RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105 vs Cannondale CAAD10 5 (and others?)

I've done a lot of research into bike brands and their models within my price range. I've narrowed it down to these two bikes, and know exactly what I want to do with them/where I'm going with cycling. Here's my personal breakdown:

Bianchi:
    I love the Bianchi. There's something about it and the brand as a whole that really gets me going. I've seen both bikes in person (didn't get a chance to ride either, lbs didn't have anywhere near my frame size in stock) and I have to say the Bianchi is a very good looking bike. I have concerns as to its whole long comfortable ride pitch. I'm of course a fan of comfort but I feel like that could be a tradeoff in terms of performance

Cannondale:
    The CAAD10 5 gets rave reviews anywhere I look, as well as with whoever I ask. Everyone loves this bike. Is it really worth the hype? It's decently more expensive than the Bianchi (about $300 more) with mostly the same components...

Here's what I want to accomplish with this: I want to get my feet wet in the sport. I'm really looking to use this bike to train and get in shape, and then enter races and maybe join my university's cycling team. I'm 19 so I'm all for a comfortable bike, but I can handle discomfort for added performance. I want whichever bike I pick to be solid for both training and racing. Within a year or so if I still love the sport (which I'm sure I will by how excited I am to get started!) I would want to sell the bike (resale value comes into play in my decision) and get, most likely, a Bianchi Sempre or Infinito.

I apologize for the wordiness, I just wanted to make sure I get my goals across. Any help is appreciated! Also, I've contacted every bike shop within 100 miles of me carrying Bianchis and Cannondales, hoping maybe my decision will be made for me by an outstanding deal on a last year's model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At 19 I wanted a CAAD9 if not a Cervelo S1. Allow me to live through vicariously through you and get that Cannondale.

Regardless, I think a CAAD10's resale is stronger. There are people bidding on CAAD8's just to have another (backup) solid racing platform. When you're getting into competitive cycling, you can't ever complain your bike isn't aggressive enough. I'm sure a VN7 is race worthy because it's geometry isn'tso far off, but you can't say a word about the CAAD in coming up short. Dumbing things down, yeah, I'm suggesting the CAAD solely based on reputation. Probably the most reputable bike line on the market until a Cannondale makes a fluke successor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I've ridden both. Feel free to ask me anything.

Bianchi has just as high resale if you get it in celeste. I thought about selling mine, a 2007 and received offers a good deal higher than I bought it for. To be fair, I did get it at a fantastic price. Geometry between the two bikes is damn near identical. The Bianchi doesn't have the race reputation of the CAAD but they are very similar bikes. I've found the CAAD10 the very slightest bit more twitchy, but perhaps I just don't have as much saddle time on it.

I'm 19 now too. I've had a Via Nirone 7 since I was 14. I've been racing it in road races, crits time trials and triathlons. The comfortable long ride pitch is marketing. The bike will work for whatever you want to do as will the CAAD. I think I would rather do TTs and Tris on the Bianchi, but I can't explain why.

If you really think you'll upgrade soon, I'd say buy something cheaper and save for that. If you want to keep with the same bike, I'd recommend the CAAD. The cannondale will be lighter, stiffness I can't tell a difference. Seems like roadies get weight obsessed and that is a very light frame. If you're going to buy one of the two and buy a new bike later, I'd recommend the bianchi. The weight really isn't going to lose you any races despite what people say. With more cash in the pocket you can find a saddle that fits, get some clipless pedals, shoes, bibs etc. I found those things have a bigger impact on riding than the bike.

It's not about the bike, remember that and you'll soon be beating lots of people on 'fast' bikes. Whichever direction you go, worry about training more than the bike. They're both excellent. I don't know if you've considered the Allez. I recently rode an Allez Evo while testing a saddle and came away very impressed. Certainly felt better than the old Allez, though perhaps that was just me falling in love with the saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks to both of you! My head is telling me to go for the CAAD since it seems like the best choice for me, but my heart is telling me to go for the Bianchi. Dunno why, just like the brand and heritage and such. I've already gotten a pair of Mavic Huez shoes and have everything else lined up, just need to get the bike part down haha. Yeah I'm probably gonna sell the bike as soon as I can get a better frame, and then upgrade that bike with wheels and such. Unless I love the bike I find now. I'll keep you guys posted if one of these bike shops gets back to me with something good. Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Oh and I did check out the Allez, the evo is pretty pricey but I have kept my options open with that bike