RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

2nd year racing and need help with a stiff new frame

First, I want to introduce myself to the group as a new forum user. I am a 54 years old male and started back into racing this past year on my steel LeMond.
    Enjoyed getting back into racing crits and time trials (since back in college years), but, quickly realized that my frame has too much flex for getting serious next season racing.
    I would like to ask this esteemed group for recommendations for a new frame for using in crits. I have a good bike for time trials already, but have been confused by the hype around various race bikes and frame stiffness.

I am 54 years old, 6 ft 1in., and 205 pounds.

I Have been looking at: PINARELLO Prince SL, TIME VXR, LOOK 585,486, COLNAGO Dream HP, Orbea Orca or the new Opal, MERCKX ?? models, BMC ??.

Any words of wisdom or guidance for a larger....er.....more senior rider will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    well im in the same boat you are, but i dont have alot of cash being 23

but ive been told the cervelo 2.5 has little flex

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano50
    Any words of wisdom or guidance for a larger....er.....more senior rider will be greatly appreciated.
    They're all great bikes. The best advice is to ride them and see which one YOU like best. People will post here and each will say that theirs is the best bike they've ever ridden, and they will all be right. There are dozens of factors that go into choosing a bike; no one else's priorities will match up exactly with yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    as a 25 y/o Cat 2 recently told me -- stiff is overrated.
    except on the non-cycling board.
    dude, you're over 50. aren't you done beating yourself up with a ultra-stiff frame?
    But I actually think that the fork provides most of the feel of the bike, anyway.
    There are lots of way cool frames out there. You say that you are getting back into it, so you know the drill -- nothing that would make you weep to wreck.
    I see on the circuit everything you've described. Also everything from Merlin ExtraLights (which are bound to be the opposite of stiff) to Giants (relatively cheap and stiff, but still supposedly pretty nice-riding).

I'm 46, btw, racing for three years. I have raced my steel Pegoretti (wrecked one), a CF Fondriest (never laid that one down), a Douglas Scandium Alu (nice bike, maybe a little too forgiving), and a pretty stiff Pegoretti alu frame. Once I'm out there, though, I'm focussed on the race to the point that I couldn't tell you what I was riding without looking down.

Another perspective -- get the one that makes you giggle.

RoadBikeReview Member

Euro Frames

Euro frames can get pretty costly, especially those that you listed. For the same price range
    why not go custom? Steelman can do a carbon, steel or mix material custom built.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    another thought -- at over 200 lbs, ain't going to be too much that will be all that stiff for you.
    paw the catalogs, browse the websites, and you'll hit it when you see it.
    seriously. Don't obsess.
    it's how I bought all of my bikes. Best decision? who knows? it's a bike!
    Put Record on it, and you'll be thrilled for all of your days.

Banned forever.....or not
    A steel frame with an oversize tubeset will be both stiff and comfortable. Back in the "old days" steel frames had 1" top tubes and 1 1/8 downtubes. ( That's still fine for a 150 pound rider ). Newer steel frames went with a 1 1/8 toptube and a 1 1/8 or even a 1 1/4 downtube. The newest steel frames have a 1 1/4 toptube and 1 1/4 or even a 1 3/8 downtube. At your weight, and given the fact that you will be racing on it, I would suggest a tig welded steel frame with a 1 1/4" top tube and a 1 3/8" downtube.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    that describes my Pegoretti Marcelo (not that there aren't others just like it). It's a lovely bike. And I would race it but for Rule #1. Of course, Rule #2 is, if you won't race it, why'd you buy it?
    Don't you think, though, that most makers have designed around most materials differences? With alloys and butting and such?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    and of course rule #1 being "don't race it if you can't afford to crash it." i've been racing for two years and still can't imagine why anyone would race a new time, look, colnago, etc, although i see people do it all the time. a friend of mine crashed in june and punched a hole in his carbon aegis frame. he sent it to them in maine and they charged about $300 for the repair. but i can't picture sending an orbea back to spain to repair a crack in the carbon.

i've damaged two wheels racing this year. i don't think i'll ever spend more than $400 for a wheelset again, no matter how light/fast/carbon/bling it is.

at the price you are willing to pay, get a sweet new steel bike for training (e.g. a gunnar) and a "throw away" aluminum frame for racing. maybe a cannondale if you want stiff, oversized tubing.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I liked the opal. the Time was nice too, a slightly more comfortable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano50
    First, I want to introduce myself to the group as a new forum user. I am a 54 years old male and started back into racing this past year on my steel LeMond.
    Enjoyed getting back into racing crits and time trials (since back in college years), but, quickly realized that my frame has too much flex for getting serious next season racing.
    I would like to ask this esteemed group for recommendations for a new frame for using in crits. I have a good bike for time trials already, but have been confused by the hype around various race bikes and frame stiffness.

I am 54 years old, 6 ft 1in., and 205 pounds.

I Have been looking at: PINARELLO Prince SL, TIME VXR, LOOK 585,486, COLNAGO Dream HP, Orbea Orca or the new Opal, MERCKX ?? models, BMC ??.

Thanks,

classiquesklassieker

stiffness vs. reactivity

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    as a 25 y/o Cat 2 recently told me -- stiff is overrated.
    except on the non-cycling board.
    I think that when most people ask for a "stiff" frame, what they are asking for is really "reactivity". In French, the word is "nervosit\'e". In English, the somewhat literal translation "nervousness" has a negative connotation.

In seriousness though, if what you're asking is a frame that doesn't bend, you can't beat the old aluminum frames with teardrop-shaped tubes. And they're also pretty cheap. But you will probably get beat-up riding them, and the handling of these frames can be downright scary since they transfer every small vibration and impact from the road directly to your body. There you go :-).

When I got my newest frame it was not the stiffest frame around: you can find other frames with less flex than my frame. But it was well-built, and felt quick and efficient, and has great handling. I prefer that than just the simple measure of how much bend the BB yields when subjected to some number of force.