RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

2011 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3

So I have been thinking of buying a new 2011 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 with Dura Ace components. The LBS has one for $6,500. Is this a good price and do you think I can talk the bike shop down? If so then what would you offer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Dependingon the spec I'm not sure how reasonable the price is for a 2011 model. If it's still full retail then they should mark it down some just to get rid of it since all the 2012 SL4's are out. However the SL4's went up almost $1000 in price. A 2012 sl3 pro (10r) with ultegra is $3900 so check it out to compare. I got a screaming deal on a 2011 s-works and it is great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Dependingon the spec I'm not sure how reasonable the price is for a 2011 model. If it's still full retail then they should mark it down some just to get rid of it since all the 2012 SL4's are out. However the SL4's went up almost $1000 in price. A 2012 sl3 pro (10r) with ultegra is $3900 so check it out to compare. I got a screaming deal on a 2011 s-works and it is great bike.

Re-Cyclist
    That's about the right price, if the wheel set is valued at about $1K and other components are very good. With fancy carbon wheels it could be more. I'd definitely negotiate. I got mine for $5700 with SRAM Red and Zipp 101's.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thank you all for your responses. Another deal has come my way. I can get a 21012 Specialized Tarmac Expert for a half as much as the S-works that i was originally looking at. Besides group sets and wheels what is the difference between an SL3 Tarmac Expert and the S-works SL3 frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    So I have been thinking of buying a new 2011 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 with Dura Ace components. The LBS has one for $6,500. Is this a good price and do you think I can talk the bike shop down? If so then what would you offer?
    Surf City Cyclery in Huntington Beach, Ca. had a couple of 56cm S Works Tarmac Framesets (one solid yellow, one solid red) about 2-weeks ago for $2099. I think they were 2011's. Check their website for clearance specials. Good luck. I wish I was ready, I would have gotten one.