RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Bike Decision 2013 $3200 Roubaix or $1200 Secteur 64cm

I'm 6'4" 200lbs and have been riding a Trek Cobia mountain bike with slicks, rode 2300 miles last year on it. Ride mainly oil and chip roads. This year I would like to ride maybe 2500-3000 miles, do a century and get into some group rides.

Anyway have decided to get a road bike. Originally I wanted to spend around 1500-2000. I rode a 61cm Scott Speedster and a 64cm Specialized Roubaix Comp. The specialized fit was nearly perfect. Problem is that bike lists for $3200 and is the only Roubaix available in 64cm, it has mostly Ultegra components. Another option is the Secteur which the 64cm is available in the elite model with Tiagra components, it lists for $1200.

I'm not sure the carbon would make much difference to me but I would like a solid drivetrain.

Any guidance anyone could offer given my situation and the two options would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Last edited by Springfield; 02-22-2013 at 10:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Nothing wrong with Tiagra drivetrain. I have not ridden either, but from what I read, the Secteur is likely to be more comfortable than the Speedster on chip and seal roads. You may want to check what is the largest tire that will fit, 28's might be good for your weight and that kind of road. The Roubaix would also be good, but it is almost twice your budget.
    On the other hand, the less expensive Roubaix models come in a 61 cm model, the effective top tube length is 15 mm shorter than on the 64 cm frame. Depending on the length of the stem you needed on the 64 cm, you might be able to fit on the 61 with a longer stem and more seat tube showing. I would ask the bike shop fitter about that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i'm not sure i can add much to mike's advice, but you seem to have some good options. add to that, the option (which i chose) of finding a frame you love and, if need be, upgrading the components later. you're talking $225 for 105 shifters and at most another $200 for the crank (i actually paid $139 for mine).

if you love the fit of the roubaix comp, perhaps there is a lower price and spec carbon or aluminum model with the same geometry that you might like, as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have a rental fleet of '13 Roubaix Comps. They've been performing great with little maintanence besides cleaning and lubing despite heavy use and lots of rain and mud on the roads. Nearly everyone comments favorably after riding them and I think they really are a great blend of durability and comfort with speed and performance. I'm a lanky 6'2" and take a 61 out occassionally. While I've rented it to guys your size I think you'd prefer the 64. The only issue you may have is rear wheel durability, specifically the every-other non-drive spokes. Of our 40 bike fleet we've had a couple of these spokes break. Always under a heavy rider and we have some very rough roads. I think it's too much load on each radially laced spoke. Specialized and DT are ready to stand behind the wheels though if you do have a problem so don't let this scare you (they sent us a couple warranty wheels in case it happens again).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Keep searching. I found a 2012 Roubaix Expert SL3 for $2700 recently in 64cm. All Ultegra, DT Axis 3.0 wheels (perhaps a bit light for us big guys). Where are you located?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you looked online in this price range ...

Shimano 105 Carbon Fiber Kestrel Road Evoke 3.0 Carbon, $1,299
    Shimano 105 equipped Road Bikes - 2011 Kestrel Talon| Save up to 60% off List prices

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'm located in Springfield, IL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I'm located in Springfield, IL.
    So what did you end up getting, Jeff?

I got the 64cm Roubaix Comp Compact (Specialized dropped the prices to 2700) and I paid $2650. I'm 6'4" and the bike fits like a glove!!!!

2013Roubaix64cm

It is a very comfortable ride and the frame/fork is stable, and eats up the chatter when it gets rough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy headtube Batman! It looks like one of Leonard Zinn's creations, but that's probably a good thing since you're his demographic. All the Roubaix Comps we've had in were the Black w/red highlights. The Ultegra on them looked more grey whereas on your's it looks black. Odd that Shimano made two different colors for 2013 Ultegra and Specialized went to the trouble of speccing the two frame colors with different group colors.

P.S. Wrap your white bar tape with plastic whenever you bring the bike to a shop mechanic for work. You'll be helping him help you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Bruce thats a great looking bike! Thanks for posting the pic, hard to find ones of adult sized bikes. I had ridden the black while in Chicago and really liked the look and the fit. By the time I made a decision you couldn't get the black anymore but they had a red reserved for me at distributor, I couldn't find any pics of it in red so ended up getting the secteur elite. They are putting it together today and I'll post a pic when I get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Holy headtube Batman! It looks like one of Leonard Zinn's creations, but that's probably a good thing since you're his demographic.

P.S. Wrap your white bar tape with plastic whenever you bring the bike to a shop mechanic for work. You'll be helping him help you.
    Yup - I fit the Zinn demographic. And there is a great thread on this forum about 63-64cm road bikes with lots of pictures showing the long head tubes, so I knew what I was getting before ordering.

Bike continues to amaze me. I liked the look of the black one, but none were available until May/June in size HUGE. Good tip on wrapping the bar tape in plastic before working on it. The white handlebar wrap is already showing some nice dirt, but that's to be expected. Not sure white saddles and tape are a wise choice for anyone, but being mostly a mountain biker - I prefer things to be a little dirty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Bruce thats a great looking bike! Thanks for posting the pic, hard to find ones of adult sized bikes. I had ridden the black while in Chicago and really liked the look and the fit. By the time I made a decision you couldn't get the black anymore but they had a red reserved for me at distributor, I couldn't find any pics of it in red so ended up getting the secteur elite. They are putting it together today and I'll post a pic when I get it.
    Congrats on your Secteur purchase. Post up pictures of that big critter when you get a chance. And enjoy your first ride!!!

I love the size 64cm as I can now actually use all 3 hand positions - the drops, hoods and flats!!! On smaller frames, drops were always out for me unless I wanted to endure a few minutes of distorted pain. That's all gone now and I am loving it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Bike Decision 2013  00 Roubaix or 00 Secteur 64cm-forum2.jpg

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Nice bike. Enjoy it.

And.......... No cross chaining.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FORUM2.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	279348
    Looks great, Springfield. We are now both allowed to use the 2 foot long water bottles.

How was your first ride on it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I've got about 150 miles on it and other than tweaking the seat angle I haven't done anything to it. Very Happy. I get on some pretty sketchy country roads sometimes and it is probably just a matter of time till I go down so I really think the aluminum was the best choice right now. I've had several emails for measurements etc.. and I am happy to accommodate because I know its tough to find these bikes in shops! I also have some pics of the black roubaix like Bruce has.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Matt must've hooked you up then. I bought a 64cm allez from him before they were discontinued. Had to order a frame set to get the sizing.... We're only 13 left in the country when I did.