Life is a 700c circle...

Argon 18 Krypton

I'm looking for feedback on this frame/ bike. I've done some research and have found nothing bad about the Argon 18 line, or the Krypton. It is supposed to be a good all around racable bike for a decent price. Anyone have any input on how one would be equipped with say Ultegra 6700 groupset and a Fulcrum Race 3 wheelset?

Intended usage would be training in hilly terrain, road racing, and criterium racing.

Thank you.

Converted Runner
    I spent a summer riding the old Krypton (lugged carbon) and I can say that it was a great all-around bike. It was comfortable enough to handle a couple of 5 hour rides, but also held up great to fast pace lines and twitchy crit-style workouts. Unfortunately I crashed it during one of these workouts and cracked the top tube.

I know that the new Krypton frame is supposed to be better (lighter, stiffer, more comfortable) than what I had, so I see no reason why not. I love the black/white/red color scheme (not so much the blue), and I think it would look and ride great with those components.

I wouldn't consider it a "crit bike", but instead more of a "short tour" bike; a jack-of-all-trades that does nearly everything well, but nothing amazing (i.e. not too light, not super stiff, not a "plush" bike).

Life is a 700c circle...
    Thanks for your opinion. That's what I was looking for, and thats what I've heard about this bike, it's a "jack of all trades." I did some research and it looks like even though some say its a heavy frame for carbon its about the same weight as my second choice frame, which is the Ridley Damocles... ~ 1.2 kilo's but several hundred dollars more money.

Life is a 700c circle...
    I got the bike built, I like it. It rides sort of stiff, but I like it that way. I plan to do sub-100 mile rides and crit races with this bike. I've only got about 150 miles on it so far but it seems to have the quick handling and good acceleration that I was looking for in a sub 17 lb. package. A few minor upgrades are in order down the road like bottle cages, saddle, and eventually a raceier set of wheels. For what it cost I am estatic with the bike. Props to Danny at Nu Vision Cyclery in Summerlin, NV for great service and a great deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I have an Argon18 Platinum, which was what the current Krypton was previously called - they use the same moulds etc etc. I have had my Platinum for a couple of years.

The frame itself is good - I am about 107 kg, a trackie and sprinter, and it is stiff enough for me so probably stiff enough for most. Any white paint tends to be easily damaged, but that is true of many painted carbon bikes.

I have, however, had considerable problems with the carbon steerer tube. The original steerer went "soft", and seems to have delaminated to a degree where the stem bolts on to the steerer. Yes, a compression bung was used as was a torque wrench, all by the good shop that sold it to me.

That fork was replaced under warranty, and the replacement fork failed in a similar manner. So I replaced the fork myself with a Pro fork with an Al steerer, and no problems so far.

Other locally who ride Argons that have carbon steerers have had problems with the carbon steerer forks - one had one snap, and he weighs about 57 kg.

The problemI encountered with the fork would not be a reason not to buy the current model Krypton - it is a nice frame. Just keep an eye on the fork.

Life is a 700c circle...
    I never heard about any fork issues, hmmm...

I bought the bike from a good shop who promised to warranty anything that they sold me so I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the feedback.