Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: The 3T Strada

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,156

    The 3T Strada

    Is this the future of road bikes (wider tires, aero, and no front der.)???

    3T Strada: Aero, disc brakes, 30mm tyres and no front mech | road.cc

    3T Strada 1x aero bike for rough roads - BikeRadar USA

    IMO, 3T really needs to rethink their pricing and not offering the option to add a front mech. (at least not braze on). Other than that, I like the general idea. I just don't see a lot of people overpaying for an extra 2mm of tires. You can get the new Cervelo R5, Specialized Tarmac, and BMC Teammachine and have a similar bike that will probably be lighter at a much more affordable price point.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Is this the future of road bikes (wider tires, aero, and no front der.)???

    3T Strada: Aero, disc brakes, 30mm tyres and no front mech | road.cc

    3T Strada 1x aero bike for rough roads - BikeRadar USA

    IMO, 3T really needs to rethink their pricing and not offering the option to add a front mech. (at least not braze on). Other than that, I like the general idea. I just don't see a lot of people overpaying for an extra 2mm of tires. You can get the new Cervelo R5, Specialized Tarmac, and BMC Teammachine and have a similar bike that will probably be lighter at a much more affordable price point.
    Not sure that "aero" and "disc brakes" should really be used to describe a bike.

  3. #3
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,462
    Not the future around my parts.
    use a torque wrench

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,521
    I can't think of a single ride I've ever done where that combination of "features" would be what I wanted.

    I can just picture a group of engineers opening the first shipment from China and the look on their face when they realized they forget about the front der hanger. yeah yeah it was intentional....but come on.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,156
    I obviously pretty much feel the same, but in being honest, there is a guy that works at one of the local shops here that swears by 1X on the road. He says he never plans on going back to 2X with all of the 1X crankset and cassette options that now exist. I haven't really tried it, so I don't have much to offer. I can say I like the options that a 2X system provides, especially now that 52/36 cranksets can easily be combined with 11/28, 11/30, or 11/32 cassettes. To each his own though.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Not sure that "aero" and "disc brakes" should really be used to describe a bike.
    There's truth to what you are saying, but some say the loss is exaggerated. Others say it is significant:

    What's more aero? Disc or caliper brakes - BikeRadar USA

    Road disc brakes: everything you need to know - BikeRadar USA

    Why riders like you need to go aero, wheel weight doesn't matter — and how the wind tunnel proves it | road.cc
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:01 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,127
    here is my endurance bike built in 2008. nothing new here. BTW I'm doing a 400km ride starting tomorrow night with this set up. Usually a single speed set up but I have a heap of climbing to do, so exposed cabling and barcon shifter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 3T Strada-img_1168.jpg  

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,521
    Yes the un-aeroness of disc brakes is exaggerated. But so are the benefits (for lack of a better word) of an aero frame.

    So I think Kerry's point was that it's kind of silly to split hairs to come up something to say about the benefits of your frame while not splitting the same hairs about the brakes you put on it.

    If the goal is aero go all out aero.

    This thing is just a Frankenstein of random flavor of the day bike marketing trends where the sum of the parts equals a niche bike for which the corresponding niche riding is unknown.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Yes the un-aeroness of disc brakes is exaggerated. But so are the benefits (for lack of a better word) of an aero frame.

    So I think Kerry's point was that it's kind of silly to split hairs to come up something to say about the benefits of your frame while not splitting the same hairs about the brakes you put on it.

    If the goal is aero go all out aero.

    This thing is just a Frankenstein of random flavor of the day bike marketing trends where the sum of the parts equals a niche bike for which the corresponding niche riding is unknown.
    Valid points. Fair enough.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    336
    The clearances seem very tight from those pictures with 30mm tires, I wonder if they are complying with the industry standard for clearances which I think is 6mm everywhere?

    And yes, price is off the charts just like the Exploro.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,063
    With that seat post/tire, that bike should have a horizontal dropout.
    I don't do X1, we have mountains around here.
    BANNED

  12. #12
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,907
    An "endurance bike" with no tire clearance...massive gaps in cog spacing...and narrower gearing than a double...YIPPEE pressfit BB!!!...Oh yea. And that is one ugly muskrat of a frame.


    Looks like a shovel and a baguette got it on in an airplane hangar.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,855
    And whom would be the target audience for this bike?

    Serious road racers ain't gonna buy into any 1x drivetrain bike as their only bike. And at this price, this bike is too much to be the "quiver killer" for any serious roadie. And the "adventure" guys ain't gonna bite either.

    seems to be like the potential buyers of this bike would be only rich hippity roadies with to spare and who also like to do some dabbing in the dirt but are not really serious dirt guys. I will bet that this bike will be shortlived. Not a wise inventment.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    And whom would be the target audience for this bike?

    Serious road racers ain't gonna buy into any 1x drivetrain bike as their only bike. And at this price, this bike is too much to be the "quiver killer" for any serious roadie. And the "adventure" guys ain't gonna bite either.

    seems to be like the potential buyers of this bike would be only rich hippity roadies with to spare and who also like to do some dabbing in the dirt but are not really serious dirt guys. I will bet that this bike will be shortlived. Not a wise inventment.
    My guess is that it will be the same crowd that likes the BMC Roadmachine, prefer the Roubaix over the new Diverge, love the Canyon Endurace, and/or want a trek Domane, etc. It's really in that class of bikes (all road, but not gravel race bikes) and there seem to be plenty of fans of that category from what I see.

  15. #15
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    My guess is that it will be the same crowd that likes the BMC Roadmachine, prefer the Roubaix over the new Diverge, love the Canyon Endurace, and/or want a trek Domane, etc. It's really in that class of bikes (all road, but not gravel race bikes) and there seem to be plenty of fans of that category from what I see.
    I couldn't even ride it on my roads here. Tire clearance that minimal and traction gravel thrown on the shoulders the DOR uses here would destroy that frame/fork.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,521
    They just took every trend and tried to cram it all on one bike without regard to how much sense individual trends make when combined with each other.

    It's like a food company doing marketing research and seeing that pizza and ice cream are trending up so figuring Ice Cream Pizza makes sense.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,521
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post

    Serious road racers ain't gonna buy into any 1x drivetrain bike as their only bike.
    I can see where 1 would be fine for people who live where it's flat and no serious wind. But why a buyer would want to eliminate the ability to change that some day should the desire arise and why a company would want to eliminate most of the market (people who go up and down hills) is a big mystery.

    Coming stock with a 1 is okay I guess. But not being able to change that is just stupid.

  18. #18
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I can see where 1 would be fine for people who live where it's flat and no serious wind. But why a buyer would want to eliminate the ability to change that some day should the desire arise and why a company would want to eliminate most of the market (people who go up and down hills) is a big mystery.

    Coming stock with a 1 is okay I guess. But not being able to change that is just stupid.

    I find my 11-32 on my unpavement bike has gear wider spacing than I want. Can't imagine how annoyed I'd be with an 11-40(+) simply in step size, nevermind range.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I find my 11-32 on my unpavement bike has gear wider spacing than I want. Can't imagine how annoyed I'd be with an 11-40(+) simply in step size, nevermind range.
    bingo!
    I have a bike with compact chainrings and 11-32 cassette, and it's VERY annoying to ride on the flat, so annoying that I can even say I dread, even hate, riding it in such configuration on the flat. The jump in gearing just kills the road experience IMO. Hell even an 11-28 cassette is already too wide for me on the flat. Of course I also think that I'm more on the side of a serious roadie where every little RPM in cadence matters to me, so the ability to fine tune gear selection is most appreciated.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I can see where 1 would be fine for people who live where it's flat and no serious wind. But why a buyer would want to eliminate the ability to change that some day should the desire arise and why a company would want to eliminate most of the market (people who go up and down hills) is a big mystery.

    Coming stock with a 1 is okay I guess. But not being able to change that is just stupid.
    Yeah not exactly sure what the thinking was there. Specialized did eventually had to offer a front derailleur to their Allez Sprint 1x too

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    My guess is that it will be the same crowd that likes the BMC Roadmachine, prefer the Roubaix over the new Diverge, love the Canyon Endurace, and/or want a trek Domane, etc. It's really in that class of bikes (all road, but not gravel race bikes) and there seem to be plenty of fans of that category from what I see.
    the narrow clearance around the chain and seat stays and the fork will be a potential issue with endurance oriented crowds. I don't think these folks are willing to sacrifice clearance for minimal aero advantage when they hit the gravel.

  22. #22
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,907
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    the narrow clearance around the chain and seat stays and the fork will be a potential issue with endurance oriented crowds. I don't think these folks are willing to sacrifice clearance for minimal aero advantage when they hit the gravel.

    Heh...30mm tires? On "Gravel"? At best maybe dry and hardpack MMR with some limestone or flint sprinkled on it.....and even that is presuming it doesn't get bedded in a valley in your tire, one chunk of gravel and those wheels are locking up and/or doing damage to your $3,500 frameset.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    the narrow clearance around the chain and seat stays and the fork will be a potential issue with endurance oriented crowds. I don't think these folks are willing to sacrifice clearance for minimal aero advantage when they hit the gravel.
    While it's probably not the bike for you (or for me for that matter), I bet they sell an adequate number of bikes. 3T is developing a certain cachet with the gravel crowd and someone that already has an Exploro or an Open U.P. might add one of these for road riding. Believe it or not, there truly is a number of road and gravel riders out there that prefer 1x drivetrain systems. Some people are also more than satisfied with 30-32mm tire clearance for road riding. Someone out there is excited about this bike, my guess is you can count on it. Different strokes for different folks....
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Mega-buck mass-produced frame coming out of who knows what factory. Faddish 1x on a road bike. Meaningless "aero" snake oil. One of those stupid non-round proprietary seat posts with the over designed and ineffective wedge clamp. Yeah, not a fan.

  25. #25
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,121

    The 3T Strada

    I have slowly become a convert to 1X. I have Apex1 on one of my bikes 38 up front and 11 speed 11-42 in back. The clutch makes it very quiet with smooth shifts. I have all the range I need but, more important for some, I use more of the range more often. As someone who will never rock 53X11, I don’t feel like I’m carrying more than I need. If SRAM made a version I could put on my older bike with rim brakes, I would seriously consider it.

    I am less sold on disc. Maybe it’s my Clydeness, but I get as good (if not better) stopping from Kool Stops on a NMSW rim as I do from my disc bike. If I rode a lot of foul weather rides I would probably have a different opinion.

    Larger tire clearance? Bring it. Rack/fender mounts too while we’re at it.

    As for aero, that seems a bit silly to me, but I’ve never been particularly aero my own self...
    Last edited by Opus51569; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:33 AM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Record Strada v Omega Strada Rims
    By mj3200 in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
  2. Lumen Strada or Light & Motion ARC for HID?
    By NoMSG in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 04:29 AM
  3. anybody got a guru strada ???
    By Gabriel in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 03:04 PM
  4. More info about an 80's Strada?????
    By DWR in forum Other Builders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 10:32 AM
  5. Campy Strada, Record, what is the difference?
    By racerx in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •