RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Bianchi Virata Carbon/Steel

New here and returning to road riding after a much too long absence; I have gotten hold of a Bianchi Virata frame to build up (w/ Ultegra 10 speed double) every reference to this carbon/steel frame states a steel main triangle with carbon chainstays and carbon fork.
    This example that I have has a carbon main triangle and steel chainstays and steel fork. Can anyone shed light on this reversal? Theoretically this frame seemed to promise a very crisp lively ride and I am looking forward to the fruition of this project and riding again!

Twitterpated
    Is it a vintage frame? Many of the early bikes using carbon consisted of carbon main tubes with metal...everywhere else...head tubes, forks, stays, joints. As knowledge & technology have improved carbon has been placed where it is better utilized, leading to today, when carbon is more easily shaped and utilized thoughout the entire frame.

I formerly rode a Trek mountain bike made of carbon main tubes and aluminum for everything else. The aluminum was painted a deep purpley-blue. That frame was excellent and the bike was super fun to ride.

Last edited by T-shirt; 06-15-2009 at 08:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you for the reply, your assessment must be right on as all the lugs and BB shell are also steel. It is not Celeste Blue but dark red & Iím guessing mid 90ís era which does make it vintage now. In any case it is the right size & I am looking forward to the resulting bike. Thanks again, Hal D