Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Bianchi Dolomiti: Production version

Here's a photo of an an actual final production Bianchi Dolomiti courtesy of Yellow Jersey Bike Shop.

Looks like Bianchi went with a partial Celeste carbon fork instead of that all black one on the official website, good move I think. However, the fork crown is for an integrated headset/headtube as you can see.

I think the Celeste fork makes all the difference. I still think the brown saddle looks out of place, a white saddle would have been a better match.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi Dolomiti: Production version-dolo9a.jpg  

duh...
    still f'ed up... too much black, fork crown, giant dork disc (albeit camo'ed in clear clear). they need to just sell the frame

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Agreed. This would do better as a frame only... with either an all celeste carbon fork or a chrome steel fork.

Sleep Expert
    Agree too. More chrome, or polished AL at least.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
    They should have waited for Athena, and got those kids in China to build a proper fork.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah, no excuses on the fork I think. There are plenty of Taiwanese catalog chrome forks that Bianchi could've spec'd for this bike.

Even Kona specs their budget Paddy Wagon with a cromoly lugged fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    agreed on the fork but I have seen that exact bike in person and the picture doesn't really do it justice...

the chrome that there is really pops in person and the suede (or whatever) saddle doesn't look that bad in person.

I also wish it was available as a frameset

RoadBikeReview Member
    As with ALL Bianchis, the Dolomiti have "Made in Italy" on its tubes. We all know that all Bianchis are made in Asia. Just wondering if the same is true for this new steel frame. After all, if Bianchi wanted to really go retro classic, then they should truly be made in Italy and not just finished in Italy. Not trying to start up another debate/arguement about "Made in blah blah blah" here because I don't have anything against made in Asia carbon frames- I would get a Willier Cento Uno or a Fondriest TF1 or TF2 or a Colnago CX-1 or a Pinarello Prince if money was no object. But when it comes to lugged steel, I for one will only buy a true "Made in Italy" lugged steel frames. I checked off a Tommasini Tecno. Need to check off a Colnago Master X Light, Gios Compact Pro, and De Rosa Neo Primato in the future. And if this Dolimiti is really made in Italy, then it too will have to be added to my list. Anyone know the scoop??? Thanks.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    As with ALL Bianchis, the Dolomiti have "Made in Italy" on its tubes. We all know that all Bianchis are made in Asia. Just wondering if the same is true for this new steel frame. ... Anyone know the scoop??? Thanks.
    Not sure other than the sticker on the frame says Made in Italy, but as you mentioned we all know that can mean "finished" in Italy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't really dig its current setup but its got potential. Threaded steel fork and polished components would do wonders.

I miss Greg.
    It's got potential, but there are few things that should be changed for my tastes. First, the fork. Why an integrated fork on this frame? It looks like someone threw together a build with spare parts. Next, why the brown saddle? Finally, the stem. Every component on the bike is black, and then they put on a silver stem. I don't have an issue on whether the stem is black or silver per se, but the look should be consistent on the whole bike.

On another note, isn't this the same frame as the Kona Kapu?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, that fork does look mighty strange on that frame. Even if it's not a chrome fork, being an integrated fork with a non-integrated headset just looks strange.

To me, if they would have painted the entire fork instead of just the top, it would look better.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The bicycle actually looks quite beautiful in person. I agree about the carbon fork (and the stem is pretty awful, too), but why all the hate for the brown saddle? Brown is a true retro color.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $3300 seems kinda spendy for Veloce to me.

Moderatus Puisne

Hrmph.

Like I said on our my Raleigh Clubman for 2009, you've got to pick black, OR silver / chrome. Don't fuss around with both.

On the Bianchi, Chrome lugs, black headset, black spacers, chrome stem, what gives?

That frame is beautiful. People say they should sell the frame alone, and it makes conceptual sense, but in their defense framesets are great to buy but hard to sell.

SPAM / HIJACK ALERT!!

That's why I'm really happy we'll have both the Clubman (welded, slightly sloping top tube, silver accessories) and the Record Ace (lugged, straight tubes, white bike with black bits.)

Honestly I would like to build up a Record Ace with more traditional stuff, and may yet do that -- but the Ultegra 6700 is a sales draw in of itself. Glad we kept the downtube bosses on it. People around here have the same murmurs about hoping on a frameset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the black. I agree about how Bianchi just needed to commit to either black or silver and be done with it. Actually, now that I look at, it's really just the stem that is an eyesore Put a black a stem on it and it's 90% there.

Complaints aside, gotta say it's good to see Bianchi sell a bike like this, just wish it wasn't $3300. I'd pay $1900 for it maybe.

Moderatus Puisne

Hijack complete

If you're interested, this is what the Record Ace looks like. It doesn't have Campagnolo on it, and it isn't made, sorry, "assembled" in Italy, but it has the new Ultegra 6700 on it.

This bike will cost under $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Wrench
    I like the black. I agree about how Bianchi just needed to commit to either black or silver and be done with it. Actually, now that I look at, it's really just the stem that is an eyesore Put a black a stem on it and it's 90% there.

Complaints aside, gotta say it's good to see Bianchi sell a bike like this, just wish it wasn't $3300. I'd pay $1900 for it maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi Dolomiti: Production version-recordace.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    If you're interested, this is what the Record Ace looks like. It doesn't have Campagnolo on it, and it isn't made, sorry, "assembled" in Italy, but it has the new Ultegra 6700 on it.

Personally, I think that is a far better looking bike than the Dolomiti. Argentius do you know what type of wheels it has not it?

Moderatus Puisne

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by lousylegs
    Personally, I think that is a far better looking bike than the Dolomiti. Argentius do you know what type of wheels it has not it?
    They're the kind of wheels that make the bike cost <$2k! ;)

That is to say, they are an OEM wheelset, pretty standard stuff. 28-hole hole Joytech hubs and a "Weinmann" rim.

Spec'ing handbuilts is hard these days.

RoadBikeReview Member

Sweet with just one exception.

The new Ultegra 6700 cranks are too heavy looking and aggro for an otherwise impressive bike. Shimano has been heading towards this trend. Even the last generation 6600 and DA 7800 were already pushing it, but at least those had a polished look that could blend into an old retro bike build.

Under 2 grand is good price for all that. The 6700 STI lever alone are listed at $550 at Jenson.

Moderatus Puisne

Agree

Definitely my take, too, but there aren't really many quality cranksets on the market that look the "classic" part -- at least for geared bikes.

I have a Record 10 Aluminum crank that I'm going to swap out with mine.

I can probably sell the 6700 crank for a couple bills anyway.

The 6700 group on the Record Ace is complete minus the brakes -- so you get the shifters, derailleurs, crank, cassette, and chain. I like the feel of the shifting a lot, but I've only messed with it in the showroom so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Wrench
    Sweet with just one exception.

The new Ultegra 6700 cranks are too heavy looking and aggro for an otherwise impressive bike. Shimano has been heading towards this trend. Even the last generation 6600 and DA 7800 were already pushing it, but at least those had a polished look that could blend into an old retro bike build.

Under 2 grand is good price for all that. The 6700 STI lever alone are listed at $550 at Jenson.

Frog Whisperer
    I saw that bike at Yellow Jersey on Memorial day weekend, The fork is an abomination, period!

It desperately needs a lugged, chromed steel fork and threaded headset. I just looks gobbed together.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    I just looks gobbed together.
    So it's got the vibe of a frankenbike eh?

duh...
    Definitely my take, too, but there aren't really many quality cranksets on the market that look the "classic" part -- at least for geared bikes.

I have a Record 10 Aluminum crank that I'm going to swap out with mine.

I can probably sell the 6700 crank for a couple bills anyway.

The 6700 group on the Record Ace is complete minus the brakes -- so you get the shifters, derailleurs, crank, cassette, and chain. I like the feel of the shifting a lot, but I've only messed with it in the showroom so far.

what about sugino? I wouldn't be afraid to mix, heck, there are some cos that would call an otherwise all-record bike w/ fsa cranks a "full record gruppo"

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by holy cromoly
    So it's got the vibe of a frankenbike eh?
    It really does in my opinion. I have a 2002 veloce, steel fork, all celeste, brooks antique brown tape (finished with hemp), matching saddle, I have removed ALL black (stem and seatpost) and replaced with nitto, Silver nitto randonneur bars and silver wheels (mavic laced to campy hubs) with all decals removed), THAT is what the Dolomite should look like!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast