RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Which is the Best Deal: 5900 or R2000

I've been looking for a road bike (with all your help). I've got two choices staring at me:

2003 Trek 5900 (Dura Ace set, carbon, MSRP $4,730) with approx 2000 miles put on by a world class triathlete. He used it 1/2 of the 2004 season, before he got a new one for the Olympics. The price is $1950.

2004 Cannondale R2000 (Ultegra set, aluminum with carbon fork, MSRP $2,400) with less than 300 miles. Comes with a Sigma computer. A mountian biker bought it, but didn't like roading. The price is $1500.

I'm thinking the 5900 has been ridden pretty hard compared to the C-dale, but is a much better bike.

Both sellers say the bikes are in great condition and ready to roll. Neither have been crashed. The Trek has normal transportation scratches.

I'll be using it to get in shape, 10 - 30 miles at first. I'd like to get up to a couple hundred miles/week. The roads where I live are rough.

What is your thoughts?

Steve
    Last edited by Trvlngnrs; 10-19-2005 at 10:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    5900...no doubt. It's a superior ride. .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    5900...no doubt. It's a superior ride.

Thanks, any comment on a top fuel racer cranking on the pedals for 2,000 miles?

Steve...>

FTF
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trvlngnrs
    5900...no doubt. It's a superior ride.

Thanks, any comment on a top fuel racer cranking on the pedals for 2,000 miles?

2000 mile's really isn't that much atal. As long as it wasn't abused, it should be fine.

Cycling Boob
    logically... the 5900... opinion wise, the dale. i am biased towards the dales. maybe you can haggle with him further

BikerFox Wannabe

Is the 5900...

Quote Originally Posted by Trvlngnrs
    I've been looking for a road bike (with all your help). I've got two choices staring at me:

2003 Trek 5900 (Dura Ace set, carbon, MSRP $4,730) with approx 2000 miles put on by a world class triathlete. He used it 1/2 of the 2004 season, before he got a new one for the Olympics. The price is $1950.

2004 Cannondale R2000 (Ultegra set, aluminum with carbon fork, MSRP $2,400) with less than 300 miles. Comes with a Sigma computer. A mountian biker bought it, but didn't like roading. The price is $1500.

I'm thinking the 5900 has been ridden pretty hard compared to the C-dale, but is a much better bike.

Both sellers say the bikes are in great condition and ready to roll. Neither have been crashed. The Trek has normal transportation scratches.

I'll be using it to get in shape, 10 - 30 miles at first. I'd like to get up to a couple hundred miles/week. The roads where I live are rough.

What is your thoughts?

Steve
    An eBay deal?

This sounds like a familier eBay scam story. Be careful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    >This sounds like a familier eBay scam story. Be careful.

Thanks, I will.

I'll use www.Escrow.com. I'll have a LBS check it out too!

Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, watch out for scam if this is a newer 5900 (2004+). But $1800-2000 is def not uncommon for 2003 and older models. Also folks who do Olympics usually won't say they've competed at that level in an ebay auction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'm going with the C-dale. I talked him down to $1,350. I like the burgandy red color too.

I'm too fat for a 5900 anyway:-) Maybe after I loose 25 pounds on the C-dale.....

Thanks for your advice. See you on the Beginners Forum!
    Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Good decision. Admittedly I overlooked your initial post...didn't realize this was basically your first road bike and looking to get in shape.

At $1350, you did right with the R2000. The 5900 may have been a slightly better "deal" but doesn't mean better for you. It would have been a wasted $600. Take those savings and get yourself a good pair of shoes/clothing etc. When you get in shape and get hooked, you may find you'll want something totally different or better than a 5900 anyways.

Good luck.