Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

best time to hold onto a LeMond Sarthe?

Having been thinking recently of selling my (beautiful) blue/white 08 LeMond Sarthe for a faster and more responsive bike, I've begun to wonder whether Trek's ditching of the LeMond brand complicates my decision. Is this the ideal time to hang onto a unique steel frame, when the brand won't be releasing any more bikes? At what point does a frame gain "classic" status, as one of the last years of a brand's production?

On a related note, I wonder what a new wheelset would do for the responsiveness and acceleration....hmmm....

duh...
    it's just a bike

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Propad is a fine bike but it's not ever going to be a collectible. If you don't ride it, sell it.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I agree - going to be a long long time before it might be considered a "classic" -
    However, what size is it, might be interested !

dropped!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute
    Propad is a fine bike but it's not ever going to be a collectible. If you don't ride it, sell it.

a sarthe is not a propad.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    True.... but point remains... it's not going to gain value as a classic for several decades, if ever..imho....

banned
    you cannot buy a faster bike.

yer legs are the issue.

if you like the sarthe, keep it. Yer going to find that it's a pretty well balanced bike. THere are quicker handling bikes, there are more comfortable long range bikes, but the sarthe is a pretty decent jack of all trades- that super quick handling bike might turn out to be punishingly stiff...

get some lighter wheels, a new crank and save yerself a bundle.

then again, new bike fever is a harsh mistress...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r_mutt
    a sarthe is not a propad.
    My bad. To me a Propad is even better. Either is a sweet bike. I might pick me up a Propad on the 'bay one of these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    All good thoughts.... It's a size 53, and it *is* a pretty balanced bike. I'll probably hang onto it for at least a while longer, see how I feel.

then again, new bike fever is a harsh mistress...
    ...but ain't that the truth!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    To be Classic or Vintage and not just Antique it has to have some intrinsic value.

Rule of thumb with cars ...
    anywhere from 15–25 years = Modern Classic
    25 years old or older = Antique

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I have an orange Sarthe from maybe the first year it came out. It's a sweet looking frame so I plan on keeping it for a while, rides great too. All I need now are some parts to put it together, it's just a frame/fork right now.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Beautiful....... !!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert M.
    I have an orange Sarthe from maybe the first year it came out. It's a sweet looking frame so I plan on keeping it for a while, rides great too. All I need now are some parts to put it together, it's just a frame/fork right now.

Forgot how pretty those things are...

There's something that just looks right about an orange steel bike.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Couldn't agree more.... I'm tirn between Orange and British Racing Green right now...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    My main bike now is a Trek Madone 5.9 SL, the Discovery one. I'm thinking of having it painted British racing green, a friend of mine does amazing work.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Keep it, but ...

Those are nice bikes. If I had one, I'd keep it, but I'd keep it to ride, not for any perceived investment value. There are a lot of LeMond bikes out there, of various models and vintages, so I don't think there is any "collector value" today. It's possible they could become valuable as collector items sometime in the future, but there's no way to predict. And to capture that value you would really need to put the bike away, store it for 20 to 30 years to keep in in original condition. I'd say ride it, ride it and ride it some more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Robert_M: that's a gorgeous Sarthe! I've always loved that orange color (but the blue is hot, too!)

If I had one, I'd keep it, but I'd keep it to ride, not for any perceived investment value.
    Absolutely, I meant "classic" more in the sense of just an awesome bike, to ride, and which they won't be making anymore. And I think I am pretty well decided to keep it and ride it, maybe with a couple new goodies to make it feel new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I seldom see LeMond's on the trials...so yeah, put some new goodies on it and ride.

RoadBikeReview Member

I agree with Kuma601...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma601
    I seldom see LeMond's on the trials...so yeah, put some new goodies on it and ride.
    Ride it....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I've been thinking that my Sarthe might look sweet if I painted the fork white (or white and blue if I could find colors that would match just right), then put on some white bar tape and a white saddle. Then again, the white on the frame is more of an ivory off-white, so brilliant white on the saddle and tape might clash. What do you guys think?

Also, buck-50 mentioned a new crank. It has a 105 now, and if I bought wheels (thinking maybe Ksyrium Elites) I don't think I'd be able to afford a DA crank....would, for instance, an Ultegra crank make a noticeable difference? If I do switch cranks, I'd go for a compact double over the triple that it came with.

RoadBikeReview Member

Go Ultegra

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd offer a crank suggestion. I have a Sarthe (silver & yellow), and I installed a DA bottom bracket with Ultegra cranks. I noticed a difference. I actually race crits on the Sarthe, much to the chagrin of my carbon-clad teammates. It's plenty quick and responsive for me, but my next upgrade is the wheels. The Bontrager Race wheels are pretty mushy on the last lap and I would love to race with some stiff/light wheels. So, FWIW...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I'm glad this thread is back!

Here is my Sarthe, I recently built it up with '92 Campagnolo Record I had from another bike. I plan to get some brown tape to match the seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gorgeous! That might be the best looking Sarthe I have seen. Love that orange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Usually we regret selling our old bikes out of nostalgia or the enlightened thought that we wasted our money selling it and upgrading; we discovered upgrading didn't make us faster.

Bikes have little appreciation over time. The only thing that happens is they become art works for other cyclists who collect them and don't ride them for fear of wearing out those irreplaceable parts.

You can't buy your speed. Ride the LeMond until it breaks. Since LeMond is essentially out of business, you won't have warranty coverage. You'll have two options at that time: repair and repaint the frame to it's original glory. By then the bike will look "classic" and you'll have all the respect that goes with riding an out of production bike, or replace the frame at that time with your imaginary faster and more responsive frame.

P.S. I think 10 years is about the starting point for a bike being classic. My sole road bike, a lugged steel Trek, is 25 years old. I dread the day I lose that frame and my "classic" identity. I will go kicking an screaming into the 21st century.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I've got a blue and yellow Buenos Aires, which looks to be pretty much the same thing with Ultegra. It's a sweet ride, especially if you're doing longer rides on rough roads. You end up not feeling beat up, just tired from the thousands of pedal strokes you put in.

I'll agree it's probably not the fastest bike out there. The geometry is a little relaxed. But it's a decent all around bike with amazing comfort. Some high quality wheels will probably give you a pretty good return on your investment. They could make it feel like a new bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast