RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

bmc slc01 pro machine. feed back, durable? warranty service?

just purchased a 2010 slc01 frame set.
    If you own one or had. what do you think about it? year and milage ? is it sturdy compared to other brands? i have a cervelo slc 2006 till now excellent, this will be the bike racing with, and my new one will be the training bike. so it will see a good milage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    It's a little late to ask for feedback if you already bought it, no? ;-)

Just kidding. I don't own a BMC, but I know folks who do. They are as durable and sturday as any other racing bike I suppose.

Questions for you: Why purchase a completely different bike as your trainer? Why not race the bike that your body is accustomed to through miles on the saddle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Questions for you: Why purchase a completely different bike as your trainer? Why not race the bike that your body is accustomed to through miles on the saddle?[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to try another brand. Like trying new brands. it has the same geometry as my actual bike. I can set it up, with the same measures. I'm bored of cervelos. I will still use my other bike for some training rides, for the feel.

Sleep Expert
    I'd use the BMC as the racer, but that's just me. They're great bikes.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I am thinking about getting the SLC01. Would love you to hear your opinions on the bike. A review?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I've had two SLC01's. They're fantastic frames. They aren't the stiffest frame out there for powerhouse sprinters, and many have commented on how the head tube/fork area is somewhat flexy, but my 2008 is plenty stiff and I've been nothing but happy with it. It's quite comfortable to ride for 5+ hours at a time. With good (ie not stupid-light) quality parts, I was able to build my 2008 out to 14.2 lbs with pedals and cages.

The carbon nanotube mumbo jumbo they add to the resin is supposed to make the frame a lot more impact resistant. Similar to adding re-bar to concrete. It's also pretty damn expensive, which I've *heard* is the reason BMC is no longer using Easton CNT carbon on their newer model frames.

One thing I've noticed about these frames however is that the clearcoat has issues. My first SLC01 was a 2007 nude carbon, and the clearcoat started popping off in large quarter to half dollar sized sections all over the frame. After being quite vocal with BMC, they replaced the frame with a leftover 2008. The new frame appears to be holding up much better. However, I do see areas where the clear is exhibiting similar behavior, but the chips are much much smaller (pea size) and relatively rare this time around. I'm beginning to wonder if the CNT carbon is somewhat unsuitable for paint adhesion? This appears to only be a problem with the clearcoat though, as the white painted sections of my bike seem to be holding quite well. In fact, after 4000 miles, my frame looks like new (ignoring the few small blisters in the clear coat of course).

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my BMC. If it were totaled or stolen today, I'd go out and buy another just like it. Or maybe I'd upgrade to the SLR01. hmmmmmmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    One thing I've noticed about these frames however is that the clearcoat has issues. My first SLC01 was a 2007 nude carbon, and the clearcoat started popping off in large quarter to half dollar sized sections all over the frame. After being quite vocal with BMC, they replaced the frame with a leftover 2008. The new frame appears to be holding up much better. However, I do see areas where the clear is exhibiting similar behavior, but the chips are much much smaller (pea size) and relatively rare this time around. I'm beginning to wonder if the CNT carbon is somewhat unsuitable for paint adhesion? This appears to only be a problem with the clearcoat though, as the white painted sections of my bike seem to be holding quite well. In fact, after 4000 miles, my frame looks like new (ignoring the few small blisters in the clear coat of course).

I have read that, I guess that is why new frames are all covered in glossy paint