Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: The 3T Strada

  1. #26
    3T Cycling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Heh...30mm tires? On "Gravel"? At best maybe dry and hardpack MMR with some limestone or flint sprinkled on it.....and even that is presuming it doesn't get bedded in a valley in your tire, one chunk of gravel and those wheels are locking up and/or doing damage to your $3,500 frameset.
    I think the fact that it fits 28mm tires makes people draw the conclusion that we somehow decided this was going to be an endurance or mixed surface bike. We created the EXPLORO last year to bring an offering for those folks looking for tire clearance. The EXPLORO has road geo, the shortest chainstays you can put on a 2x frame with 142mm OLD and fits 55mm tires.

    The STRADA is not a replacement for the EXPLORO. Wider tires are faster, the STRADA is simply made to be faster for a given input. 1x is not for everyone yet no one draws a line in their experience with 2x systems and recalls the revelation in moving from 2x9 to 2x10. Most road 2x systems have a ~350% range. If you are looking for range 1x has a far greater spread than what you can find in a 2x configuration.

    I've spent a bunch of time on a 44t with a 10x42t and I'm currently riding the Strada with a 52t and 11-36t. I've become a fan of the 1x approach.

    -SD

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    206
    For me, my bike could be as aero as possible but when the engine is the antithesis of aero....it ain't going to matter.

    From mtb world all I knew was 1x. I thought 1x would be just fine on road/gravel. I can tolerate some space between gearing but I think that has more to do with me being new to the road. While I really do not like having a front D I've gotten very cozy with the Ultegra on my Domane.

    The more road miles I ride the more anal I become about my cadence and gearing. I would feel stripped if it were taken away and all I had were 1x.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    They just took every trend and tried to cram it all on one bike without regard to how much sense individual trends make when combined with each other.

    It's like a food company doing marketing research and seeing that pizza and ice cream are trending up so figuring Ice Cream Pizza makes sense.
    Yep, this pretty much. So much rubbish.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: TDI Hoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdave3T View Post
    I think the fact that it fits 28mm tires makes people draw the conclusion that we somehow decided this was going to be an endurance or mixed surface bike. We created the EXPLORO last year to bring an offering for those folks looking for tire clearance. The EXPLORO has road geo, the shortest chainstays you can put on a 2x frame with 142mm OLD and fits 55mm tires.

    The STRADA is not a replacement for the EXPLORO. Wider tires are faster, the STRADA is simply made to be faster for a given input. 1x is not for everyone yet no one draws a line in their experience with 2x systems and recalls the revelation in moving from 2x9 to 2x10. Most road 2x systems have a ~350% range. If you are looking for range 1x has a far greater spread than what you can find in a 2x configuration.

    I've spent a bunch of time on a 44t with a 10x42t and I'm currently riding the Strada with a 52t and 11-36t. I've become a fan of the 1x approach.

    -SD
    Hey, Superdave:
    Will Challenge Paris-Roubaix open tubulars fit on the Strada (Spec is 27mm but in practice 30-31mm, depending on the rim.)? I just love them on my Felt Z4. I have them on Zipp 30 Course Disc wheels. Next bike could definitely be a Strada.

  5. #30
    3T Cycling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI Hoo View Post
    Hey, Superdave:
    Will Challenge Paris-Roubaix open tubulars fit on the Strada (Spec is 27mm but in practice 30-31mm, depending on the rim.)? I just love them on my Felt Z4. I have them on Zipp 30 Course Disc wheels. Next bike could definitely be a Strada.
    Thanks for your message and inquiry. If you have the tires and wheels in questions just measure the cross section. I'm able to run 28mm Continental tires on my Strada with about 3mm of clearance to the frame. This is not enough for ISO and EN rules but it's fine in practice. The tires measure 30.8mm at 75psi.

    The Challenge tires will stretch over time so be aware of that caveat.

    -SD

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: TDI Hoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Thanks Superdave! The Challenge Paris-Roubaix tires on the Zipp 30 Course discs measure 31 mm exactly at 80 psi after about a year of use. I really miss having you at the Felt forum, but having you with 3T makes is much easier to buy a Strada 3T and components. Companies underestimate the value of having experts available for questions like these. Zipp and SRAM and Quarq have figured this out with great phone support and easy part availability and fast shipping. Fulcrum, handled by Campy in the USA, has not.

  7. #32
    3T Cycling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI Hoo View Post
    Thanks Superdave! The Challenge Paris-Roubaix tires on the Zipp 30 Course discs measure 31 mm exactly at 80 psi after about a year of use. I really miss having you at the Felt forum, but having you with 3T makes is much easier to buy a Strada 3T and components. Companies underestimate the value of having experts available for questions like these. Zipp and SRAM and Quarq have figured this out with great phone support and easy part availability and fast shipping. Fulcrum, handled by Campy in the USA, has not.
    If you ever have a Felt question I'd be happy to answer them and I'm still in contact with many of the staff there if you need me to forward and request for parts or inventory. It's a good crew.

    I think you'll find that a 31mm will fit in the frame, it just may not be practical and it will fall outside the minimum ISO clearance of 5mm. Let me know if you need help sourcing the STRADA. Our first two months of inventory have been sold out and I've nearly completed placement of all the November inventory so it is likely you'll need to find a retailer with one in stock if you're buying before Dec inventory arrives at our office.

    -SD

  8. #33
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,741

    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:20 PM.
    use a torque wrench

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Record Strada v Omega Strada Rims
    By mj3200 in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
  2. Lumen Strada or Light & Motion ARC for HID?
    By NoMSG in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 04:29 AM
  3. anybody got a guru strada ???
    By Gabriel in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 03:04 PM
  4. More info about an 80's Strada?????
    By DWR in forum Other Builders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 10:32 AM
  5. Campy Strada, Record, what is the difference?
    By racerx in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •