Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Best bike in the $3,000 to $3,500 range

I know what I think, but what do you think is the best bike for the money in this price range?

Not a climber
    Scattante

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger51 View Post
    I know what I think, but what do you think is the best bike for the money in this price range?
    the best bike is the one you ride every day. The most expensive bike is the one that hangs on your wall and is never ridden.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    What do u mean by best, most comfortable, fastest, lightest, best looking, best components, comes with free tuneups, dude, what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since I ride a Cervello RS, that would be my choice. The fit is great, I like the relaxed geometry and as 55x11 eludes to, I ride it all the time.

Bikes in the $3K to $3,500 range would probably be Carbon Frame, Ultegra (or comparable) group set, low end wheels and a crappy Selle San Marco Ponza saddle.

Other bikes I would consider in that price range (and I test rode most of these):

• Felt Z-4
    • Binachi Infinito
    • Pinerello FP3
    • Trek Madone 5

The Scattante was mentioned in a previous post, I guess, in a sense it would be a better value because at that price range you would probably get Dura Ace components. I did not like the ride, probably had a lot of pre-conceived notions going into the test ride, but I will proudly admit to being somewhat of a bikesnob.

There really are a lot of great bikes out there, I think most of them fall within a few dollars of costing the same thing, it's a matter of what kind of crank, what brand of bars, etc are switched out to keep the price competative (Scattante, Fuji and Bikes Direct are the exception). I was really interested in the Pinerello and they were advertising Dura Ace, but it was only the front derailleur and other components were MOst, which is a company that makes parts for Pinerello, but I could not find any reviews or other info on them. I loved the ride of the Cervelo RS, I wanted to do more distance, don't really care about speed and found the bike is great for me. I am very happry with my ride and that's what makes the Cervello RS the best bike in the $3,000 - $3,500 price range.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

la dolce vita
    Good bikes aren't cheap and cheap bikes aren't good.
    Buy a used Moots for around $3000 ish on eBay and it will be the last bike you'll ever buy.
    insert witty comment here

Fecal indicator
    the question is entirely too specific...can you broaden the criteria to allow a wider range of responses?
    eff all y'all...

Proud luddite
    I started a similar thread a few months ago and here's the link....lots of good suggestions in it:

Steel road bike for around $3000?

My final bill was about $3500 for the Pelizzoli but that didn't include the wheels, pedals, saddle and seatpost that I switched over from my old bike. Still, you can find some pretty nice rides in that price range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Walker View Post
    Bikes in the $3K to $3,500 range would probably be Carbon Frame, Ultegra (or comparable) group set, low end wheels and a crappy Selle San Marco Ponza saddle.
    QFT. Manufacturers are using more or less the same materials and components within a given price range, so it's more about what fits you and what the LBS you like has to offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    4 series Trek Madone

RoadBikeReview Member
    No matter what you decide on go with $1000 wheels and $2000 frame/parts (or there about) over $500 wheels and $2500 on the frame/parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinDS View Post
    What do u mean by best, most comfortable, fastest, lightest, best looking, best components, comes with free tuneups, dude, what?
    You tell me, The question was put open ended on purpose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    the question is entirely too specific...can you broaden the criteria to allow a wider range of responses?
    I am looking for a wide range of answers. The questions is vague on purpose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    If you want to spend less than $3500, cap your bikes at $3000...bikes always seem to cost $500 more than you thought they would when you add pedals, cages, tires, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rplace13 View Post
    No matter what you decide on go with $1000 wheels and $2000 frame/parts (or there about) over $500 wheels and $2500 on the frame/parts.
    This is not widely known, but very good advice. The more research I do the more I realized that in a given price range the frames will be very similar, but some mfg cheap out on the tires and rims. I guess knowing the value of wheels is not common knowledge, so they can put very inexpensive wheels on and make more money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aaric View Post
    If you want to spend less than $3500, cap your bikes at $3000...bikes always seem to cost $500 more than you thought they would when you add pedals, cages, tires, etc.
    Unfortunetly this is correct.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    trying to get my 5 post in. sorry

The green one.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really? If it were me (you asked what I think) I would BUILD two very nice road bikes, and probably have enough left over to get a decent cyclocross bike too.
    A while back I decided to ride a bike as often as possible. These are my observations from the saddle, one pedal stroke at a time, on my way to being a better cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    get the red one it's faster............................

On a serious note, there are tons of choices out there. If I were to toss out one stand out IMHO it's the CAAD10 Dura Ace for $3600. Sub 16 lbs and RS80 wheels.

I also agree with another that stated getting the $2500 bike with like Ultegra, Rival, or Force, and then replace the wheels with a good $1000 set. A buddy did that with a trek 4.7 then put on Fulcrum race 3 2way wheels.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaric View Post
    • computer
    • shoes
    • upgraded saddle
    • seatbag
    • toolkit

It's also best to have a plan getting a new bike because you will probably replace your saddle and could upgrade your wheels. The shop you purchased your new bike from will probably offer you 10% off of anything you buy, so do you buy that cyclecomputer from your LBS @ 10% off and have them put it on, or do you go on-line and buy it for less and put it on yourself. If there is a fitting involved (and hopefully there is) then you probably want to buy your saddle and pedals from the shop you are buying your bike from so you can get a proper fitting.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

Sleep Expert
    My carbon footprint has cleats

OEM COLLECTIBLE 1971 SUZUKI T350 MOTORCYCLE - Deer Park
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I bet I could do a century on this baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    Nice bike....great deal!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast