RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

2018 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 dilema

currently ride a '10 Alloy Synapse 5 but looking to upgrade. The '18 Synapse frame got a nice rework and I was all set to go that route. However, it appears the latest frame upgrades are only on the 105 Carbon Disc version as the 105 Carbon with rim brakes has the previous generation frame.

I'd like to avoid going the disc route for a couple of reasons, primarily due to the fact that I'd like to take my existing wheelset (Easton EA90 SLX R4) from my '10 Synapse and use them on the '18. That and it's $500 or so cheaper to stick with the rim brakes. Eastons are old as I got them on clearance back in '11 or so but I imagine they're still a good bet better than the stocks that the '18 comes with?

I understand the '19 is due out shortly though I haven't seen any catalog/specs on what may be out there if I wait a few months.

I know even the previous generation frame on the rim '18 Carbon 105 will be an upgrade over what I've got now but was really hoping to take advantage of all the new changes to the '18 frame.

I suppose I could see if the LBS could order the updated '18 frame and then pick up a 105 groupset, etc.. though I'm not sure that's going to be the best use of my $$.

thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy the latest 105 and sell the old bike and wheels (while someone might want them). Start saving to upgrade the wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    What size tires can that disc C-Dale handle ?.

If 28 or bigger, thatís a useful reason to go with disc.

As well if you ever want to go to carbon wheels, generally good options for durable wheels with disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    What size tires can that disc C-Dale handle ?.

If 28 or bigger, thatís a useful reason to go with disc.

As well if you ever want to go to carbon wheels, generally good options for durable wheels with disc.
    They go 32C .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    They go 32C .
    Then disc would be my choice. Easy to get a 2nd set of wheels and use on gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I don't ever see myself going the gravel route so it's really a matter of comparing the improvements made to the '18 frame for the carbon disc line and going with disc brakes versus the previous-gen frame (updated in '15 iirc?) that carried over from the '17 line if I wanted to stick with rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    If you are determined to get a Synapse, stick with rim brakes, and keep your old wheels, the 2018 rim equipped Synapse is probably the way to go. My guess is that the Synapse will be all disc brakes for 2019 as many endurance bikes will be. If you want options and arenít married to Cannondale, check out the Trek Domane. Trek is committed to providing rim and disc options across their lineup (at least right now they are). I currently ride an SL5 Disc with some upgrades and love that bike on every surface I ride it on. Plenty fast and super comfortable.

You could even get a 2018 SL frameset from Trek and just transfer over everything from your old bike if you want and use the funds saved to customize and personalize in areas you want to.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 11:53 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I should mention my primary motivation for the upgrade is a trip to France next year to do Alpe d Huez, Galibier, Glandon/Croix de Fer.. with that in mind, I'm leaning towards the lighter weight of the rim brakes and using the $$ saved to grab another set of wheels (Hunt or similar) if the need arises.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
    I should mention my primary motivation for the upgrade is a trip to France next year to do Alpe d Huez, Galibier, Glandon/Croix de Fer.. with that in mind, I'm leaning towards the lighter weight of the rim brakes and using the $$ saved to grab another set of wheels (Hunt or similar) if the need arises.
    Either of the bikes (Synapse or Domane) should hold their own there, but neither is considered light by weight weenie/climbing bike standards. Why not consider a Cannondale Supersix Evo or Trek Emonda SL or SLR with H2 geometry then? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 01:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I'll have to check out the Emonda H2 (ALR5 or SL5). The ALR5 looks like a really nice bang for my buck given its weight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
    I'll have to check out the Emonda H2 (ALR5 or SL5). The ALR5 looks like a really nice bang for my buck given its weight
    Makes sense to me.