Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Best Road Bike for $3000-$3500

Hey guys just wondering what your perspectives are on the best bike for around $3000 - $3500. By best I mean performance wise as I am a competitve triathlete.

I am looking for something with a really nice groupo either ultegra or dura ace if possible but still has a good quality carbon frame. Don't take into consideration racing wheels beacuse i already have a pair, just pure bike performance.

If you would reccomend buying a better bike that is second hand and a couple of years old, please say so and tell me about your experiences.

thanks!

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    I really dont like these "whats the "best" (fill in blank) for $X"? threads.

Go test ride a bunch, an then mabey YOU can let US know which was the best for you

irony intended
    I realize this may be your first post, but...

Surely you jest....

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...ge-264853.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Elpimo if u don't like this thread then maybe their is no need for YOU to be posting in it. I dont think u get the point of my post, I want opinions from other riders as I have already chosen out a few that i like.

Thanks for directing me to this other post carlislegeorge however i have seen this already and mine is a bit more specific.

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TriRidr View Post
    I have already chosen out a few that i like..
    Like?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Connondale Supersix 3
    Giant Tcr Advanced 0
    Merida Reacto 907
    Pnarello FPQuattro
    BMC SL01
    Felt AR4
    The list goes on...
    Im still looking at reviews and am considering second hand ones too

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Considering these used ones are:
    BMC Pro Machine (2009)
    Willier Gran Turismo (2011)
    Pinarello FPQuattro Ultegra Di2 (2012)
    Colnago CX-1 (2010)
    Scott Addict R3 (2011)
    And anything else that falls under my classifications and looks decent

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    Go out and ride those bikes.
    Hopefully local shops can support
    if not, don't go traveling too far as warranties and support is expensive if the shop:
    A. Doesn't have that brands' distributor support
    B. Didn't sell you the bike

so try to find shops that will let you test ride a few different ones, and shop local

Elpimpo
    Kill Zombies

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Ok that sounds like a good idea ill certainly take your advice on board
    Thanks for your help

irony intended
    Scattante

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    Like? This isn't facebook, you can't just go around liking stuff. For the investment you are willing to make you better love it. Test ride all the 2013 bikes offered in your area and make em throw in a free bike fit to close the deal.
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lynskey, full Dura Ace at $2,700. You will not be sorry.

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...08-level2.html
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

classiquesklassieker
    Hey guys just wondering what your perspectives are on the best bike for around $3000 - $3500. By best I mean performance wise as I am a competitve triathlete.

I am looking for something with a really nice groupo either ultegra or dura ace if possible but still has a good quality carbon frame. Don't take into consideration racing wheels beacuse i already have a pair, just pure bike performance.

If you would reccomend buying a better bike that is second hand and a couple of years old, please say so and tell me about your experiences.

thanks!
    Since you're a competitive triathlete, what if I were to ask you, what are the best running shoes for $200? You'd probably ask whether this is for running on asphalt or for cross-country. You'd probably ask if I were a suprapronator or superpronator. You'd probably me about my running stance. And target distances.

Would somebody who just says "ADIDAS!" have a lot of credibility? Maybe they have a huge range of products, but due to my flat feet I can tell you NB or ASICS fit me better with less effort in tweaking it.

What do you think are the analogous questions when you ask us about bikes? Fit, posture, distance, preferred cadence, etc. And none of these are addressed just by looking at a list of bikes.

Hope this helps put things in perspective.

RoadBikeReview Member

I am looking for something with a really nice groupo either ultegra or dura ace if possible...
    Neither Ultegra nor Dura Ace comprise a "groupo"

Now Athena, Chorus, Record, Super Record, etc would be "gruppo" I suppose.

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Neither Ultegra nor Dura Ace comprise a "groupo"

Now Athena, Chorus, Record, Super Record, etc would be "gruppo" I suppose.

Yah, but do they have "brifters"?
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

Matnlely Dregaend
    An Italian would call Dura-ace a gruppo, so it's fair game in my opinion. I also think that brifters are just that as they are one unit that both brake and shift. All this talk about the large lever not doing any shifting is semantics. Shifters are located on downtubes!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

irony intended
    I know when I go into some poser high end LBS in DC, and they have no idea whether or not I know diddley squat about cycling, one of the first things that the salesmen ask me in order to put me on my place is "what gruppo do you have or are you looking for"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    An Italian would call Dura-ace a gruppo, so it's fair game in my opinion.
    And a Russian would call it "один группа" but that's immaterial, unless the rest of the post was in Russian or Italian or whatever...

Matnlely Dregaend
    And a Russian would call it "один группа" but that's immaterial, unless the rest of the post was in Russian or Italian or whatever...

No American is calling anything by their Russian name, but apparently Italian works for bicycles. I personally prefer to call my bike a beechikleeeeeetta!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

And cyclists have been using the term peloton long before it was adopted into our dictionaries. Groupo has become part of cyclists jargon, get over it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherBclimbing View Post
    And cyclists have been using the term peloton long before it was adopted into our dictionaries. Groupo has become part of cyclists jargon, get over it.
    I guess I would mind it less if people said "gruppo" (which means "group" in Italian) instead of "groupo" (which means nothing, in any language.)

Fecal indicator
    I guess I would mind it less if people said "gruppo" (which means "group" in Italian) instead of "groupo" (which means nothing, in any language.)

agree...it's like asking for a 'beero' instead of a cerveza...

but, no one I know actually says 'gruppo'...people mostly just say 'what components are you using'...
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Not to be helpful or anything, but if you're a competitive triathlete, shouldn't you be looking at Triathlon/Time Trial bikes rather than the road bikes you've listed? If you are spending that kind of money on a bike with the intention of improving your performance, you're just dragging a boat anchor around if you use a normal road bike in a tri because of the excess drag compared to a properly fitted and adjusted TT bike. You'll literally save yourself minutes (depending on the course, obviously) simply by going onto an aero bike and using an aero helmet.

For $100 more than your budget, you can get a Cervelo P3 with Ultegra. You can sell whatever wheels it comes with for a fair bit of money, and you'll have one of the most competitive TT/Tri bikes on the market.
    http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/p-series/p3.html

You can also go for the online seller route and get this-
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sl_ultegra.htm
    You'd have to invest in a fitting, but that's small change when you're already dropping 3500 on a bike.
    Last edited by Dan333sp; 11-19-2012 at 01:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Dan333 captured my thoughts exactly. For triathlons, you need a TT/Tri bike, not a road racing bike.

Even an inexpensive $1K TT bike will be much faster on a TT course than a traditional road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Pretty hard to find a better all around competive road bike at this price.

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...?id=BPCK100446

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast