RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Bob Jackson frames?

Can anyone give me an assessment of the quality of Bob Jackson frames, the "Custom Super Legend" in particular? A friend of mine in London is getting into road biking, and is looking for a custom steel frame.
    Alternatively, would it be feasible to have a frame built here, by Waterford e.g., and ship it to London? Customs?
    Thanks for your input.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Bob Jackson frames have been around for a very long time. I've seen a few, but have never ridden or owned one. I haven't heard anything about them for lots of years, but they used to have a very good reputation.

I almost bought one, but settled for a Falcon Team Pro instead. That was a great bike, too. For some reason, I just have a soft spot in my heart for English bikes. IMO, your friend won't go wrong buying a Jackson frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    Can anyone give me an assessment of the quality of Bob Jackson frames, the "Custom Super Legend" in particular? A friend of mine in London is getting into road biking, and is looking for a custom steel frame.
    Alternatively, would it be feasible to have a frame built here, by Waterford e.g., and ship it to London? Customs?
    Thanks for your input.
    Send him to Condor in Grays Inn Road Holborn 0207 269 6820. If he's just getting into road cycling he won't necessarily need a custom frame. Condor have been building since the 40's, so have a wealth of experience to draw on.
    PS I don't work there!

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Not incredibly informative but there was a thread on Bob Jackson Frames just a while back on the Serotta.com forum. Bob Jackson

If you do a search there you can find some pics of some as well
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member

A few points..............

If he's just getting into riding I don't think he really needs to worry about a custom frame, unless he fancies something specific and has the cash.

That said Bob Jackson frames are very reasonable off the peg.

I'm from England - now living in NZ - and am familiar with the likes of Bob Jackson, Roberts, Condor, Argos etc.

Personally I think he'd fair just fine on an off the peg Jackson. Their bikes are well priced and the finish is fantastic - I had BJ refinish an old Raleigh of mine and it was a really really fantastic job (see below).

Roberts also make great bikes. I have one of those also. Their website is worth a look;

http://www.robertscycles.com/

I like Condor, but in terms of price they're the most expensive of the 3 by a long chalk. I spoke to them recently and their pricing was way over that of Roberts. Their shop is well worth a visit all the same.

Jacksons gave me a quote to build a frame out of new reynolds 953 for way less that Condor could build out of 853!!!!

Hope he finds something he likes!!!

DannyBoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bob Jackson frames?-daniels-bike-002.jpg   Bob Jackson frames?-daniels-bike-008.jpg   Bob Jackson frames?-cape-reinga-bike-029.jpg   Bob Jackson frames?-test%2520bike%2520700.jpeg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    Thanks for your input.
    Mine's on order!

Sentimental reasons here - a BJ was my last racing frame (in 1972!), got my first cat licence on one. THen quit cycling for 30 years, but that's another tale...

Was over at the BJ shop/factory on vacation last July - it's about 40 miles from where I grew up in my native England. Nice folk, answered all my doodly questions, gave me a ton of info besides, Also got to see some of their wares - a very high drool factor indeed if you like lugged steel.

Mine's 853, plain, longpoint lugs, vertical dropouts - but I copped out for a CF fork as I wanted 1-1/8" and there just aren't many decent crowns around for curved blade steel forks in that steerer. Colour will be silver, red panelling and lug lining - just like my last one! 'Cept now I can afford to have the chainstays and some of the seatstays chromed, unlike my last one ...

The good part - the US dealer is World Class Cycles at http://www.worldclasscycles.com/

It's on Long Island, NY, a MO only supplier that seems to revolve around Roger Lee and his very helpful assistant, a lass who's name escapes me. All the basic info about frame types and so on is on their site, though mine was mostly 'designed' on the aesthetics side by my chatting with the guys at BJ in England. I knew the major elements of the geometry I needed, told them what I wanted the frame for and have mostly left them to get on with it. The only 'quirk' I'm having is a slightly sloping TT - an idea lifted off my beloved Gunnar, and one that I was told was no problem to do on a lugged frame. Basically, it's a 54cm frame, with the headtube height of a 55 and ST of a 53.

For your Brit buddy, the Waterford / Gunnar dealer in England is:

Rock -n- Road- United Kingdom
    1 Britannia Road
    Southampton, SO14 5RG
    [44] 23 8022 1022

Yes - they have no website! I would imagine that it would be far easier to just deal with them and let them deal with the shipping hassles over the big wet bit and through customs.

Your buddy could cast around the London area for a custom builder - I think Condor might still be around, and they have been top grade forever - last address I had for them was 51 Gray's Inn Rd, London. Cooper's are still building somewhere around London too - I saw some of their frames in a bike shop in Sausalito, near SF, CA, last year!. Mercian are still in the custom steel business and just up the road from BJ's shop is Woodrup's, run by the founder's son now.

Promise to pay attention and post photos when she arrives

FWIW - the 'finalists' for my business were a Gunnar Roadie - I ride a Gunnar Sport and know the Roadie geo is what I really want, plus my Sport is an awesome ride - a lugged Waterford and the BJ - sentimentality carried the day

Hope that helps

Dereck
    Last edited by Dereck; 01-08-2006 at 05:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

lugged slopping top tube?

How does that work? You sure it's not like the one I posted above with a very slightly extended head tube?

Either way I'd like to see pictures. I have a thing about old lugged steel. Apart from the Raleigh refurb posted above I have a Hetchins and a Colnago Tecnos - chrome is a must!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy
    How does that work? You sure it's not like the one I posted above with a very slightly extended head tube?

Either way I'd like to see pictures. I have a thing about old lugged steel. Apart from the Raleigh refurb posted above I have a Hetchins and a Colnago Tecnos - chrome is a must!!!
    It would be easier to draw - but here goes.

Imagine a horizontal top tube. Now rotate it around its mid-point, lifting the front 1cm and dropping the back end 1cm. The head tube is lengthened to suit, the ST is shortened, you end up with what looks remarkably like the TT of a Gunnar Roadie ;)

Does that clear the fog?

Funnily enough, wifey and I were noodling through Rock Creek Park in DC today - came across a couple riding along - she's on a lugged steel Colnago, he's on an English built Woodrup, with DT shifted Campag from 80's but with a 9sp back end! Didn't have too much time to chat, but both were originally her bikes - she'd raced some 15-odd years back - and had fitted the Woodrup to hubby when she finally got him riding. Both bikes were very nice classics indeed - hopefully next time we come across them, we'll have time and I'll have my camera.

Regards

Dereck
    (who would probably have a CF bike if it would get him back into the peleton with menace, but alas, that will now only happen with reincarnation ;))

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    You've all been extraordinarily helpful. I checked out the Roberts website, and the have an Audax frame that might just be the ticket. It's offered with full Campy Chorus at 1700 PSt. That strikes me as a great deal.

RoadBikeReview Member

I can highly recommend Roberts.......

I've had two from them and am thinking about a third. That said their service is sometimes a little offhand, either way they'll build you a great bike.

I bet it'd work out even cheaper if you got the frame and fork from them and then sourced your components from Deeside Cycles or Parker International - at least it was when I did it!!