Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2012 Cannondale EVO frameset vs 2013 Cannondale EVO Frameset

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  allenpg 
#1 ·
OK, This is my first post. I need help tonight. I have a 2012 Cannondale EVO with Sram Red. I am thinking about buying a 2013 Cannondale EVO with Ultegra di2. I have someone to buy my 2012. I think I have found out that there is a difference between the 2012 frameset and the 2013 frameset. It looks like I have a hi mod frame and if I buy the 2013 with U di2 it will not have the hi mod. I do not race, I ride endurance centuries ect. I am concerned about the weight difference. My EVO is 14 lbs even. Will I notice the difference in weight and performance? Will the advantage of the u di2 offset the frame differences?

#2 ·
Ugh, why would you do that? Either you're exchanging the frame for an identical copy with different paint or it's a mild downgrade. You're swapping Sram's lightest, highest end parts for Shimano's second tier (heavier) electric (heavier) group. Oh, and it's gonna cost you money for this downgrade. I've ridden electric and it was a lateral move. There is no "advantage" unless you are better at pushing buttons than levers. This could be true for someone new to the sport who lacks dexterity and an understanding of how shifters/derailleurs work. It was a non-issue for me.

The bike shop wants to sell you another bike and some guy is stoked to get a sweet deal on a year old killer ride. You are throwing money away and will be riding a heavier bike. Once the novelty of electric shifting wears away you will have buyer's remorse.

#5 ·
The 2013 non-highmod will feel and ride the same as the 2012 model. Cannondale for 2013 have improved the finish quality of the frames.. so the joints and paint is much nicer. On the 2012, you had the old Sram so moving to the Ultegra Di2 would be a side move. The wheels on your 2012 were Mavic Ksyrium SL's and the 2013 will be Ultegra tubeless.. not bad wheels either. I would say go for it.

#6 ·
No way. Stay with what you have ... as previously said, the frame is the same and IMO the grouppo and wheels are a downgrade.
If you are going to switch go for a real upgrade, one of the H-Mods with DA Di2 or Red.

#8 ·
I had CAAD10 Rival and SuperSix Di2. The difference between Rival and Di2 is huge. Then I got a warranty replacement for Rival shifters - new Force and I realized they are good as Di2.

So you are going to get 2 pounds heavier bike with some questionable improvements in shifting.

Btw I don't have my SS Di2, it was sent to Shimano for rear derailleur failure investigation.

#9 ·
Tough call. I will say however that I rode the same bike, same spec's last weekend. One with Ultegra 2013 mechanical, the other with Ultegra Di2. After riding both back to back. Regardless of any weight difference (which I did not notice) ...the improvement in short, quick, fast shift stroke of the Di2 was way too compelling. Is it better? Maybe not. But I liked it a LOT more than mechnical Ultegra. (which is GREAT too) ...Cannot comment on the Trade offs from SRAM to Di2. Have you ridden a Di2 Bike? If not, you need to experience it in person. That will fill in some blanks for you in that regard.

PS: I bought the 2013 with Di2 after that test ride comparison!

#11 ·
I agree with the remarks about the frame, however, I think shifting is a personal preference. I had been a Shimano mechanical user, then made the "leap" to SRAM for about 5 years, then tried out Di2. Wow! I still have SRAM on my CX bike, but prefer Di2 for my road and TT bike.

I wouldn't bother going with the new bike unless you either don't like the SRAM Red or have tried out Di2 and were blown away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.