RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Bed liner, plastidip or paint my 5900

I still love the ride of my late 90's postal service 5900, but the original toys r us paint and sticker scheme makes me throw up a little each time I turn on the lights. Hence, I ride it before sunrise 90% of the time.

Getting back to my Palo Alto redneck roots, with some inspiration from the Jeep guys, what do you think about Rhinolinin' or Plastidipin' this thing? Plastidip is reversible, Rhinolining is heavy, paint is a pain. I'm not worried about the warranty anymore. I could paint, but it would likely be some official government drab olive, or flat black. Sending out to paint is way to yuppie, this has to be DIY.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i used the spray plasti-dip on the wheels on my truck. i'd think it would work on a frame, but it's a bit fragile. i think if the chain bounced off the stay it would scratch it pretty easily. but...it's cheap, quick, and easy. if it looks like crap after a week, peel it off and try something else. my wheels still look sweet after a month and a couple of washes.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I leaning towards plastidip in flat black or one of the camo colors. I've used it on a few Jeep trim parts and it holds up ok and looks good. At least I can maintain the Trek lifetime warranty by peeling it off, if need be. These 5900 and 5200's just look so dated and awkward, especially if you change out the original integrated fork and headset, but the build quality and ride are still excellent compared to what's on the market today. Plus, I really like the traditional, conservative look of the tubes and geometry.

I'll try to get some before and after pics if I dig into this.