RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Angry Beware Flyte1.com Carbon Forks!

On July 3rd I ordered a Flyte Defiant frame and fork. There was a delay in their shipping and the order was shipped 7/21, finally arriving 7/25. Due to the delay and in part due to my business obligations, I was delayed in starting to assemble a bike from this purchase for about 2 weeks. The frame is fine to inspection, and is well finished w/good weld quality BUT THE ALL CARBON FLYTE FORK APPEARS SUBSTANDARD IN COSTRUCTION AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS! There are small voids in the epoxy matrix near the steerer tube-crown interface for the last 1/3 -1/2 inch The fabricator has also enlarged the area around the fork crown to approximately twice the size of other road forks. As an engineer, I suspect this is an atempt to deal with a fabrication quality issue by increasing the mass of epoxy/carbon in this area of the fork. I plan to xray the fork today to further evaluate the structure, but would not recommend that anyone ride on this fork!

Flyte has little in the way of customer service.....Our attempts to call Flyte over 3 days and to return the fork have been met with no response by phone. Our e-mail response from Flyte is basically as follows: A. You are past our "10 day" return policy deadline, so no deal, no returns allowed!. B. If you want some of your money back, sell this fork on e-bay. C. Some slanderous comments about our maturity for complaining & reporting our safety concerns in forums such as this.

I plan to communicate my concerns to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. We previously have discovered defects in other manufacturers products over the years and they have always been very concerned and appropriately helpful. When we had aerobar armrest failure on a Profile design product in April 2004, they were excellent in their response, providing re-engineered product to us at no cost and issuing a recall;

Flyte certainly has had a unique response to our concerns.

Has anyone else had experience with Flyte carbon forks?

drzzzz1

Man, I'm Awesome
    I've dealt with the guys at Flyte quite a bit. I have never had any problems, and their customer service was always great. I am having trouble believing your post, it being the first one you made.

Have a nice day.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Agreed. Be aware of first time posters with an apparent axe to grind...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Resident Dutchbag
    It would be most helpful if you provided us with some hi-res pictures of the fork so that we can see what all the fuss is about. Actual X-ray pics would be even better.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Agreed. Be aware of first time posters with an apparent axe to grind...

I do know that they are having some problems with their frame builders. I checked out Flyte1.com's forum and there are a couple of people over there that are getting pissed about the delays.

They say that they keep calling and no one is answering the phones anymore. If that's true that is pretty strange.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I know nothing about Flyte's quality but I always question someone that uses their first post to blast a company. How do we know this guy doesn't work for a competitor?

He might be legitimate and have a valid concern but then again he may not..

If you read his post he never said the fork failed. It is based on his opinion of the construction....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

Man, I'm Awesome
    I know nothing about Flyte's quality but I always question someone that uses their first post to blast a company. How do we know this guy doesn't work for a competitor?

He might be legitimate and have a valid concern but then again he may not...

So True.

I remember when Airborne first came on the scene. All the Litespeed people would bash them on every message board, especially this one. They were ruthless. Some of the stuff they came up with was pretty funny though.

I remember one conversation where some guy said that he got his bike and all the components just fell apart when he took it riding. LOL. That was hilarious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I guess I'm not the only one having trouble getting Flyte on the phone. I may or may not be able to get a digital pix of the xray of the fork. If I can I will gladly post it. We've previously used xray before to examine carbon frames potentially damaged in accidents. As an engineer, I'm concerned about the appearance of the carbon fabrication......Any reader needs to make their own decision about riding w/these forks. I definitely would not use this product out of fear of personal injury.
    drzzzz1

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    You keep referring to “We” and "Our". If you are an individual who bought a Flyte, why do you keep saying we? I can’t help but think there is more to this story….
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

100% torqued
    Jun 2005
    What? I would be willing to bet the Flyte forks are a rebadge. This is such a strange first post. You put out a stern warning, about a specific product with no evidence other than your hunch. Nice. You really come off like a nightmare customer, as I'm sure this is not the entire truth, if at all.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    His profile says he's a physician not an engineer......Of course he could be both....very strange
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    His profile says he's a physician not an engineer...very strange...
    And a owner of two litespeeds.

Strange!
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Could it be?

Is "drzzzz1" actually the engineer "Dr. Z" of Chrysler-Damler fame?

Just wondering.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    LMAO..I just spit Diet Dr. Pepper all over my monitor....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzitbroke
    What? I would be willing to bet the Flyte forks are a rebadge. .

flyte forks are definitely a rebadge. the fork on their cx frame is the same as the nashbar, winwood muddy and a couple others IIRC.

BBJ
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Jun 2004
    You keep referring to “We” and "Our". If you are an individual who bought a Flyte, why do you keep saying we? I can’t help but think there is more to this story….

That's a royal we, for your information.