RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

2012 Look UD vs 2012 Scott CR-1

I am looking at a Look 586 and Scott CR-1 Pro as a new bike for me. I am currently on a Felt Z6 and have only upgraded the wheels (Mavic 22s to Easton EC90SL clinchers). There is nothing wrong with the Felt. I just would like another bike. I ride all sorts of terrain here in San Diego. Flats, hills, solo and in groups. I may start racing but not sure if I'm up to it as of now. My reasoning is to have a more responsive and stiffer frame without going to a full race geometry, hence not going to Look 695 or Scott Foil or the countless other options out there. I have about $3K to $4K to spend. I am 5'10" with 31inch inseam and weigh 185lbs if that helps out at all. I will be 30 in January and don't have any flexibility issues.

To the bikes:

Both the Look and Scott have full Ultegra groupset. Look has Mavic Aksium Race and Scott has Mavic Ksyrium Elite. Wheels are not a huge deal as they will be moved to my Felt but should be taken into account with price. I am looking at 50/34 up front and 11-28 out back.

Basically, I am looking for any input that you may have: craftsmanship, warranty/customer support, good stories, bad stories, and general discussion. The Look is going for ~$3400 and the Scott is ~$3600. Both are 2012 models so pricing is probably going down a little (or a lot )

I am due for a test ride this month or next. I should be able to get 30 or 40 miles on each. Obviously if one feels incredible and the other not so much, this post is moot. Discuss anyway, please.

Furthermore, do you have any other models that I should look at? I am not partial. The Look/Scott are on the list because both are in stock at LBS in my size and look good to me.

Look Geometry
    http://www.bike24.de/data/1410.pdf

Scott Geomtery
    http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/...original_1.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I would look into BMC too just because you can get one with Ultegra Ui2 for $3100

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I am not familiar with BMC really. A local shop (not the one I frequent) just starting carrying them. Only have seen 2 up close. I like the industrial look of them. I will take a look at them and see what's what. Thanks for the reply.