CycleMaven.Net

Anyone try the New IF Factory Lightweight

It's a lightweight steel bike.
    http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/factorylightweight.shtml

It's suppose to be lighter than ti. I'm very curious about how this bike (material) rides. If anyone knows of a review about this bike, could you please post it? Thanks

I did a review on the Cannondale Carbon Synapse WSD, here
    http://www.aidslifecycle.org/1713
    If you're curious.

wheel to wheel
    Are you confusing the IF Factory Lightweight with the 953 prototype frame they built?
    (I ask only because several threads have already confused the 2.)
    If so, they are not the same thing. The Factory Lightweight uses 853/S3 tubing and I doubt it is lighter than ti.
    "Gimondi un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Kish ti road

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cadence90
    Are you confusing the IF Factory Lightweight with the 953 prototype frame they built?
    (I ask only because several threads have already confused the 2.)
    If so, they are not the same thing. The Factory Lightweight uses 853/S3 tubing and I doubt it is lighter than ti.
    1250g for the Factory Lightweight according to Wrench Science.

It's not lighter than the lightest Ti... But the Vamoots SL only has 50g or so on it, but the Vamoots is 100g heavier.
    The Factory Light is freaking light.
    -estone2

CycleMaven.Net

There are two bikes...

There are two bikes, and sure, I'd be interested in in hearing from anyone who's tried either.
    One is the factory lightweight, as mentioned above, and the other is the one you mentioned; I believe in the 2007 catalog it is called the Crown Jewel production Prototype (w/ Reynolds 953).

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by estone2

It's not lighter than the lightest Ti... But the Vamoots SL only has 50g or so on it, but the Vamoots is 100g heavier.
    -estone2
    Yes, this is true, but 50 or 100 g is so little, your cycling jersey probably weighs more than that. Unless you are a complete weight freak, 100 g will not make one bit of a difference.
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

Cross Bike Collector.....

do some homework

Although IF makes great bikes, This is a tig welded steel bike with a mix of 853 pro and S3. the price is $2750 with fork. that's completely absurd. Carl Strong will build you (along with a host of other builders) a tig welded bike with the same tubing for around a thousand dollars less. For that price you can get a really nice custom Ti with butted tubes. I don't know what IF is thinking, they have become the most expensive builders out there. there is no way I'm spending $2400 (minus fork) for a tig welded steel bike. Now an fillet brazed Sacha White S3, that's another story.
    Have compassion for your fellow man

wheel to wheel

-estone2
    Oh, I'm sure it's light, but I have never seen a verified weight on that frame, and generally I don't trust manufacturer or retailer websites for that info.
    "Gimondi un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Kish ti road

wheel to wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat&SlowVelo
    Although IF makes great bikes, This is a tig welded steel bike with a mix of 853 pro and S3. the price is $2750 with fork. that's completely absurd. Carl Strong will build you (along with a host of other builders) a tig welded bike with the same tubing for around a thousand dollars less. For that price you can get a really nice custom Ti with butted tubes. I don't know what IF is thinking, they have become the most expensive builders out there. there is no way I'm spending $2400 (minus fork) for a tig welded steel bike. Now an fillet brazed Sacha White S3, that's another story.
    Exactly.

Kish ti road

CycleMaven.Net

so then, I guess the answer is no.

No one has ever actually thrown a leg over either bike, nor is there a review anyone could point me towards.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    Yes, this is true, but 50 or 100 g is so little, your cycling jersey probably weighs more than that. Unless you are a complete weight freak, 100 g will not make one bit of a difference.
    Damn
    Well, truly, even 400g wont make a difference.
    I think I remember Cannondale was advertising that the LE Carbon Jerseys weigh 280g as compared to 400-450g for other jerseys. Last time I rode without a jersey I didn't ride any faster

I would personally rather have the Moots. I like the idea of steel but superlight steel scares me a bit. All thin walls scare me, and I'm a Ti guy.
    -estone2

merckxman
    Jan 2002

Ride a 58cm?

Check out the unpainted Vanilla on ebay at the moment.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Damn
    Well, truly, even 400g wont make a difference.
    I think I remember Cannondale was advertising that the LE Carbon Jerseys weigh 280g as compared to 400-450g for other jerseys. Last time I rode without a jersey I didn't ride any faster

I would personally rather have the Moots. I like the idea of steel but superlight steel scares me a bit. All thin walls scare me, and I'm a Ti guy.
    -estone2

I remember one of my very first road bicycles, some heavy thing from Canadian Tire; must have weighed 15 kg or more. I could have probably used the 280 g Carbon Jersey in those days
    As for steel, the recent threads about 953 steel (in particular the Strong frame) seem very, very interesting.
    Cheers, Wayne
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

looking for ti lungs
    Sep 2006
    +1

IF makes a nice bike, but the recent price hike and the fact that their frames are tig welded drop them out of the running (for me). There are so many excellent builders who build frames every bit as nice.

Strong
    Kish
    DeSalvo
    Waterford
    Vanilla
    etc. etc. etc.

They've got a terrific marketing arm to be able to command such a premium. More power to them. But for me, I just pulled the trigger on a new road frame by Mike Zancanato. Complete custom, mix and matched tubing designed exactly for me, custom made fork, and amazing lug work for about 800 less than the IF...

My advice would be to look around; if you're seriously considering an IF, explore your options. You may decide to still go IF, and that's cool, but at least you'll be informed, and not go "oh sh*t, I spent how much for a tig welded frame?!?!?"

btw - nothing against tig, it's very strong, but it's not as attractive (to me) as fillet brazing or lugs, it's quite functional. My thinking is at that price I want performance AND looks...

YMMV
    Francis

CycleMaven.Net

You guys are killing me...

The fact is, there are a few brands of bike that I can get a good discount on: one of them is IF. So let's not do another laundry list of all the bikes that I can't get a deal on, OK?
    What I'm seeing from this thread is that there's a general resentment toward IF because of the rise in price, with no apparent rise in quality. I also see a bit of distain for TIG welding, for the price. Yes. I get that.
    All of that said, is there anyone who's actually had a ride on either one of these bikes? I'm just looking for a "factory lightweight" review. But sure, if someone's been on a friggin' prototype, of course I'd love to hear about it. Please?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    The Factory Lightweight will have very thin walled tubes ie. if you're a bit of a 'pie-boy' I'd look elsewhere.

There are only 4 or so examples on the IF owners site(WWW.IFRIDER.COM), so not that many about (yet)...maybe you could PM one of them and ask about their experiences?