Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    A very thick casing wire bead Schwalbe that looks wider than the claimed 28mm and retails for $20. At 100psi they were way too harsh. At 80 they felt mushy. I settled for 90 and had some of each sensaton. They would probably be a good cheap commuter tire as the casings must be somewhat puncture resistant. In fact I just sold our 54cm to a guy who's gonna use it for year round commuting that includes a gravel section.
    Well, OK, so you could probably get a much better ride with a pair of $35 each Vittoria Rubinos. It looks like the bean counters won at the expense of ruining people's perception of the bike. If Cannondale really wanted to save $$, they should have gone with one of the cheap light tires that punctures when you look at it. It probably wouldn't flat until after the purchase. Just saying.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I didn't read the thread but the headline caught my eye. My shop has a demo fleet of '18 Synapse 105 disc bikes. I took the time to set up both a 61 and 58 for myself and took them for good rides (40mi and hilly). It is hands down the slowest* road bike I've ridden including my first road bike, a $450 1993 Giant. Oh, and it weighs more than my full suspension dropper post XC bike. What a dog! I was underwhelmed by the brakes as well. I noticed no improvement over the 105 rim brakes with alloy rims on my travel bike. Last year our demo fleet was Super Six 105s and those felt great (and were cheaper!) The road bike world has taken an odd turn.

The hillarious thing is we've had several renters (all old so maybe I'm the wrong demographic) who said it was the best bike they've ever ridden and wanted to by it. I'm like, what other bikes have you been riding, recumbents?

*I went hard both rides and barely averaged 20mph. Harsh, draggy tires. Wide bar and upright position (despite slammed stem) that caught air. HEAVY. Gearing with big gaps between cogs and a big jump between chainrings. Ths 50t forced me to use smaller cogs than normal and that makes for more friction. I was struggling to exceed 25mph and working hard to go 23 when my normal bike would have been going 26+. It felt like I was riding a hybrid or good XC bike.
    Been eyeing this bike for 3 months but after your post I'm having doubts whether it really is a good choice. It's also admittedly heavier than I would expect from a carbon road bike(9kg). Do you think it can be improved with some upgrades(wheels+tyres) or I'd be better off looking elsewhere?(Canyon Endurace is my second option but it's more pricey).
    Last edited by Dellarye; 09-29-2018 at 11:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellarye View Post
    Been eyeing this bike for 3 months but after your post I'm having doubts whether it really is a good choice. It's also admittedly heavier than I would expect from a carbon road bike(9kg). Do you think it can be improved with some upgrades(wheels+tyres) or I'd be better off looking elsewhere?(Canyon Endurace is my second option but it's more pricey).
    I would say test ride it yourself to make a judgment as to how fast or slow a bike feels. Most people have a different take about the Synapse than Lelandjt does. Trust your own instinct about this qualily.

As far as upgrades, I would say just ride it as is, but if you really want to upgrade something, tires are the most cost effective upgrade and will probably give you your most noticable difference in ride quality and feel. Wheels not so much. Try a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro G+. Or if you really want to go whole hog, many rave about the speed and ride quality of the Vittoria Open Corsas. But keep in mind that there are no free lunches. With the pros of the very supple comfy speedy tires come the cons of more puncture suseptibilty.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellarye View Post
    I rarely recommend that someone buy a bike with upgrades planned for it, besides something small like tires. Lighter wheels, shifters, etc will make it feel much more like a high end road bike but you'd probably get a better bang for your buck by just getting the next model up. If that's out of your budget ask yourself how much you want disc brakes because there's a 105 rim brake model that's lighter and $500 cheaper.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 09-30-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12