RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I like what they're doing....But....

Quote Originally Posted by BikeRumor
    A gravel-ready disc brake version will launch at NAHBS thatíll hold up to a 40c tire.
    Yet another "gravel" bike with an annoyingly small tire size.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I like what they're doing....But....

Yet another "gravel" bike with an annoyingly small tire size.
    That doesn't bother me at all actually since it seems to be the preferred tire size for a lot of gravel racers and those that regularly participate in gravel events. I am interested in seeing what it looks like.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 01-25-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    That doesn't bother me at all actually since it seems to be the preferred tire size for a lot of gravel racers and those that regularly participate in gravel events. I am interested to see what it looks like.
    Use wide format wheels (Pacenti SL25, Archewtype, and so on)-and you can only use 35mm nominal tire size. AKA CX tires at most. Want to use fenders with wide wheels? Well you max out at 32-35mm at most. Barely a cyclocross tire.

Annoyingly small. Salsa Warbird, for example, at least permits 44mm and will most likely cost less.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Use wide format wheels (Pacenti SL25, Archewtype, and so on)-and you can only use 35mm nominal tire size. AKA CX tires at most. Want to use fenders with wide wheels? Well you max out at 32-35mm at most. Barely a cyclocross tire.

Annoyingly small. Salsa Warbird, for example, at least permits 44mm and will most likely cost less.
    To each his own, but my guess is most gravel riders don't care. It's the 40mm type volume they want. The actual tire size probably doesn't matter to them.

Forever a Student

The paint on this red one is crooked, it's not level.

The paint on this blue one is level and straight, so the red one is for sure a **** up or some sort of camera voodoo.

They seem to be pushing the use of Innegra, which is plastic. Polypropylene. So there you go old timers, a bike you can really call plastic now.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    To each his own, but my guess is most gravel riders don't care. It's the 40mm type volume they want. The actual tire size probably doesn't matter to them.
    You shouldn't make much of what the manufacturer says about tire clearance until you dig deeper.

To some clearance for 40mm means 40mm tires with some knobs and room enough to spare so you can still ride if the wheel comes out of true.

To others it means you can probably get in 40mm tires, from a lot of tires brands, but they barely fit and forget riding home if the wheel comes out of true.

Very few who want "40mm type volume" would be cool with the latter.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

The paint on this red one is crooked, it's not level.

The paint on this blue one is level and straight, so the red one is for sure a **** up or some sort of camera voodoo.

They seem to be pushing the use of Innegra, which is plastic. Polypropylene. So there you go old timers, a bike you can really call plastic now.

I think both bikes look great. The red one dos seem a bit off in terms of paint, but I'm fairly certain that is because of the perspective of the camera. If you look at the wheels, the front wheel is definitely closer to the camera than the rear wheel. I also don't think the camera is perfectly level with the bike, at least in comparison to how the blue one is photographed.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You shouldn't make much of what the manufacturer says about tire clearance until you dig deeper.

To some clearance for 40mm means 40mm tires with some knobs and room enough to spare so you can still ride if the wheel comes out of true.

To others it means you can probably get in 40mm tires, from a lot of tires brands, but they barely fit and forget riding home if the wheel comes out of true.

Very few who want "40mm type volume" would be cool with the latter.
    Maybe the best approach is for us to wait for the bike to be released and then see what actually fits. FWIW, a number of gravel oriented bikes are being made with clearance for 40mm tires and lots of people have reported enjoying those bikes.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/2-bicycle-setup/

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/1-useful-pointers/

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-defining-the-gravel-race-bike-37582/
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 01-25-2017 at 04:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Maybe the best approach is for us to wait for the bike to be released and then see what actually fits. FWIW, a number of gravel oriented bikes are being made with clearance for 40mm tires and lots of people have reported enjoying those bikes.

2. Tips & Concepts for Gravel Bike Setup - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

1. Useful Pointers - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

Trail Tech: Defining the gravel race bike - BikeRadar USA
    Has anyone purchased an Allied that can comment? I am seriously considering their Alfa model for next season. Other than the few early reviews from months or longer ago, I was hoping someone here could provide an unbiased opinion.