Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    med
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

affordable steel sport/touring bike recommendations?

Looking for an affordable steel bike for 60-70 mi day rides and motel touring. 700x25-28 tires, braze-ons, room for small paniers. Got recommendations?
    Thanks.
    med

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gunnar "Sport" should fit that bill perfectly. Not sure if it fits in your budget though.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Salsa Casseroll
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by med
    Looking for an affordable steel bike for 60-70 mi day rides and motel touring. 700x25-28 tires, braze-ons, room for small paniers. Got recommendations?
    Thanks.
    med
    What's 'affordable' mean? - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

med
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks, krisdrum. That Gunnar looks great, but I'm hoping, perhaps impossibly, for something in the $1200 range. I bike in hilly W Washington, would like to go 30-100 mi a week, and do some light touring. I'm looking to replace a Trek hybrid with something lighter, quicker, that will allow me to extend the length and comfort of day rides; on my present bike, I'm finding that 35 mi or so with hills is about as long as I want to go. Plus, I want to keep up with the road bikers. I'm 59 and maybe that's old enough that I don't need to worry about aluminum's shorter lifespan. Your thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    surly pacer, soma smoothie and for a bit more $ the salsa Hickey recommended will all do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What about a 'Cross bike like the Lemond Poprad. I'm pretty sure that has braze-ons and eyelets, is steel and should also be within your 1200 price range.

med
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Blackhat and Dave: I didn't realize until Blackhat's comments that "salsa casseroll" is a bike! I'll check the recommendations you've both made.

Got Force?
    Mercier Serpens w/ Ultegra. Reynolds 853. $1295.95
    For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Decrepit Member
    Does it have to be new? There are lots of nice eighties and nineties steel touring bikes around that still have many thousands of miles left in them and that could be had for a song. Cold set the rear triangle for 130mm dropout spacing and add new components, and you're good to go.

Here's the '90 Voyageur that's a great touring frame with double eyelets and canti brakes.

Specs
    -Stan
    my bikes

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper
    Does it have to be new? There are lots of nice eighties and nineties steel touring bikes around that still have many thousands of miles left in them and that could be had for a song. Cold set the rear triangle for 130mm dropout spacing and add new components, and you're good to go.

Here's the '90 Voyageur that's a great touring frame with double eyelets and canti brakes.

Specs
    Yup! What Scooper said.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    Surley LHT can be picked up at Jenson for under $1,000.

med
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    I love the idea of a used bike -- it will go so well with my used clothing -- but I don't have any idea how to find one. I'm not a bike tech-y. I guess I'll google used bikes and see what comes up. Thank you both!
    med

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

2007 Jamis Quest?

You may be able to find a 2007 Jamis Quest with Shimano 105 discounted to around $1100 this time of year. I found a 2006 (cool colors) for $950 a few months ago. Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by med
    I love the idea of a used bike -- it will go so well with my used clothing -- but I don't have any idea how to find one. I'm not a bike tech-y. I guess I'll google used bikes and see what comes up. Thank you both!
    med
    Ebay is probably the best source for anything used. Find some current models that are appealing and begin searching on them. You are familiar enough with the gruppos from the current big 3 (Shimano, Campi, SRAM), I'm sure. Look for a bike that fits with most of the components you are looking for. You may be able to find some real deals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    There's the Trek 520. A dedicated touring bike, American made True Temper steel frame, 105/LX mix, good wheels, rear rack, etc. It retails in the $1,100-1,200 range.

Trek basically started with this bike back in 1976 and it's still in the lineup.

I don't want to seem to be "pimping" for Trek, but this is one of their nicest offerings and, I believe, good value.

med
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks, Richard. I'll look it up right now. I'm thinking, though I like the used frame idea, that I'm too new on this to buy a bike I can't testride.
    Mary

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    There's the Trek 520. A dedicated touring bike, American made True Temper steel frame, 105/LX mix, good wheels, rear rack, etc. It retails in the $1,100-1,200 range.

Trek basically started with this bike back in 1976 and it's still in the lineup.

I don't want to seem to be "pimping" for Trek, but this is one of their nicest offerings and, I believe, good value.
    Agree with the thoughts on the Trek 520. Should you tire of it, it's a quick sell. REI offers a similar bike, the Novara Randonee. Not bad for a big-box store bike, actually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    med

I am unsure what you mean by affordable
    but if it means well under $1000 the Windsor Tourist is hard to beat

And if you would like to just see a fun presentation on touring -- look at this:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/staehling2007

at under $600 delivered the Tourist has all the features most riders want but normally do not find until paying over $1000

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

We have sold thousands of these to long distance riders with excellent feedback on them.

That is my admittedly bais view
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Ghandi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    I ride a Bianchi Brava - 2005 model - it is steel with carbon fork. The frame geometery good - the brazons are there for touring gear. I paid just under 600. This is a very fair price. The components are Shimano - they are solid and include 3 rings on the crank. I did replace the stem (fitting) seat and wheels - I was just too heavy for the oem wheels.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/05_brava.html

/h

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Bianci Volpe, is a nice steel allaround bike. Kona just came out with a nice lugged steel road bike with brazeons, but most likely over your budget, I'm guess'n 15-$1800, only seen it in a ad though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got my lugged steel frame in a cycle shop in oxford that specialized in restoring abandoned bikes for $75. tring to convert it to a fixed as been a bit of a pain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Ditto,ditto, ditto

Quote Originally Posted by blackhat
    surly pacer, soma smoothie and for a bit more $ the salsa Hickey recommended will all do.
    Very inexpensive and rugged...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Jamis Quest or Novarra Rondonee.

waterproof*
    +1 on the Windsor from BikesDirect (no I am not a shill, but I keep an eye on touring bikes and that one's a good deal). My only beef with it is the "road triple" front, but for that price you can afford to swap out the crankset with more realistic gearing and still have a good deal.

Also check ebay, here's one example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-NASHBAR-...QQcmdZViewItem

And Trek 520's are always good
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TREK-19-5-inch-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Just make sure you get the right size of course.

Creak.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast