Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008

Assos Goomah Frameset?

Any one know what the deal is with this Assos branded frame?

Assos Goomah G731 Frameset - Excel Sports

Is it as good as their bibs, or hype like their bibs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Assos Goomah Frameset?-101211-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like anything else they make- I wouldn't pay full price and it's probably no better than the umpteen other framesets out there you can get for much less.
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Assos = hype? Really.

What do they know about making bikes? Surely these are stamped out in some factory in China right after they do a run of Specialized and right before they make the Fujis. Its a real cool name though. I'm holding out for a Nike frame myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Amazing how many people will offer their 'expertise' when they know nothing about bike manufacturing or Assos' involvement in it. For one, Assos produced the first carbon fiber frame way back in 1976. This frame is their design with a number of their partners. I've seen one in person - it's a beautiful frame. The only weakness was an integrated seatpost on earlier versions, which they've now redesigned (except it's still a proprietary post).

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Assos = hype? Really.

What do they know about making bikes? Surely these are stamped out in some factory in China right after they do a run of Specialized and right before they make the Fujis. Its a real cool name though. I'm holding out for a Nike frame myself.

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Frame is made in Taiwan.

Nothing special about this frame. Just like a zillion others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Frame is made in Taiwan.

Nothing special about this frame. Just like a zillion others.
    First of all......great. That's where the carbon expertise is.

What's your experience with/knowledge of the frame that has led you to this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    First of all......great. That's where the carbon expertise is.

What's your experience with/knowledge of the frame that has led you to this conclusion?
    First of all, you're wrong. That's not where "all the carbon expertise is." Maybe you can inform Time, Cyfac, Carbonsports, THM, Enve, and many other companies who manufacture in-house of your theory.

Knowledge of the frame: It's a frame made by a partnership with Assos (a clothing manufacturer) with a company called Goomah S.A.. Big name in cycling right there. The latter just outsourced production to Asia, just like tons of companies such as Stradalli, etc.

Just another generic frame hoping to leverage a name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    First of all, you're wrong. That's not where "all the carbon expertise is." Maybe you can inform Time, Cyfac, Carbonsports, THM, Enve, and many other companies who manufacture in-house of your theory.
    If you're going to quote what I said, try quoting what I said. I didn't say it was 'all' there.

Knowing who makes a frame doesn't say anything about to me. Have you actually ridden the frame or know something pertinent about it?

If you're going to quote what I said, try quoting what I said. I didn't say it was 'all' there.

Knowing who makes a frame doesn't say anything about to me. Have you actually ridden the frame or know something pertinent about it?
    When you say THE carbon expertise is there, it implies more than some, as in all of it. Otherwise were you just saying that some carbon expertise exists in Taiwan? Well, no kidding.

Knowing who makes a frame says a lot to me. If you say, here's a frame made by Time vs. here's a frame made by some unnamed factory in Asia, that tells me quite a bit, actually. I don't have to ride every single frame to draw some reasonable conclusions about a frame. I can do that based on available information, such as who makes it, how much experience do they have, where is it made, how is it made.

This looks like your average run of the mill monocoque frame. As expected, it quickly found itself on the blowout rack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you implied the frame was 'nothing special' 'like a zillion others' because it was made in Taiwan. That's a meaningless assertion. Almost all top end frames are made in Taiwan (to manufacturer spec). Some of the carbon manufacturing partners are leaders in carbon manufacturing R&D as well - AIM developed the anti-wrinkle process used in Pinarello and other frames, for example. The Assos frame isn't more similar to Taiwan frames because its made in the same country. Companies choose Taiwanese manufacturing partners because they have high quality standards (and more are leaving for mainland China because it's cheaper).

FWIW, I've never met a serious racer who preferred their Time frame over a Taiwanese one - I know of one US national champion who sold his Time frame as fast as he could. Tom Boonen lost some races due to his Time frame auto-shifting under load.

When you say THE carbon expertise is there, it implies more than some, as in all of it. Otherwise were you just saying that some carbon expertise exists in Taiwan? Well, no kidding.

Knowing who makes a frame says a lot to me. If you say, here's a frame made by Time vs. here's a frame made by some unnamed factory in Asia, that tells me quite a bit, actually. I don't have to ride every single frame to draw some reasonable conclusions about a frame. I can do that based on available information, such as who makes it, how much experience do they have, where is it made, how is it made.

This looks like your average run of the mill monocoque frame. As expected, it quickly found itself on the blowout rack.

User is infamous around
    I'd just like to know what about that frame is worth $2k+ as opposed to any of the other 30 odd "halo" bike frames out there besides the name/history of Assos?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Here's the deal. A friend of mine mentioned to me he is considering this frame because he knows someone at Assos who can help him out. I figure if there was any info to be passed on from here, I would. But before telling him blah blah I wanted to know if you actually knew anything or jumped to a conclustion based on meaningless information. I now have my answer to that.

And by the way, although the Time I tried out felt pretty nice, there is no way in heck I'd choose a Time over a Storck (not even close) which I believe is made in Taiwan by an unnamed factory.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Here's the deal. A friend of mine mentioned to me he is considering this frame because he knows someone at Assos who can help him out. I figure if there was any info to be passed on from here, I would. But before telling him blah blah I wanted to know if you actually knew anything or jumped to a conclustion based on meaningless information. I now have my answer to that.

And by the way, although the Time I tried out felt pretty nice, there is no way in heck I'd choose a Time over a Storck (not even close) which I believe is made in Taiwan by an unnamed factory.
    Seems like you knew the answers to all the questions before you posted.

Surely there's lots of expertise making carbon fiber bikes in China and Taiwan. I guess what I and some others around here feel is that so many bike companies don't make bikes anymore, they just hire a Chinese firm to make them and put their decals on them, so how is one really much different from another? All most bike companies manufacture anymore are marketing campaigns and press releases. Its just an economic reality like any other business, but its kind of sad. If I were going to buy a Chinese carbon bike, I'd look at either what Neuvation sells, or maybe Performance Scattante. At least you're not paying for the marketing or the hype. As far as what the pros ride, who cares. They ride what they get paid to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    So, all the back and forth about most bike companies having frames manufactured in Asia doesn't get at the original question - anybody know anything about THIS frame?

Over the years I've owned two Look frames, both manufactured in their factory in Tunisia then finished in France. They did not ride the same, although manufactured in the same country for the same bike company. So if someone asks about another Look frame I've never ridden, telling that person that Look's frame factory is in Tunisia doesn't answer the question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the manufacturer role - companies like Specialized etc are design houses. They do the R&D, and spec the frame and own the molds etc. The manufacturer makes the frame according to those specs. If anything, this is just the logical extension of comparative advantage. The manufacturer has more expertise and leverages economies of scale. The result is a superior manufacturing process, not an inferior one.

I don't know why there's such a misconception about this process and the idea that the frames are somehow generic as a result. Lots of major industries (like athletic shoes, electronics) use the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Seems like you knew the answers to all the questions before you posted.

Surely there's lots of expertise making carbon fiber bikes in China and Taiwan. I guess what I and some others around here feel is that so many bike companies don't make bikes anymore, they just hire a Chinese firm to make them and put their decals on them, so how is one really much different from another? All most bike companies manufacture anymore are marketing campaigns and press releases. Its just an economic reality like any other business, but its kind of sad. If I were going to buy a Chinese carbon bike, I'd look at either what Neuvation sells, or maybe Performance Scattante. At least you're not paying for the marketing or the hype. As far as what the pros ride, who cares. They ride what they get paid to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Assos Goomah Frameset?-imag0041.jpg
    Funny thing is Assos were one of the original innovators in Carbon. 1976.