RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Advice on a new Cervelo S2

Hi Guys,

I am getting into road biking and looking to buy a new bike that will last and possibly have a decent resale value in case I want to upgrade later on. I currently have a cheap Dawes (those generic ones from bikedirect) and I can get a 2013 new Cervelo S2 full Rival components for $2500 flat.

I wanted to get some opinions on this value.

Thanks so much!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Nice bike. Nice price, but resale value might prove to be depressed due to the fact that many cyclists fear concealed damage on used carbon frames. If you wanna bike that can still keep up with the fastest of fit racers, you might wanna checkout the Jamis Quest. Other nice alternatives would be something like the Cannondale CAAD 10, the Giant Defy 1, the GT Corsa 1.0, the Raleigh Record Ace, the Norco Cabot, or the Surly Pacer.
    Last edited by Zeet; 06-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently ride an 012 S2. It is a replacement for my 09 which had issues with the bottom bracket housing detaching from the CF. I would upgrade to a nice steel or TI frame that will last far longer than a CF.

Had there been any available, I would have asked Cervelo to send me a Soloist or S1 frame instead...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go for it. Carbon is nice. I love my S2.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Nice bike. Nice price, but resale value might prove to be depressed due to the fact that many cyclists fear concealed damage on used carbon frames. If you wanna bike that will last and can still keep up with the fastest of the fittest racers many years later, then you might wanna checkout the Jamis Quest. Other nice alternatives would be something like the Cannondale CAAD 10, the Giant Defy 1, the GT Corsa 1.0, the Raleigh Record Ace, the Norco Cabot, or the Surly Pacer.
    Otherwise, you could always take you chances with the Cervelo S2 ....
    Last edited by Zeet; 06-14-2013 at 04:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Never quite understood why Cervelos are so popular. The frames are outsourced to Asia, have had more stories about cracked frames than just about any brand out there, and the aero-angle is very over-rated in my opinion (rider positioning and clothing have far more impact besides which there are never any wind tunnel results that justify any of the designs)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Never quite understood why Cervelos are so popular. The frames are outsourced to Asia, have had more stories about cracked frames than just about any brand out there, and the aero-angle is very over-rated in my opinion (rider positioning and clothing have far more impact besides which there are never any wind tunnel results that justify any of the designs)
    This was always in the back of my mind, but I couldn't quite find the words to say it! However, they do seem to have a large share of fanboys!
    Last edited by Zeet; 06-14-2013 at 04:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thats funny that an asian outsourcing comment is coming from a guy who's screen name is Trek.

I prefer Cervelo's R series (non aero-tubing) but for race bikes they have been consistantly at the top of the game for a while now. my 2011 R5 frame weighed 800 something grams, alot of manufacturers can't get their production frames under 1000 today.

I think you need to decide if you're riding style needs the Aero S2 or not? If you are going to be in a group 90% of the time, you might be better served with a more traditional frameset. but 2500 is not a bad price for that bike, If I could get a P2 for that price (or less) I'd be all over it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Trek 5200 was made in America and currently on a Colnago c59 now.
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 06-14-2013 at 04:24 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Amen. In the DC area, every guy wearing matching team clothes seems to be on a Cervelo. Equipped with $2000 carbon wheels of course.

I too don't get the allure of these bikes. They're "designed" by some engineers in the land of a 10 week cycling season (Canada). Produced in whatever Asian factory makes the lowest cost bid, and marketed like crazy. In fact, I bet their marketing team has more impact on designing the bikes than the engineers --- it has to look cool, right? They've got a history of spotty quality control, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Parlee fan!
    Hi

Last year, I actually found myself asking the same questions about Cervelo. The brand didn't really appeal to me as well as the 'aero-ness' of the S Series. I always thought that they were nice bikes but there weren't enough reasons for an acquisition... until I tried one.

I loved how the R3 rode. The S3 on the otherhand was a surprise. It was a complete package that appealed to me. The parts chosen for the bike to the responsiveness and the comfort I thought was a winning combination.

Here's the link of my post when I purchased the S3 and recollections of first rides I had on it.

Got a new bike over the weekend!

The S2 at that price range is a good buy, at least in my opinion. Do let us know if you pulled the trigger.

Joe
    Ow.. ow.. oww... CRAMP!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    The S2 is a very nice bike. That price is a good deal, I paid A LOT more than that for mine. People can say whatever they want about Cervelo...but the reality is that 99% of all frames are from China..even the big names(Pinarello). One thing that Cervelo has that I like is that they have Lifetime warranty on the frame...how many have that anymore?
    If the bike fits well, and like how it rides...go for it...it's a great value...and if you feel the need to upgrade...the frame is great, you can always upgrade your parts & wheels later.