RoadBikeReview Member

2011 Felt F series frame -- wow.

Check out Felt's 2011 racing frame:
    http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011.../FC-Frame.aspx

Talk about aggressive. I can't even ride that. Long TT, short HT, and steep angles.
    A pure racing breed for the fittest of athletes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Felt F series frame -- wow.-f1_frame_small.jpg  
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong

Born to chase Ducks
    Quote Originally Posted by skygodmatt
    Check out Felt's 2011 racing frame:
    http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011.../FC-Frame.aspx

Talk about aggressive. I can't even ride that. Long TT, short HT, and steep angles.
    I'm 48 and I can ride that. Proud owner of a 2011 Felt F3. I'll grant you, the HT is short, but the angles aren't that far off the 1983 Trek 700 I was riding before I got the Felt, and the TT is in the same propotional ballpark relative to frame size. The ol' Trek was a "sport" geometry vs a a "race" geometry, and so the wheelbase is a lot longer than the Felt F-series, primarily in the chainstay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 38 and I ride Felt bikes. The key to riding that geo is to buy a size one smaller than you usually ride. I used to ride a Treks as well. I was fitted to a 60 cm and it was perfect; With Felt, I ride 58 cm because the top tube length is longer than on comparable Treks.
    Last edited by terbennett; 02-09-2011 at 08:33 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Geo looks pretty normal/generic to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Aside from the short HT it's pretty similar to standard geo. Scott, Cannondale, cervelo, etc. More aggressive than you'll find from some larger market companies like Trek, but not significantly so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    looks like a pretty standard geometry in my size. It actually has a longer head tube than my cross bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    It actually has a longer head tube than my cross bike.
    Keep in mind that cross bikes typically have longer forks axle to crown

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skygodmatt
    The fittest of athletes don't ride Felts.
    Can't fit the motor in the seat tube.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    similar to the Blue frame i have. "The key to riding that geo is to buy a size one smaller than you usually ride." that's great but what if you would normally fit the smallest frame? my Blue frame has less than 4cm of spacers under the stem with the stem flipped to a riser position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 68 and my main ride is a Felt F5. I liken the responsiveness of the bike to a Porsche - quick but controllable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dam...the headtube is on the shorter side. Their 54 has a 120mm HT...most is around 140mm.

Their AR series has taller HT's...

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...keep in mind the steep seat angle will add length to your TT as you need to slide the seat back to line up your leg.

I ride a 58...so if I buy one size smaller I get a 14 cm HT. At 6'2" tall that head tube is crazy short.

Guess I am one of those riders that fall in between the cracks of the compact geometry thing. I wish every vendor made 22 sizes --like Colnago.
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That frame is sweet, especially the FC with the Enve fork. Like 900 grams for 56 cm.
    In response to the geometry being agressive, I find this a pleasnt departure from frames that are nowadays getting ever softer and less pro. Props to Felt for making an undiluted racing frame, much better than the old f series. If I had not just got q new bike, this one would be on the shortlist.

Ride bicycles? Why?
    Apr 2010
    The bike is absolutely a great ride. Stiff, responsive, comfortable and really not that racy unless you want it to be. I have the '11 F5 w/ customized ENVE fork. Heres a pic. No, I dont generally wrap my bars that far up. I just didnt want to cut the tape yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stefano bobby
    In response to the geometry being aggressive, I find this a pleasant departure from frames that are nowadays getting ever softer and less pro. Props to Felt for making an undiluted racing frame, much better than the old f series. If I had not just got a new bike, this one would be on the shortlist.
    I agree...It's nice to still see a frame that doesn't cater to the "Tall head tube" crowd... i.e. more money than fitness.

The felt is pretty much the only frame I can get a proper fit on with out using a stem with more than -17 degree of drop. I love that they are still making it and if I had the money would buy one...with that said, I don't expect them to keep it much longer before they have to change the geometry to something more relaxed.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zach.scofield
    The bike is absolutely a great ride. Stiff, responsive, comfortable and really not that racy unless you want it to be. I have the '11 F5 w/ customized ENVE fork. Heres a pic. No, I dont generally wrap my bars that far up. I just didnt want to cut the tape yet.

Nice picture... Really get a feel of the bikes proportions from that angle.
    Stand For Something.

Ride bicycles? Why?
    Apr 2010
    Heres a better one for proportions. set up is a bit different in the 1st photo then was in this older photo.

Born to chase Ducks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    I agree...It's nice to still see a frame that doesn't cater to the "Tall head tube" crowd... i.e. more money than fitness.

The felt is pretty much the only frame I can get a proper fit on with out using a stem with more than -17 degree of drop. I love that they are still making it and if I had the money would buy one...with that said, I don't expect them to keep it much longer before they have to change the geometry to something more relaxed.
    I would expect this geometry to remain in Felt's stable for a while. The F-series framesets being discussed are a fresh design for the 2011 model year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not sure what the big deal is about the different stack heights of these various frames. Comparing a 58 felt f series to a cervelo rs, the difference in stack height is 3 cm. Even someone wanting to set up the felt for a very aggressive position is likely going to add some height to that frame - 569mm stack height for a 58cm frame is VERY low. They'll need to reduce the 599mm stack height of the Cervelo - so we're talking about a cm here or there in terms of adjustments between them. FWIW, Cervelo claims:

"Pros love maximum front-end stiffness, but - for the same handlebar height - a short headtube with a minus-6 stem provides less stiffness than a longer headtube with a minus-17 stem."

Born to chase Ducks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    FWIW, Cervelo claims:

"Pros love maximum front-end stiffness, but - for the same handlebar height - a short headtube with a minus-6 stem provides less stiffness than a longer headtube with a minus-17 stem."
    All other things being equal, I could see this claim being true, however, seldom are all other things "equal".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    not sure what the big deal is about the different stack heights of these various frames. Comparing a 58 felt f series to a cervelo rs, the difference in stack height is 3 cm.
    Because 3cm is pretty huge for some of us...Even on a 56cm which would be the size I'd ride it has a 14cm long head tube, without any spacers. With only 1mm of spacer I'd run a -10 degree stem, if it had a 10-15mm top spacer for the headset (which many do) I'd have to run a -17 degree stem.

Add in 3cm of length and I'm to upright even with a -17 degree stem. My current frame has a total stack height of 14cm (11.2 cm head tube length with 2.8cm of external headset) and I run a -10 degree stem on that bike.

So for you...it may not be a big deal, but for others it's a "Huge" deal.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker

Felt is the only bike I can get a proper fit on without the smallest amounts of adjustments, but I expect them to be around a long time. Felt has the Z series lineup for the more relaxed position. Still a race bike, but taller top tube. Looks like they covered their bases in the road bike lineup.