RoadBikeReview Member

Battle of the Used: Parlee Z3 vs. Serotta Meivici

Howdy all, this is hypothetical question now since the Meivici I was eyeing sold a few weeks ago. But I just found a pretty good priced Z3 complete bike (DA/Ultegra mix, Zipp CSC wheels-would have to sell off the Shimano stuff since I am now a Campy guy) that I am lusting after. It made me start thinking what I would want more, the Z3 or the Meivici. Again, this is hypothetical because I have 2 other frames in the que that will need to be built up first and I love my Colnago Ext C so realistically I won't be buying another bike for a while. But I always want another one (or four) more carbon frames!!

Just a couple of my thoughts on both frames. Parlees have steep HT angle (73.5) which I find odd. Do they do some magic with rake and trail to compensate for the very quick handling that is normally associated with steep HT angles? I've seen a few Serotta Meivicis on the 'bay and CL in the past 6 months at drastically reduced prices (from an MSRP of $8000 to less than $2500). Makes me wonder why? Is it not all that it's cracked up to be? Is it just the economy? I've always lusted after the Meivici, Parlee Z1 (I like traditional diamond better than sloping TTs), and the original Fondriest TF1. So in my pipe dream, which one should I get and why?
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have not ridden a Meivici but have a Z3. 73.5 is not a particularly steep ht angle. My Strong steel frame is the same for both seat and head tube. The Parlee that I rode felt like a stage race type bike....quick handling but not twitchy, strong, stiff and well.....like a really good carbon bike should.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I've heard that Meivici's are incredible and it is weird to see them going for 35% of original cost. Maybe it's due to the fact they are "custom geometry builds" but then again, so are most Parlee's.
    I've owned a Parlee Z1 and it was a custom build but fit me ok. I think it's HT angle was 73.5 also, not really that odd. I think my ST was 73 with 57 TT. I loved the Parlee, it was a great riding bike.
    Man, I don't know what to tell you, they are both great builders. I'd just take the one with the best geometry and less scratches. I also had a Crumpton for awhile, it was also a nice bike. Sold that one because it was a bit too small. My 2 favs now are a Peg Love #3 and a Cannondale Supersix but they fit me a little better and they are new to me.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varoadie
    I've heard that Meivici's are incredible and it is weird to see them going for 35% of original cost. Maybe it's due to the fact they are "custom geometry builds" but then again, so are most Parlee's.
    I've owned a Parlee Z1 and it was a custom build but fit me ok. I think it's HT angle was 73.5 also, not really that odd. I think my ST was 73 with 57 TT. I loved the Parlee, it was a great riding bike.
    Man, I don't know what to tell you, they are both great builders. I'd just take the one with the best geometry and less scratches. I also had a Crumpton for awhile, it was also a nice bike. Sold that one because it was a bit too small. My 2 favs now are a Peg Love #3 and a Cannondale Supersix but they fit me a little better and they are new to me.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Wow! You sold your Parlee and your Crumpton? Those are supposed to be keepers! Was the Crumpton a custom build too? I can't believe both of those guys didn't dial it in and nail it during the custom fitting. Why did you sell the Parlee? Thanks.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearguywb
    I have not ridden a Meivici but have a Z3. 73.5 is not a particularly steep ht angle. My Strong steel frame is the same for both seat and head tube. The Parlee that I rode felt like a stage race type bike....quick handling but not twitchy, strong, stiff and well.....like a really good carbon bike should.
    Did you own a Z3 or test road it? If you owned it, wondering why you sold it. Those are supposed to be lifetime keepers and I'm trying to figure out why guys sell their Parlees, Crumptons, Meivicis, etc. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Ride-Fly...why did I sell those bikes you ask? Well, I bought the Parlee and Crumpton second-hand. I sold the Parlee for 2 reasons, the headtube was too long (didn't like the aestheics) and I needed the money at the time. Great bikes, both, I can always get another if I feel the urge. I also got the Crumpton used and it was just too small....and didn't want to run too many spacers and just wanted another bike more than that one. I might get another someday but right now I have more bikes than I can ride anyway! So...I ended up with one bike with too-long of a HT and one too short. Since then, I've learned to carefully check every dimension before pulling the trigger!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Does the selling on high-end customs generally mean folks are not as impressed with having a bike made especially for them as they thought they'd be?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sethkauf View Post
    Does the selling on high-end customs generally mean folks are not as impressed with having a bike made especially for them as they thought they'd be?
    No. It just means that something new and shiny is available and they WANT the new toy.

Parlee has a new Z Zero model with disk brakes and probably Di2 eleven speed. In fact I talked to a buddy about an hour ago who will probably get one.

PS - he has a Seven now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you need custom, and in almost all cases you don't, get a new one built to meet your requirements - whatever they may be. Otherwise, get a stock bike - but be sure to get one that is the appropriate size. The standard available adjustments will then allow you to dial it in perfectly.

Customs are a risk on the used market. Often the owners don't tell you the full story behind the build, and instead just talk about the measurements. This is one reason they depreciate so much. I consider the risk too great and would not touch one. But I don't have to since stock sizes work fine for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    yeah,i think so, It just means that something new and shiny is available and they WANT the new toy