Niobium rims and CX Ray spokes!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-j-foster.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    fine steed indeed...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Ummm...what's your addy and work schedule? Any dogs in the house?

That's a beaut!
    I may be short but I sure am skinny.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by epicxt
    Any dogs in the house?
    you're gonna have to get by this fierce creature:

2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel-durgadevil.jpg

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy
    You still MTB too or just on the road now?
    I enjoy both equally, and might even try cyclocross at some point. I'm in the process of rebuilding my Ted Wojcik "Yo Teddy" and can't wait to finish that. My order from Black Sheep is scheduled to arrive via UPS tomorrow. I also picked up a mint condition 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy over the summer and completely updated my 1994 Rhygin Ra last year. Needless to say, I really love cycling...

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy
    That bike is crying out for some wicked Tune hubs, Niobium rims and CX Ray spokes!!
    I will take these modifications under advisement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    you're gonna have to get by this fierce creature:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	durgadevil.jpg 
Views:	3065 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	148911

Opens door. Enters.
    Sees dog with horns.
    Slowly backs up to door and quietly leaves.
    I may be short but I sure am skinny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Mr. Pants

Kudos on this and your Yo & Rhygin, all very nicely set up. Your story hit home to me in a lot of ways. I too, try to stay locally, I own a peter mooney and a seven. I did own a Rhygin road, one of the Metax tubed ones. Christian was a nice guy, not a great businessman, but i liked him. I wanted a Ra but he went under before I could get one and eventually bought a seven sola to replace my Bontrager Race. Both great singletrak bikes. I set up the sola with as much American made CNC'd stuff as i could find, too-including carumba cranks, precision billet brakes & levers. Anyway, best of luck to you, enjoy 'em all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    ...commenting about the Moots stem and Erikson seatpost on an IF.
    My comment is that the bike is a close to perfection as I have seen...from frame to superlative components. Clearly this bike was bred with love.

Congratulations and enjoy this and your other dream bikes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast