Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010

beater bike for trainer Trek 1000????

so i bought a new Tarmac Comp a few months ago, and i now want a cheaper bike to slap on my trainer for my nightly little 45 minute spin fest.
    However i dont feel like taking the tarmac off every night and fooling with a training tire and all, so i figured i would hit up the LBS and see what they had.

Went today and owner has a trek 1000 that he is taking back from a customer who wants a Bianchi built up for him. Said the Trek is in great condition, they guy just wanted something a little nice or higher end i guess.

Anyways he told me he wants $500 for it, but he would sell it to me for $300. Im not sure if its a 3 week old one, or 3 year old one, but from the sounds of it the guy hasnt had it long and decided he wanted a nicer one...

Wouldnt you think $300 is a good price for a Trek 1000. He said its solid black ( dont know if that helps as far as determining the year or not). He'll have it in the shop by the end of the week and im pretty positive im going to buy it...

Im looking for something strictly to slap on the trainer and never take it off again...

Any Trek 1000 owners have any insight on this bike? thanks
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2011 Tarmac Comp
    MTB: 2011 Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Rockhopper Expert
    Trainer : Trek 1000

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does Trek make good beaters?
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    i dont really mean " beater" basically just one to slap on the trainer and never take off again
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Does Trek make good beaters?
    Any Trek makes a good beater bike.

I kid, I kid.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rjp diver View Post
    does trek make good beaters?
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    j/k
    Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    i dont really mean " beater" basically just one to slap on the trainer and never take off again
    That's not polite

No bike should ever be strapped to a trainer never to see the lite of day agien

At least take her out for winter and foul weather rides

Otherwise that's just bad bike karma and you don't need that hanging over you

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullvine View Post
    That's not polite

No bike should ever be strapped to a trainer never to see the lite of day agien

At least take her out for winter and foul weather rides

Otherwise that's just bad bike karma and you don't need that hanging over you
    you're right.... I would hate for someone to strap me to a cheapo trainer and leave me to die!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Trek 1000 is more than a couple years old. They have been the 1.2 for a few years now. Regardless, if the bike is in good shape, I don't think $300 is too much. It would be the high end of what I would pay.

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    you're right.... I would hate for someone to strap me to a cheapo trainer and leave me to die!!!
    I wish someone would do that to me. I would be a heck of a lot faster!
    The one stop spot for the wanna-be pros out there. Bikes, gear, deals, life...
    http://shouldbetraining.blogspot.com/

My eBay Store

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Five years ago I rescued a seven-year-old Trek 1000 that had been trapped in a trainer for three years. It thanks me with every ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I think buying an old bike and giving a second life is a good thing. Sure it doesn't see the road, but it's being ridden and serving a purpose. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I bought an old frame off eBay, took some old wheels and parts, and made a dedicated trainer bike. The key thing is to set it up just like your outside bike.
    Makes life much easier and saves the wear and tear on your road bike drivetrain.

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    yah im sure im going to get it.... the guy is supposed to be in with it this week to pick up his new bike and trade that one in.... as long as it isnt the flatbar one which im going to highly assume its not. im pretty sure i'll give the LBS $300 for it, as long as the wheels are true and it shifts well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    .......... im pretty sure i'll give the LBS $300 for it, as long as the wheels are true and it shifts well.
    In reality you would have a hard time putting anything together for much less (if any) unless you wanted to spend a lot of time and energy on it.

Time and energy better spent riding the trainer!

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    just went check out the Trek and it appears to be a pretty solid bike, brakes were still good, frame was in nice shape with minimal scratches in it. wheels were true.
    Brakes had signs of rust on them but i figure for a bike that old that a little rust on the bontragner brake springs probably isnt that big of a deal.
    Especially since im planning on leaving it on trainer.
    LBS is servicing it up and putting a new tire on it and im going to pick it up tomorrow.... The previous owner took his trainer tire off it.. Apperantly he did the same thing with the bike i plan to do with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Im now using my old cromoly peugeot bike as my trainer

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Brakes had signs of rust on them . Apperantly he did the same thing with the bike i plan to do with it.
    The reason the brakes are rusted is because of trainer use. The bike I told about in my post above had been in the trainer for years. The owner's sweat had rusted the brakes solid. And the FD. And the seatpost collar. And the quill stem. And all the spoke nipples on the rear wheel

If you think you'll ever sell it--or ride it outdoors--give it a wash every now and again.

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I find Ti to be a LOT smoother on the trainer
    LOL
    J/K

trainer time creates very little wear and tear on a bike but if you want to have one specific trainer bike go for it. I just use my standard road bike but with our weather I'm not taking it off to ride outside, I have other bikes for that right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    IT sounds like a decent deal. You should be fine. I had a 1000 I started on & ran on the trainer in the winter time with no problems. I picked up a Jamis Satellite W/ Sora / Tiagra components for a 300 bucks last year. It's a lugged steel frame. It has been a great trainer bike. Slow shifting compared to my Cannondale but very comfortable for at least an hour on the trainer I do a few nights a week in the winter.
    Last edited by clydeosaur; 02-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    The reason the brakes are rusted is because of trainer use. The bike I told about in my post above had been in the trainer for years. The owner's sweat had rusted the brakes solid. And the FD. And the seatpost collar. And the quill stem. And all the spoke nipples on the rear wheel

If you think you'll ever sell it--or ride it outdoors--give it a wash every now and again.
    +1...This happened to a Trek 1500 I used to own. Wish someone had told me this before I put that bike on a trainer.

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    so far i think the 1000 is going to work fine, but boy o boy i will need a new seat. I want to put a Specialized Romin on it, thats what i have on my Tarmac and like it alot, although by the looks of it i may have to get a new seatpost also..... Thats the one thing i dont really know about on bikes. The seatpost to seat attachment point looks different on the two bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    what is the difference between lower cost and higher cost trainers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    sorry i need 5 posts :\

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just make sure you can duplicate the fit of your primary outside bike. Because you don't have to worry about weight distribution impacting handling on a trainer it's more or less a given that you'll be able to but still check because that's probably the mot important thing assuming you want to train with the set up you'll actually ride with on the road.

I'm no expert on bike prices but it seems from what I see on craigslist that you can't expect much more than a bike that can be used for 500 so if the trek is in good working order that would be a good deal. Especially if the shop is going to stand by it (as opposed to a private sale used bike where there's no recourse if you get a lemon)