RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Bike with fenders, disc brakes, generator hub, rack

I'm considering to replace my "commuting" bike due to several problems (1) and I'm wondering which bikes with the following features can be bought without having to do modifications (2):
    - fenders and disc brakes for rainy days,
    - rack for carrying stuff,
    - generator hub for reliable light without having to charge or replace batteries.

I want the bike to be "low maintenance" and if something needs to be done, it should be possible to do so myself using the tools I acquired over the years for road bikes.

I'm also worried about soon to be outdated stuff, i.e., if you buy a bike now replacements for some parts won't be available in a few years (due changing "standard", e.g., cranks, bottom brackets, shifters, brakes, and axles)

The local Performance Bike store pointed me to Breezer bikes, i.e., the Liberty 1R+ and Beltway 8+ models.
    The main difference between the two is that the former has a 105 drivetrain (chain+cassette) while the latter has a belt drive.
    It seems the latter is preferable for this kind of bike, but what about longevity? Is it necessary to replace the belt and the hub every few years?

What kind of alternatives are there?
    I would prefer a less "relaxed" geometry and mechanical disc brakes (easier maintenance for me?).

Footnotes:
    (1) some problems with my current commuting bike:
    I'm using a 20 year old road bike which has been outfitted with fenders , a rack, and a generator (pressing against the rear tyre). The shifting (Campagnolo Mirage 8 speed) is basically broken (it often requires to hold the shifter to keep it from "auto-shifting" to a smaller cog), the generator slips when it's wet, the fenders barely fit between the frame and the wheels and easily cause problems when the tyres pick up debris).

(2) usual reply from LBSs when I asked about bikes with those requirements:
    "you can add fenders and a rack and a generator hub"
    (yeah, and the lights, and the cabling, and deal with brake/axle compatibility problems).

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Breezer Beltway looks great but maybe buy a spare belt to future proof the drivechain although CDS has been around already for years.

https://www.canyon.com/en-jp/urban/c...ommuter-4.html
    I like the look of the Canyon myself, more integrated look and red is faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike with fenders, disc brakes, generator hub, rack-102298c7598c8a48825fcba237f86.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    stock

https://crustbikes.com/products/lightning-bolt-2/

Firefly Bicycles 650B Randonneur | Cycle EXIF

I've got Honjo fenders and a Schmidt SON dynamo hub with the Schmidt Edelux 2 headlight and B&M Secula plus tail light(fender mounted) and I couldn't be happier. No rattles and trouble free lighting.

Whichever bike you get just make sure that the chain and brake bridges are drilled and tapped for fender mounting and mount the fender to the bridges with leather washers, rubber may work also. Also if you can find a frame that is built with ports for internal wiring for the lights you'll be ahead of the game.

I ride a Boulder Bicycle Rando Overview and Prices but it isn't made for disc brakes nor a rear rack, but it is built for a front rack, fenders and internally wired hub generated lights. I mention it because it'll give you a look at how some of the features are integrated into the frame\bicycle.

Lots of pictures with close ups that may give an idea of the construction I'm speaking of. allroad
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP, what is your budget?
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    maybe 1500 USD, definitely not more than 2000 USD.
    I don't want to spend a lot of money on this as it will be used only for short (but daily) trips.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you thought about updating your current bike. You should be able to replace the drivetrain, have a wheel built with a generator hub and mount fenders on your commuter for well within your budget.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    It has already fenders... and updating a 20 year old bike with disc brakes? I doubt they fit...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Breezer they steered you toward would likely serve you well. Both Breezer and its main component vendors are well-established companies and the product lines likely aren't going away. BTW, hydro brakes need little maintenance and I would go with them for a commuter.

Breezer Bikes - BELTWAY 11+ - Bike Details
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    It has already fenders... and updating a 20 year old bike with disc brakes? I doubt they fit...
    Got it, wasn't thinking about that.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Speaking of the Canyon Commuter, I've had my eye on the 8.0 or 9.0 when the time comes to upgrade my grocery bike.

The past few visits to Canyon's site, the 8 and 9 are nowhere to be found. Does that mean they're outta stock or out of production? (And yes, I'm visiting Canyon Europe, not the half-stocked Murican site.)
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.