RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Anybody riding a Lemond Buenos Aries or Specialized Roubaix

Hello All,

Just when I thought I had found the perfect bike for me (Specialized Roubaix) I do a stupid thing and test ride a Lemond Buenos Aries. The BA had almost as smooth a ride as the roubaix, fit just as good and it's design blend of carbon and steel is very well done. I am a big guy at 6'4" and 240 pounds, and I have been posting pretty heavily with newbie questions for the past few weeks. I also test rode a felt today, but felt way to stretched out. My inseam is 36", but my arms are relatively averege in length. Just like my, well lets not mention that LOL. Anyway, the fit in the lemond just felt right from the start, but the cost is a fair amount higher ($1737). The roubaix, has a very smooth ride but I am concerned with the wheel strength of the ALX-290's and its an all 105 bike ($1200). The elite model is all ultegra with the shimano WR-540 wheels ($1600). I was concerned with the wheelset on the BA and the shop said that they would waranty them for life if I were to damage them due to my weight. Waranty for life seems odd, i'll make sure it's in writing. My goal weight is 205 lbs, I am a Mountain biker, and this will be my first modern road bike in a long time. Anyway, if anyone has any real word experience with either of these bikes, I would love to hear it.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

I like my BA

I have an '02, 59 cm. It was my first road bike, and it rides great. I was about 190 lbs or so when I got it. I'm about 185 now, so I'm not the lightest rider around. The Bontrager Select's are still running true as the day I got 'em, and that's after about 5,000 miles. Of course, you can't complain about Ultegra. The BA is Ultegra throughout, minus the BB, which is 105. Now, the '02 had no carbon, except for the fork, so I can't speak to you about that. I'm sure it'll make the rig a little lighter.

m1k
    Becasue you only need 1

I'll second the that

I love my '02 BA. I am 185 winter weight and 172 summer so a bit less stress on the wheels. I did crack it up - hit a guard rail and the wheels did not even need a true.

Great bike and components for the cash.
    www.shareyourlife.org
    We can all make a difference

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Dreaming about the BA

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I will be test riding the BA one more time this week and will make my final decision. However the more I think about it the more I want the BA. I went on a mountain bike ride today with a friend and we discussed road bikes the whole time. He has me convinced that if I don't get the BA I will always wish I did. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Marc Webster

Team Dry Heat
    Dec 2004

Unhappy Lemond Buenos Aries

I have a 1999 LEMOND Buenos Aries its an all steel bike Reynolds 853.
    Sounds like you are a pretty good sized fellow, I would be a little concerned with the carbon fiber/steel bike, the chain & seat stays seems like the weak link. When carbon fiber fails, it fails right now. You might ask for a second opinion, some shops just want to sell you a bike. I was sold my Lemond and found out later that it was designed for riders with longer upper bodies, I am a little short guy, I had to change 3 stems before I found the right one. I wished the shop had told me before I bought it. I learned the hard way. The bike felt good when I rode it but several hundred miles later ouch I started feeling the pain. I am having a custom bike made now. Check out the all steel bikes, you can't go wrong and it will deffinatly hold up for you.
    I am in training for the RAAM, you can check us out at www.azod.com/teamdryheat
    We are looking for sponsors.
    Rick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

I have a 2001 BA.

Quote Originally Posted by thrmaln
    Hello All,

Just when I thought I had found the perfect bike for me (Specialized Roubaix) I do a stupid thing and test ride a Lemond Buenos Aries. The BA had almost as smooth a ride as the roubaix, fit just as good and it's design blend of carbon and steel is very well done. I am a big guy at 6'4" and 240 pounds, and I have been posting pretty heavily with newbie questions for the past few weeks. I also test rode a felt today, but felt way to stretched out. My inseam is 36", but my arms are relatively averege in length. Just like my, well lets not mention that LOL. Anyway, the fit in the lemond just felt right from the start, but the cost is a fair amount higher ($1737). The roubaix, has a very smooth ride but I am concerned with the wheel strength of the ALX-290's and its an all 105 bike ($1200). The elite model is all ultegra with the shimano WR-540 wheels ($1600). I was concerned with the wheelset on the BA and the shop said that they would waranty them for life if I were to damage them due to my weight. Waranty for life seems odd, i'll make sure it's in writing. My goal weight is 205 lbs, I am a Mountain biker, and this will be my first modern road bike in a long time. Anyway, if anyone has any real word experience with either of these bikes, I would love to hear it.

Best regards,

Marc Webster
    Mine is all steel, but the carbon/steel mix on the new ones looks pretty sweet. The only real complaints with my BA is the paint chips off very easily and lots of flex in the BB area. The fit of Lemonds is definately different than most production bikes made these days and is usually a kind of a love or hate thing. I had tried several different brands before I tried a Lemond. It felt great as far as fit went and I do like the look of a steel frame. I have ridden the bike twice across the state of Iowa and have done several 100k's every summer since I have bought it. It is a very comfortable bike for long stretches in the saddle and it is also very stable.

Brian