RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015

BMC Team Machine SLR02

Just about ready to pull the trigger on a BMC Team Machine SLR02. It has been an exhaustive search for the correct bike that I need. I have ridden so many bikes and had some money down on a Colnago CX Zero too, but that was too much money. I am not a fan of the taller head tubed endurance bikes, and wanted a quasi endurance bike with race bike character....enter the BMC Team Machine.

I am currently riding a Cannondale SuperSix from 2013. Great bike, but pretty one dimensional. That bike scares the crap out of me. The frame is so stiff, that it is white knuckle riding on descents with chip and seal. The bike just bounces all over the place and feels like it wants to jump off of the pavement. It is a very uneasy feeling. I just can't get used to it. It is fine on the flats, but still wants to run away from me.

The moment I got on the BMC the game changed. This was comfortable, climbed like a mountain goat, and willing to go fast...all while being way more sure-footed and inspiring than the Cannondale. There is one stretch of road that is fairly bumpy that I train on. It is a roller stretch about 3/4 of a mile that I just use to sprint uphill and come back down. Coming down at 28mph I've got a death grip on the bike because it bounces all over. It's silly that a bike should feel this fragile and scary. I did the same route with the BMC, and at the same speed I sat up and could play air guitar if I wanted to. The difference is shocking. There are bikes that one can sit up and peel a banana at 50mph. This is one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I am a way off being able to afford a new bike at the moment but the SLR02 is one of the top on my list. I hope you up date this thread to let us know if you did get it or not and the reasons behind your decision. And later on how you get on with your new steed, whichever you chose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Yes, I did end up buying the BMC SLR02. In my quest for finding a new bike, I test rode: Special Roubaix SL4; Specialized S-Works Tarmac(twitchy); Cannondale Synapse(loose on the front end); Felt Z4 Disc(nice bike);Scott Solace(unbalanced); Bianchi Infinito CV; Bianchi Intenso(floppy front end handling); BMC Grandfondo; Giant Defy Advanced(head tube too tall giving a strange feeling to the ride); Volagi Liscio(nice ride, but quirky looks) ; Pinarello RazaK(piece of junk);Time Fluidity(smoothride, almost too smooth, but too quick on the front end). None of the test ride bikes matched up to the BMC Team Machine. I think part of the magic is the asymetric chain stays. Also the front fork being straight bladed gives it that Colnago ride character. Bike feels planted all the time. Tracks dead straight. So easy to take hands of the bars and cruise. Every time I ride the bike I just laugh because it is so much fun to ride. Smooth, smooth, smooth!! It is definitely a race bike, but even on long rides, when I get off it as if I never rode it. I feel real fresh after a hard ride, and that is a testament to the superb road dampening quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Interesting how we all perceive bikes differently. I love my Cannondale SuperSix EVO HiMod.

I found the BMC Team Machine SLR02 capable but uninspiring during a 40 mile BMC Demo Days ride that included some climbing.

Anyway...different strokes...enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by tvad; 05-30-2015 at 05:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    ^ Yep, one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

There's no one bike that meets everyone's needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    True!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I agree. Good thing there are a lot of choices or I would have never found the bike for me.

I have a Super Six too. Nice bike, but a little too much on the edge for my style. Now that bike probably wouldn't bother me too much if were not for the fact I have a shoulder injury and I really need to be careful with riding too aggressively. The Super Six is too nervous on the front end in that regard. The BMC is still a race bike, but much more muted than the Cannondale. Basically it is a safer bike for me thanks to the relaxed head tube angle. I rode many others with a relaxed head tube angle, but none were as reassuring as the BMC.

Had I not had the shoulder injury, I would still probably pick the BMC for it's smooth ride characteristic. Being 54 too probably factors into the need for a calmer smoother bike. Funny, the same can be said for cars too. As we get older, our tastes in cars changes from racy to quiet and comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I'm 54. My SuperSix EVO HiMod front end feels planted and stable. In fact, I'm more confident descending on that bike...rough roads included...than any other bike I've owned or ridden save for a Pinarello Dogma 2 (but that bike felt lifeless).

Fascinating how your description of the SuperSix's characteristics is so vastly different to my experience. It's a head scratcher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    The big difference is that I have muscle atrophy in my right shoulder, so things others experience won't be the same that I experience. A super stiff bike under my feet is more for me to handle. The Super Six is one of the stiffest bikes ever. The front end skips on chip-seal pavement. The BMC does not. Totally different ride. The Super Six is an exciting ride....a little too much for me. Lots of people love the ride.
    Last edited by keepitgoing54; 05-30-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: punctuation errors

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by keepitgoing54 View Post
    The Super Six is one of the stiffest bikes ever. The front end skips on chip-seal pavement.
    That's never happened to me.

Perhaps your balance point on that bike was shifted toward the saddle, thus you didn't have enough weight over the bars to keep the front wheel planted.

In any case, our experiences on the SuperSix are opposite, and there must be a good explanation for it.

Nevertheless, you've found a bike that you enjoy, and that's what counts.
    Last edited by tvad; 05-30-2015 at 10:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    No, I had a professional fit on both bikes. The BMC instilled confidence where I lack because of my physical problem with my shoulder. It is clearly the case the Super Six didn't work for me. I do not have the Super Six Evo, just the regular Super Six.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    The BMC teammachine head tube is a little higher than most other race geometry bikes. I also find it very stable. Great for descents on less than smooth roads. I bought the Granfondo because I wanted something even more comfortable but I'm thinking of getting the new alloy teammachine as a fun alternative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The BMC teammachine head tube is a little higher than most other race geometry bikes. I also find it very stable. Great for descents on less than smooth roads. I bought the Granfondo because I wanted something even more comfortable but I'm thinking of getting the new alloy teammachine as a fun alternative.
    The Granfondo is the other bike I really fancy, I can't work out which one would be better for me.
    Head says Granfondo - I'm 51, only been riding for about 2 years and not that flexible.
    Heart says SLR02 - sexy, faster, lighter, will be able to develop my riding without outgrowing it.
    Unfortunately in Thailand we are not given the opportunity to test ride the bikes, or at least I have not yet found a shop that will allow it other than maybe 5 minutes on a trainer. This means that I will be pretty much buying from reviews and advice from others that have ridden the bikes.

Having said all that, does the fact you bought the Granfondo for comfort mean that you don't think the SLR02 would be comfortable on longer journeys? Also, is the SLR02 noticeably better for hill climbing? (I need all the help I can get there )

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's almost a certainty that you can set up the relationship between the contact points to be the same on a SLR02 and a Granfondo, i.e. the fit can be made to be identical between the two. Chose between them based on ride/performance characteristics.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Wilt View Post
    The Granfondo is the other bike I really fancy, I can't work out which one would be better for me.
    Head says Granfondo - I'm 51, only been riding for about 2 years and not that flexible.
    Heart says SLR02 - sexy, faster, lighter, will be able to develop my riding without outgrowing it.
    Unfortunately in Thailand we are not given the opportunity to test ride the bikes, or at least I have not yet found a shop that will allow it other than maybe 5 minutes on a trainer. This means that I will be pretty much buying from reviews and advice from others that have ridden the bikes.

Having said all that, does the fact you bought the Granfondo for comfort mean that you don't think the SLR02 would be comfortable on longer journeys? Also, is the SLR02 noticeably better for hill climbing? (I need all the help I can get there )
    I'm 46 and reasonably flexible because I also do yoga every day. So we're pretty close in age. I'm not racing so while I did want something fast and fun a couple seconds slower just doesn't matter to me. At my age once I get past 20 miles I do start to feel it. For shorter rides the Teammachine is fine but I knew from past experience on other bikes that the smarter thing to do would be to get the Granfondo.

Honestly there isn't a huge amount of difference between the 2 frames. Other brands that I tried there a real trade off between performance and comfort when you look at their racing and endurance bikes. The Giant TCR for example which is one of my favorite race bikes feels so much quicker than a Defy. The Specialized Roubaix felt completely dead to me while the Tarmac was was too fast and twitchy in my opinion. BMC is different in that both of these bikes are pretty close to each other. They showed me at the shop that 28 mm tires would fit on the Teammachine. Put those on and get the Granfondo seatpost and it would be very comfortable.

Both the Teammachine and Granfondo really move and are incredibly stable when descending. I found the Teammachine to be faster in the flats but I didn't see it as that much different of a climbing bike than the Granfondo. The fun factor is absolutely there with both. The big difference is the availability of disc brakes on the Granfondo and if you are a racer and every second counts then the Teammachine will make more sense.
    Last edited by GOTA; 06-01-2015 at 09:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Guys, you may be able to help me out ...if it's not much of a trouble, can you share your experiences in the topic I created? Am I really strugling to decide.

BMC SLR02 X Cannondale Supersix Evo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Hi , guys ! Here is new 2018 BMC Teammachine SLR 02 Two , frame 51 cm BMC Team Machine SLR02-dsc_0110.jpgBMC Team Machine SLR02-dsc_0117.jpgBMC Team Machine SLR02-videobilde-10.jpgBMC Team Machine SLR02-no-video-2-.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    nevermind, post is yeeears old. delete.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL