RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

2011 Masi Gran Criterium

Has anyone seen or ridden the new lugged steel Masi Gran Criterium. I'm considering
    moving to steel rather than the carbon fibre Specialized Roubaix that I've been riding.
    The bike looks great and the specs are just fine for my kind of riding.
    My only concern is the geometry looks bettr suited for racing rather than fast paced
    recreational riding and club rides which is my niche. I am a 50 year old 6' 180lb man
    in very good physical condition and I do not have any flexibility issues. I know the best
    way is to see how it fits, but I was wondering about the ride of today's steel compared to carbon fibre. your thoughts?

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by big wheel4300
    but I was wondering about the ride of today's steel compared to carbon fibre. your thoughts?
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really work. Steel exists across a range, as does carbon, and they overlap by quite a bit. You'll only get a meaningful answer by comparing two specific frames under similar conditions of rider weight, wheel, tire, inflation, saddle, etc. Even then, it'll be hard to tease the 'real' differences from the prejudgments.

Sadly, I'm doubtful that you'll find anyone that's done a head-to-head with these specific bikes. I wish there could be a more definitive answer, but if it were possible, there'd be a lot fewer brands/models sold.

About the only valid generality is that for a given set of performance / feel characteristics, the steel bike will probably weigh a small amount more.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    danl1: the most savvy, unbiased and pithy answer to the age old frame materials
    brewhaha I have yet heard. Refreshingly honest, unemotional and unbiased.

BIKE GEEK
    Thank you for bringing this bike into my view! We have a local Masi dealer here in Omaha NE, but I was not too keen on the Gran Criterium due to the mixed materials (aluminum and carbon). This new one looks awesome!
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Masi Gran Criterium
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking at the Steel Gran Criterium geo, it is not a race bike. It has very traditional European geo, much like a Pinarello etc, with slack HTA and STA. One problem I would have with it is the head tube is short. The 53cm (54tt) has a 116 mm headtube. You need to add the external head set to that, but still about 140mm. Your Roubaix has roughly a 170mm head tube on a 54. You will need plenty of spacers to get your bars up anywhere near your current ride.

BIKE GEEK
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5
    Looking at the Steel Gran Criterium geo, it is not a race bike. It has very traditional European geo, much like a Pinarello etc, with slack HTA and STA. One problem I would have with it is the head tube is short. The 53cm (54tt) has a 116 mm headtube. You need to add the external head set to that, but still about 140mm. Your Roubaix has roughly a 170mm head tube on a 54. You will need plenty of spacers to get your bars up anywhere near your current ride.

I did some quick comparing of the caad10 geo and the new gran crit....look pretty similar....
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Agree with the assessment of the headtube as "short," so at least be aware that you might have to do some thinking about how to get your bars up to where you have them now. Of course, I don't know where you have them now, so I'm just throwing this out as a "just-in-case" thing.

I've had a chance to take a close look at several of the Reynolds 520- and 720-series lugged steel frames coming out of Taiwan now (am riding a very nice Taiwan lugged Reynolds 725 at the moment) and I'm impressed with the workmanship. You would definitely notice the weight difference between the Masi frame and your Roubaix frame, but once the bikes are built up and with you on top, that difference no longer matters. I would have liked to seen the Masi done with Reynolds 725, but that's just a personal quibble. Nice bike, go for it!
    Last edited by wim; 01-15-2011 at 11:35 AM.

BIKE GEEK
    I rode (and now have purchased) the 2011 Gran Criterium. The bike is phenomenal. I will try and add more later as I get some miles on it. Right now it is -11F and snowy.
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Looked at one today, sexy bike! Hope to purchase a frame only and build up eventually....Glad to hear Goodbarsix likes the ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Looked at one today, sexy bike! Hope to purchase a frame only and build up eventually....Glad to hear Goodbarsix likes the ride!

Burning Fists of Love

Omfg

Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really work. Steel exists across a range, as does carbon, and they overlap by quite a bit. You'll only get a meaningful answer by comparing two specific frames under similar conditions of rider weight, wheel, tire, inflation, saddle, etc. Even then, it'll be hard to tease the 'real' differences from the prejudgments.

Sadly, I'm doubtful that you'll find anyone that's done a head-to-head with these specific bikes. I wish there could be a more definitive answer, but if it were possible, there'd be a lot fewer brands/models sold.

About the only valid generality is that for a given set of performance / feel characteristics, the steel bike will probably weigh a small amount more.
    I LOVE YOU.....MAN
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5
    Thank you so much for pointing that out! I would certainly have missed this as I rarely have a problem with HT height. However, I usually max out the allowed stack height on my current bikes so I would have been really out of luck with this frameset.

I emailed them to see what the max allowed stack height would be, but I think this flaw will kill an otherwise beautiful frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I have prolly about 400 miles on mine and its a great ride. The new 105 shifts smooth and and the steel is really lively.
    The seat is a literal pain in the ass (i had believed i was immune to saddle sores til i got this thing [now thankfully changed out]) and the matte finishing on the ritchey cockpit is pretty cruddy (gets super dirty in seconds and scratches way too easy). I had planned to upgrade that stuff from the get go though.

I'd defiantly recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different.

For reference the 56cm weighs in at 22lbs w/ stainless steel speedplays and basic alloy bottle cages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I'm actually looking at purchasing one of these as my first bike. For those who have it what are your thoughts and what did you pay? Also would it be possible to throw some cx tires on it and it be in the clear?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Wow, very sorry I didn't see this before. I own one gorgeous 2011 Black Masi Gran Criterium, and I love it a lot. I also own a beautiful 1971 Fiorelli, Columbus, Campagnolo, sew up tires, 13 through 17 rear and 47 and 52 up front. Both bikes are very different, and I'm very lucky to have them. My daily rider is the Masi, and for the first two years I rode it, I just fell in love with it more and more...During 2013 I didn't ride as much because I now have a Boxer dog, who took up all of my time. 2014 will be different! One suggestion with the Masi... Don't shy away from taking on others, this bike is fast as I have beaten quite a few Treks and Specialized. It also climbs very well, so take on all those hills! It will aslo track flawlessly on the downhills. The ride is superb. I HIGHLY recommend this modern version of the classic bike. In fact, I think it is it's own classic.