RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Any opinions on these four road bikes?

So. Been riding a hybrid/commuter (Giant Transend DX 2009) for a decade to and from work (9 miles, 300-500 ft elevation gain in intervals), and some 10-15 paved trail rides on the weekends.

I want to buy my first proper road bike and start doing longer road rides on the weekends, building up to long rides eventually, 15 to 25 to 35 to 50 to 100 miles over time.

Max budget: $1800 u.s. dollars
    Height: 5'11"
    weight: 195 lbs (but going down bit by bit)
    Type of Riding: see above

Here are the four (4) bikes I'm considering at the moment. Plan to test ride all four if I can find a shop that stocks them, hasn't been easy to do that to be honest.

Any opinions/advice/experience with these bikes?

1. Giant Contend SL 1 Disc:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/co...sl-1-disc-2019

2. Fuji Sportif 1.3 Disc:

Fuji Bikes | Sportif 1.3 Disc

3. Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc:

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...d-ce33f031916b

4. Specialized Allez Elite Disc (been told this is more a race bike than an endurance bike, is that true?):

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...=239803-133817

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Don't get caught up in marketing of geometry (endurance, race, etc.). Pick the one you are most comfortable on. If all of them are of equal comfort, pick the one you like (looks coolest, best color, etc.).

No one shop is going to carry all of those brands.

Fuji = Performance bike store
    Not common for a single shop to carry all of specialized, cannondale, and giant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Thank you. Good advice.

I realize that the bike shops are incentivized to carry one or two manufacturers' bikes only, so I'm fine with bike shop hopping to do test rides. Problem seems to be the shops only have a few models in stock at a time, and not the ones I'm interested in mostly. They're willing to order them in, but then I'm committed to buy, so not helpful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Coming into a good time of year to buy, as season is ending.

you may want to add the following to look at if you haven't already

CAAD 12 105, or 105 Disk , may find an CAAD Ultegra at closeout also

Trek Emonda ALR line

Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the good advice. I did look at the Trek Emonda ALR 4, but seemed similar to the four I posted at significantly higher price, although within my budget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Don't get caught up in marketing of geometry (endurance, race, etc.). Pick the one you are most comfortable on. If all of them are of equal comfort, pick the one you like (looks coolest, best color, etc.).

No one shop is going to carry all of those brands.

Fuji = Performance bike store
    Not common for a single shop to carry all of specialized, cannondale, and giant.
    Yep. Performance Bike is owned by Fuji. they make some really good bikes too. I'm a Felt and Cannondale guy, but aside from fit, if I was looking at these brands, my pick would be Giant, they offer a great looking package and excellent value. Heck, they are the only company that makes all of their bikes, plus they make bikes for other major companies. All of these are great bikes, so it's a matter of which you prefer. Specialized usually costs more because you are paying for their advertising budget. However, they usually are near the top when it comes to bling factor....sexy machines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    Yep. Performance Bike is owned by Fuji. they make some really good bikes too. I'm a Felt and Cannondale guy, but aside from fit, if I was looking at these brands, my pick would be Giant, they offer a great looking package and excellent value. Heck, they are the only company that makes all of their bikes, plus they make bikes for other major companies. All of these are great bikes, so it's a matter of which you prefer. Specialized usually costs more because you are paying for their advertising budget. However, they usually are near the top when it comes to bling factor....sexy machines.
    Thanks. Understanding that these bikes are pretty comparable and it will come down to feel and personal taste. Maybe someone reading owns or has been on one of these models and can speak to it, you never know!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    Yep. Performance Bike is owned by Fuji. they make some really good bikes too.
    Fuji bikes started as a subsidiary of Fuji steel who also built ships, and were marketed in the US long before Performance Bikes got an exclusive on the brand. A good friend rode a Fuji road bike in the '70s.

Did Performance Inc. buy Fuji? Wouldn't be surprised. Their bikes are of equal quality to Giant, no nonsense, tried and true geometries, with reliable component packages.

Performance discounts stock they can't get rid of up to 40% in the Fall. Just don't get suckered into buying the wrong size if that's all they have left, or occasionally all they can get from the distributor at the end of the season.

Performance used to sell Giants like hot cakes. Giant pulled out because Performance was underselling all the other Giant dealers and becoming a monopoly. So Performance picked up Fuji to replace Giant in the same mid to high level "price points." Same quality, same conservative design philosophies. If you like the ride, can't go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Good to know. Since I can't seem to find a bike shop within 30 miles that has the Specialized to test ride, and so far I've preferred the Giant to the Cannondale after test riding, looks like I will have a choice to make between the Fuji and the Giant after riding the Fuji this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Fuji bikes started as a subsidiary of Fuji steel who also built ships, and were marketed in the US long before Performance Bikes got an exclusive on the brand. A good friend rode a Fuji road bike in the '70s.

Did Performance Inc. buy Fuji? Wouldn't be surprised. Their bikes are of equal quality to Giant, no nonsense, tried and true geometries, with reliable component packages.

Performance discounts stock they can't get rid of up to 40% in the Fall. Just don't get suckered into buying the wrong size if that's all they have left, or occasionally all they can get from the distributor at the end of the season.

Performance used to sell Giants like hot cakes. Giant pulled out because Performance was underselling all the other Giant dealers and becoming a monopoly. So Performance picked up Fuji to replace Giant in the same mid to high level "price points." Same quality, same conservative design philosophies. If you like the ride, can't go wrong.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I think picking a good LBS is as important as picking the bike especially if you can't do your own wrenching. Same-day repairs, discounted parts & accessories plus free tune-ups can go a long way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Update: went with the Giant. happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i'm partial to Giant and Specialized I think the quality is better. Focus on which bike fits you better.