RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Bike for $2500 budget?

Getting into road riding from mountain biking...

Recommendations on fast bikes in the $2500-3000 range? I plan on getting into some local racing soon. THANKS!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    2012 Wilier Triestina Izoard XP

RoadBikeReview Member
    Specialized Allez Evo with wheelset upgrade. Bar/ stem/ post upgrade if you can swing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I'm partial to BMC's, so I would look at the BMC SL01 in that price range. It's a really nicely equipped bike. Easily raceable stock. Cannondale's CAAD series would be another good option. Pick up the Sep. issue of Bicycling Mag they have a list and review of their favorites picks in that price range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I bought a Scott CR1 Elite just a few months ago and have been thrilled with it. Great wheelset and components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I'm looking for a new road bike in that price range too. Currently have my eye on a Felt AR5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cervelo - S2 or R3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Thanks All

The way I see it, I could pickup something in the $2000 range and then get some custom hoops on it. Im assuming they are priced similarly to mt bike wheels? What is a good set of race wheels going to set me back for 170lb'er like myself?

UNLESS

There are some bikes that are shipping with handbuilt race wheels in this price range?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Find a knowledgeable person to help you find a USED bike that has low miles. You'll save a ton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Cervelo RS or R3. I was dead set on a cannondale until I tried the RS.
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I'm actually looking at a 1 yr old Wilier Triestina Izoard. It has Ultegra components, upgraded tires, Garmin E500, look pedals and some accessories like tubes, pumps etc. the owner claims 300 miles on it. He said he did lay it down once and it has a paint chip on the fork and a scrape on one rim. He's asking 1800. What do you guys think? I can't see any other damage or signs of cracks.

He claims to have $4500 in it counting the accessories, which seems about right.
    I've seen a couple reviews about Izoards getting frame cracks so I'm a little concerned about buying used without a warranty.
    Thanks

Eye of the Bobke
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapnbill View Post
    I'm actually looking at a 1 yr old Wilier Triestina Izoard. It has Ultegra components, upgraded tires, Garmin E500, look pedals and some accessories like tubes, pumps etc. the owner claims 300 miles on it. He said he did lay it down once and it has a paint chip on the fork and a scrape on one rim. He's asking 1800. What do you guys think? I can't see any other damage or signs of cracks.

He claims to have $4500 in it counting the accessories, which seems about right.
    I've seen a couple reviews about Izoards getting frame cracks so I'm a little concerned about buying used without a warranty.
    Thanks
    IMO never buy used carbon, especially laid-down used carbon. If you can justify the price based on the included components that would be a different story, but I'd inspect the frame/fork regularly.

OP: In addition to the bikes suggested I wouldn't look past SRAM Rival- or Force-equipped GT road bikes at Performance. They usually need a wheel swap, but other than that they are stellar performers for low bucks after discounts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Whatever brand you go with, buy it on sale/clearance. I can't stress this enough. DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE. Call every LBS nearby, see what's available, then get out on some test rides.

Pretty much every manufacturer makes high quality road bikes nowadays. You just need to pick the one that feels and looks right to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First race bike for a first time racer? Allez Evo or CAAD10 with a wheel set upgrade. You'll be much happier that you didn't lay down all that money on carbon frame the first time you crash in a crit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I thought the Cannondale Synapse 4 and Cervelo RS were top options in that range. I bought the Synapse... Then three months later upgraded the hoops to Ardennes SLs and the Crank to a better fitting length. Bike is light and super smooth. Love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside View Post
    First race bike for a first time racer? Allez Evo or CAAD10 with a wheel set upgrade. You'll be much happier that you didn't lay down all that money on carbon frame the first time you crash in a crit.
    Im rather fond of carbon frames and prefer they way they ride when mt biking but mt bike carbon frames are rather durable. I don't know if there is a large weight difference in road frames alloy vs carbon but if breaking a frame is a concern with crashing I may consider alloy instead...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I like the Tarmac elite with the 105.
    But it's your frame preference

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    You can gets heck of a lot of bike for $2500 from neuvation. I ride a fc100 with full sram force which cost me about $2100. Rides great and you get to customize the build anyway you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Cannondale SuperSix over the Synapse if you are going to race. Great frame and easy to go up throught the SRAM group if you choose later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    What do you think of the TCR Composite's ?

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    Cervelo RS or R3. I was dead set on a cannondale until I tried the RS.
    Art's Cyclery is having a sale on RS and R3 right now.

Cervelo Up To 35% Off Sale
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryyder View Post
    What do you think of the TCR Composite's ?
    It's just another word for carbon.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    It's just another word for carbon.
    So...... does that mean they are good bikes? The TCR's do have good reviews but like I said I prefer the carbon frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryyder View Post
    Getting into road riding from mountain biking...

Recommendations on fast bikes in the $2500-3000 range? I plan on getting into some local racing soon. THANKS!
    Specialized sl2 or sl2 pro.

Recycle King
    Not all carbon frames are created equal. It's not just about the design, but thickness and density of the carbon layout. I have never ridden a Giant before, does I can't speak of them. I suggest you find a LBS and test ride both the Giant and Cervelo to see which brand you feel comfortable on. For me, I test ridden the Trek and Cervelo and was sold on the Cervelo with its lively feel in acceleration.