RoadBikeReview Member

2011 Specialized Allez. Is it worth upgrading?

2011 Allez triple and 11-25 SoraShifters, Sora FD, Tiagra RD, Allez
    s500 wheels with Pro race 3 tires. Is this frame good enough to do upgrades? and What upgrades would come first?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Yes it is. I would upgrade the first thing that breaks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    The Allez is a good bike to upgrade, I have '10 and done a few upgrades. Components I've upgraded have been anything that's not at least 105, list:
    Brakes - Ultegra
    Crank - Ultegra
    Wheels - Dura Ace Hubs, HED rims, with Spaim spokes
    Seat - Specialized Avatar
    Grips - Specialized Roubaix Wide
    Next on my list is the rear derailleur, which is 105, but I think the Ultegra is worth it.

But like what's already been said, replace parts when they break. It'll be slightly harder upgrading a triple but I believe you could go full Ultegra. And new wheels make a HUGE difference!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I would question upgrading pretty much everything as listed above except the wheels. If something breaks and you want to replace it with something upscale, that is one thing, but to start replacing brakes, shifters and derailleurs when they are functioning well is probably not cost effective. I agree that wheels can make a big difference in how a bike feels; for most people less of a difference in how fast you go. Crankset, derailleurs I am skeptical that you would notice much difference. Shifters (not mentioned) are also commonly cited as an upgrade, and are quite expensive. Seat is obviously a personal choice.
    It may be cheaper to find another bike with the higher level components and sell the one you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWMass View Post
    I would question upgrading pretty much everything as listed above except the wheels. If something breaks and you want to replace it with something upscale, that is one thing, but to start replacing brakes, shifters and derailleurs when they are functioning well is probably not cost effective. I agree that wheels can make a big difference in how a bike feels; for most people less of a difference in how fast you go. Crankset, derailleurs I am skeptical that you would notice much difference. Shifters (not mentioned) are also commonly cited as an upgrade, and are quite expensive. Seat is obviously a personal choice.
    It may be cheaper to find another bike with the higher level components and sell the one you have.
    You are right, my other bike has full ultegra and I can't tell the difference except for the wheels it has, somehow it makes it faster and easier to climb. I think I'm due for a wheel upgrade.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe the wheels, but assuming everything else works OK, why do you need to "upgrade" perfectly functional components? A wheel set is portable to another bike.

I don't understand why anyone buys a bike with low grade components with plans to upgrade them in a year or two. Why not buy what you want in the first place? In the end, it would be the cheaper route to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    if a frame is worth upgrading and one doesn't have the money at that time, then i can see the sense in buying then upgrading later.

as was said, wheels/tires are typically the most impactful upgrade both because they shed weight and can improve the ride quality. also, you may want to start looking at that crank, as well. i save a ton of weight switching from an fsa to a 105 on my triple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Upgrading means different things to different people. Performance upgrades can be different than light weight upgrades which can be different than aesthetic type upgrades. Depends on what you want to do and how much money you want to spend. Having owed an Allez frame years ago I'd can't say there is anything wrong with it as long as it fits well. I decided to buy a whole new bike with most of the items I wanted rather than go through the process of upgrading individual components. Ended up being much cheaper in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This bike was my very first road bike when I started as a total newbie, plus it was a great deal used (like new) at $400. Now I want to have it as back up/ commuting, bad weather, training bike, but that does not mean it can't be better than what it is already. I think I'll start looking at wheels since it is the most talked about upgrade.
    Thank you all for your replys.