RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018

Question 650c Marinoni???

So, I'm a 5'1 female and unfortunately cycling is definitely one of the less friendly sport to me. I've ridden 700c bikes in 46~48cm sizes and eventually come to the conclusion that the wheel size is just too large for me. I ride mostly for daily commute, occasional weekend warriors, ~500km short tour maybe once a year on a 2014 All-City Space Horse 46cm.

A few months ago I came across a second hand 650c Trek and got it for cheap. It felt much lighter and more responsive than my 700cs, but later turns out the frame(50cm) is still too big. In fact it feels larger than my 46cm 700c bike with sloping top tube. So I've been thinking about selling the trek and get a smaller 650c.

On Ebay I found this vintage Marinoni:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RAR...l2649#shpCntId

Fit wise looks pretty good to me except the top tube still being looong (but even 41cm Giants seem to have top tube lengths of 50cm). I'm quite flexible (used to ride 54.5cm top tube, was like driving a bus though), and don't feel too stretched out on my current 700c 50cm t-t. It's not going to be the perfect fit but I reason it can't be worse on a smaller frame, right? And I can always swap stem if needed.

I have no intention of keeping two steel road bikes in possession so if I decided to go for the Marinoni I'll be selling both bikes I have right now... A little bit sentimental to let go of the All-City, also fearing the Marinoni fits horribly and I would have swapped an okay-fitting bike for worse...

So I wonder what others think of the Marinoni in terms of value and fit?

Please help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Fit - I agree that you're better served with 650c wheels. Trek does generally make two sizes below 50 cm frames, maybe you should look some more. That's all I can say about that.

Value - Marinoni makes some sweet frames! However, for that frame size it's a buyer's market. That bike is overpriced. You'll definitely have to replace the stem, and probably the seatpost as well. (or cut the seatpost, cuz it might hit the internals for he seattube waterbottle bosses). From looking a the pics, after you drop the stem about a foot, you'll also need to cut down the cables and cable housing.

Before buying I would ask for clarification on wheel size (I doubt those are 26 inch wheels - have him send you a pic of the tire label that shows the tire size). I would also ask for details on the wheels that come with the bike. Also have him send a pic of the Columbus seattube sticker to confirm the frame material.

And stay away from triples unless you really super low gearing.

What is this nonsense about selling two bikes if you buy one? That's n - 1. You shouldn't sell any, and that'll be n +1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the reply!

Pretty sure those are 650c wheels. Zoom in and it's evident hubs&wheel are campy; rims are omega 19 which came in 650c not 26". Just messaged the seller telling him that also asked about tubing, no reply yet.

Agree that it's overpriced. Since it has OBO option I'll just try that. Any suggestion for a reasonable offer to start with?

Too bad I'm super low gearing indeed (hauling inflatable paddle board to lakes, heavy!), and it's hilly where I live. 170mm cranks are too long I might put a uber-short 152mm Sugino triple on instead.

Well, as much as I'd like to have multiple bikes around my financial situation&lifestyle in general don't encourage that And a bike that fits reasonably well, hauls well with panniers and trailer, but still fast without those is all I really need. Currently I have two bikes only because neither alone fits all criteria. (but I know, it's never really about what you need it's always what you want!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That is an older component bike with a quill stem, just say'in. Anything on your other bikes will not work on this bike. It looks like a 7 or 8 spd, so you might use the triple; nothing there that would be bad for a commuter.

Just run the biggest tires you can.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before you go buying anymore bikes, I would take your existing bikes to a bike shop and pay for a detailed fit. If you didn't buy the bikes there, they will most likely charge you around $100-200 per bike, but it's money well spent and much cheaper than another bike. They may be able to work out the fit on at least one of those to make it work for you.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You've already acknowledged that even 50cm top tubes are too long for you. The Marinoni has the same top tube length.

You definitely need a 650c wheeled bike, but it needs a top tube shorter than 50cm. Or in today's measurement terms, you need a bike with a shorter REACH measurement. Save your money, sell your excess bikes, and seek out a custom frame. Lennard Zinn (sponsored a women's team), Carl Strong, and Georgena Terry all have the experience to make a bike fit you well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks to everyone who replied, it's been really helpful reading all your advice.

I've decided to sell my two bikes and get a bike fit in my LBS. They have a 26" Surly LHT frame in 42cm which sounds promising. If it proves to be a good fit I'll built it up.