Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    426

    Anyone ride a Catrike?

    Okay, I know it's technically a recumbent trike, not a bike, but I had the opportunity to test ride a couple of these yesterday. Impressions? Felt wicked fast, though the bottom bracket flexed all over the place when I really stood on it. Also a little worried about lack of visibility to motorists because you sit so low, but it was a ton of fun. Anyone else here have experience with one?

  2. #2
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886

    Re: Anyone ride a Catrike?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    Okay, I know it's technically a recumbent trike, not a bike, but I had the opportunity to test ride a couple of these yesterday. Impressions? Felt wicked fast, though the bottom bracket flexed all over the place when I really stood on it. Also a little worried about lack of visibility to motorists because you sit so low, but it was a ton of fun. Anyone else here have experience with one?
    Shouldn't this be posted on greybeardsandbellies.com?
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    73

    Community

    Try this site for trike info:
    Trikes - BentRider Online Forums

  4. #4
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,869
    Sorry, I am not fat or old enough to have any valid input on this.

  5. #5
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Sorry, I am not fat or old enough to have any valid input on this.
    I am both, but I have too much self-respect....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    495
    how do you "really stand on it" when talking about a trike.

    I don't think I want to make fun of anyone riding a bike, especially one which would allow someone with a physical issue such as M.S. to ride.

    Those of us who can ride regular upright bikes are fortunate. Those who ride alternative bikes still ride and ought to be welcomed into the club, not ridiculed.

  7. #7
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    how do you "really stand on it" when talking about a trike.

    I don't think I want to make fun of anyone riding a bike, especially one which would allow someone with a physical issue such as M.S. to ride.

    Those of us who can ride regular upright bikes are fortunate. Those who ride alternative bikes still ride and ought to be welcomed into the club, not ridiculed.

    If someone is in a wheelchair because they have to be, that's "noble" and right. If they're in one voluntarily, just because (for instance, at WalMart)...they're an asshat.

    Why should it be any different for recumbent trikes?
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    205
    For a serious answer, there is a Recumbents forum on bikeforums.net and there is a forum which is labeled as a message board on bentrideronline Both of these have a LOT of discussion of trikes recently.
    (I tried to put in links but they did not take.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    426

    Anyone ride a Catrike?

    Thanks, I'll check it out.

    "Stand on it" is of course a figure of speech - I braced myself against a lawn chair sized seatback and pushed like hell. And the thing flexed, but it also went like hell.

    As for the other comments, all I can say is it's fun. If I ever get to a point where riding bikes (or anything remotely similar) ceases to be fun, then I'll stop. Hope I never see that day.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    495
    Doc the stand on it was me sort of laughing at the figure of speech.

    Platy
    I have learned a lot from your answers especially when it comes to wrenching.

    I disagree with a lot of your comments regarding business, but they are your opinion, and they fall into a different category.

    Of course your comments on this issue are your opinion as well, but there is a difference. I will not make fun of anyone because they ride a trike, a recumbent, an entry level bike, a custom bike. I will not try to be superior because I ride faster, weigh less or am younger. ( the younger ship has sailed) I figure even the person on the recumbent is turning pedals and that is what matters. I am not going to judge based on if they have a reason for riding a trike or recumbent as the only real reason is that they think it is fun. For all I know they have a physical issue that forces them to a recumbent as well

    When you make fun of people because of what they ride it comes off as if you are trying to make yourself feel bigger by putting someone else down. Sending the op to the recumbent forum would have been better and more mature

    Perhaps this is not your intent, but the Walmart analogy not only does not work, but it is also immature in my opinion. While this is the internet, and you can say what you want, it doesn't mean you should. I do find it interesting that the owner of a bike shop would take this position, but once again that just me.

  11. #11
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Doc the stand on it was me sort of laughing at the figure of speech.

    Platy
    I have learned a lot from your answers especially when it comes to wrenching.

    I disagree with a lot of your comments regarding business, but they are your opinion, and they fall into a different category.

    Of course your comments on this issue are your opinion as well, but there is a difference. I will not make fun of anyone because they ride a trike, a recumbent, an entry level bike, a custom bike. I will not try to be superior because I ride faster, weigh less or am younger. ( the younger ship has sailed) I figure even the person on the recumbent is turning pedals and that is what matters. I am not going to judge based on if they have a reason for riding a trike or recumbent as the only real reason is that they think it is fun. For all I know they have a physical issue that forces them to a recumbent as well

    When you make fun of people because of what they ride it comes off as if you are trying to make yourself feel bigger by putting someone else down. Sending the op to the recumbent forum would have been better and more mature

    Perhaps this is not your intent, but the Walmart analogy not only does not work, but it is also immature in my opinion. While this is the internet, and you can say what you want, it doesn't mean you should. I do find it interesting that the owner of a bike shop would take this position, but once again that just me.
    He doesn't ride a trike yet. He just took one out for a spin. Ergo, making fun of recumbent trikes was safe and fair game. As a bike shop owner it's a requirement that I make fun of tricycling bearded beerbellies.

    For the record, however, I'm old, fat, have a beard, and have ridden several different brands of recumbent trikes over the years.

    It was all much more funny before you had to go and get all serious about it....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    71
    I fractured my neck about 6 years ago in a bike crash and was unable to ride a bike for, among other things, over a year. I tried a couple of trikes and went with a Velotechnik Scorpion because I could fold it and put it in my car, and the seat/neck angle was adjustable. If it weren't for the seat angle issue I'd much rather have had a Catrike. They are lighter and faster, plus folding a trike is a pain anyhow.

    I had a blast coming down Redwood Road and Tunnel Road, but not so much going up. And be warned you CAN flip a trike speeding down a hill - thankfully I didn;t. Traded for a two wheel recumbent because I thought it would help with the climbs, but eventually went back to my upright so I can keep up with the boys (and girls) on the hills easier.
    All that being said I really miss the trike and wish I kept it. They are very very fun. As for visibility there are things you can do, but keep in mind a driver can see the lane markers on the road so they can certainly see you. It feels more vulnerable I admit.

    I just thought you should have a real response. Bentrideronline is a great resource. Of course like any other dedicated forum they will be biased, with many people telling you that traditional upright bikes are stupid. There are jackasses on every forum.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Doc the stand on it was me sort of laughing at the figure of speech.

    Platy
    I have learned a lot from your answers especially when it comes to wrenching.

    I disagree with a lot of your comments regarding business, but they are your opinion, and they fall into a different category.

    Of course your comments on this issue are your opinion as well, but there is a difference. I will not make fun of anyone because they ride a trike, a recumbent, an entry level bike, a custom bike. I will not try to be superior because I ride faster, weigh less or am younger. ( the younger ship has sailed) I figure even the person on the recumbent is turning pedals and that is what matters. I am not going to judge based on if they have a reason for riding a trike or recumbent as the only real reason is that they think it is fun. For all I know they have a physical issue that forces them to a recumbent as well

    When you make fun of people because of what they ride it comes off as if you are trying to make yourself feel bigger by putting someone else down. Sending the op to the recumbent forum would have been better and more mature

    Perhaps this is not your intent, but the Walmart analogy not only does not work, but it is also immature in my opinion. While this is the internet, and you can say what you want, it doesn't mean you should. I do find it interesting that the owner of a bike shop would take this position, but once again that just me.
    Herbie-+1 on the response. OP your question is reasonable and not inappropriate for this forum IMO. You will get lot of technical information and help at bentridersonline.com
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    I am both, but I have too much self-respect....
    lol that says it all! Someone close this thread now ;p

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DocRogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    426

    Anyone ride a Catrike?

    Gladly. I've learned a bit from this thread about recumbents, but I think I've learned more about cyclists.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    Gladly. I've learned a bit from this thread about recumbents, but I think I've learned more about cyclists.
    Stuff like this thread is why, even though 98% of my riding is on skinny tires these days, I still consider myself a mountainbiker. I could never get into the judgmental, conformist snobbery that permeates roadie culture (and that the responses in this thread reek of).

    As for Catrikes, my ex-GF had wrist issues that prevented her from doing long rides on upright bikes. She tested lots of bikes as well as some recumbents, and ended up on a Catrike Pocket. I borrowed it to ride to work occasionally, just for fun. Catrike is a good company, and I thought the trike was a lot of fun to ride (especially downhills). Kinda like a little pedal powered go-kart.

    Visibility is an issue; she ran a flag to help that, but you need to be careful near parked cars (parking lots and such).

    For info without the snobbery, try the catrike forums or bentrider online. Lots of recumbent specific info there.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: crossracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,073

    Anyone ride a Catrike?

    I had one in the shop the other day. Lots of interesting things going on there with it.
    My only concern, was it sits so low there is a visability issue there. I mean really low.
    Heck they have a power assist for those things.
    Platy is good people, and after 25 years in the bike industry laughter is the best medicine. Some of the crazy stuff you see or get asked is kinda what makes it all fun.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    I'm new here. I joined because I ride human-powered spoked wheels on the road- hey I thought- cool idea for a community.

    I just wondered why you grannies don't ride unicycles? Golly.

    I ride a 36" wheel (That's a unicycle) on very long trips. Pretty lame that you pansy two-wheelers are chastising someone for riding a trike.

    I also ride a catrike pocket, having a smaller frame and being female, it's awesome. A lot of fun. Compared to the direct drive unicycle, it's a whole different ball game. Different, better in some instances, worse in others. Both the 36-er and the catrike, I recommend.

    Do you really need to be snobbish, about what is a clearly honest question asked in earnst?

    Too bad the lame-Os amongst you are spoiling what might otherwise be interesting, informative, and productive- and a downright smart conversation.

    Meanwhile, why don't you guys who insist that fewer wheels are so bad-ass practice what you preach and ride on one? Twits.

    Sheesh.

    So I'm a newbie, and I guess this will be my last post, too. Pfft.

  19. #19
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by averagingtwo View Post
    I'm new here. I joined because I ride human-powered spoked wheels on the road- hey I thought- cool idea for a community.

    I just wondered why you grannies don't ride unicycles? Golly.

    I ride a 36" wheel (That's a unicycle) on very long trips. Pretty lame that you pansy two-wheelers are chastising someone for riding a trike.

    I also ride a catrike pocket, having a smaller frame and being female, it's awesome. A lot of fun. Compared to the direct drive unicycle, it's a whole different ball game. Different, better in some instances, worse in others. Both the 36-er and the catrike, I recommend.

    Do you really need to be snobbish, about what is a clearly honest question asked in earnst?

    Too bad the lame-Os amongst you are spoiling what might otherwise be interesting, informative, and productive- and a downright smart conversation.

    Meanwhile, why don't you guys who insist that fewer wheels are so bad-ass practice what you preach and ride on one? Twits.

    Sheesh.

    So I'm a newbie, and I guess this will be my last post, too. Pfft.
    Your name calling is really not cool.
    Do us a favor. Start a new account and join us without the crappy attitude. Most around here are pretty good.

Similar Threads

  1. Ride Report: Brentwood to Santa Barbara, 90 miles and a train ride home.
    By DrRoebuck in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
  2. Ride to Enlightenment: Ride to the Grand Stupa of Dharmakaya in Northern Colorado
    By Pablo in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
  3. The Death Ride - Tour of the California Alps Ride Report - Warning Big Pics
    By Ridgetop in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 08:25 AM
  4. Recumbent Catrike Rider...Not Your Normal Household Cat.
    By Bigfoot in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 05:12 AM
  5. Foslom-Sacramento Group Ride: October 23rd: Rescue Ride With A Twist
    By folsom_rider in forum Northern California
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook