Thread: Bowman Palace R

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Bowman Palace R

Anyone have any experience with Bowman? The black frame looks amazing, and from what I've heard they're light and ride great. Any downside of them vs a titanium frame? Seems like they come in at the same weight at a fraction of the cost..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I can't answer the specific question, but I was eyeing the Bowman myself and curious to hear real-world reports.

As for aluminum vs. titanium...well, I can't seem to find a popcorn emoji, but that's what I'd post if I could.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    As for aluminum vs. titanium...well, I can't seem to find a popcorn emoji, but that's what I'd post if I could.
    Sheesh I thought I would at least get a few more responses with with that..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    An Any downside of them vs a titanium frame? Seems like they come in at the same weight at a fraction of the cost..
    Ti is tougher and totally corrosion resistant and aluminum is much cheaper but a good frame can be made from either. Note that I said "can" be made. Design and execution are more important than material (this applies to steel and CF as well).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Bowman?
    I have a Bowman Layhams frame-set.
    So I only can tell you that ordering and shipping was without any flaws.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We bought one for my wife last winter use as her winter bike.

It is now her 'go to' bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good bicycles turn effort into emotion.
    They provide the means to reach, and sometimes exceed, your potential.
    On a fine bike you can ride better than you ever thought possible and catch glimpses of extraordinary athletic prowess you didnít realize you had.
    The experience is inspirational and addictive.
    You long to sustain it.

~ jim langley

RoadBikeReview Member
    I should also have said, her main ride is (or was) a Litespeed Tuscany built on Campag 11v record/chorus mix. It's only ever been used as a dry weather, best bike and she has never gotten fed up with it. She's had around 10 or so bikes all steel, alu and two ti' (including the Litespeed). In her words the bowman frame - the original palace with bb86 shell - has been pretty much the finest handling bike she's had the pleasure of riding.

I'm think of getting one for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good bicycles turn effort into emotion.
    They provide the means to reach, and sometimes exceed, your potential.
    On a fine bike you can ride better than you ever thought possible and catch glimpses of extraordinary athletic prowess you didnít realize you had.
    The experience is inspirational and addictive.
    You long to sustain it.

~ jim langley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bowman Palace R-litespeed-tuscany-01.jpg

My other bike has knobbys
    Thread resurrection time...I've ordered a Palace:R frame because, unless you are spending $2500 CDN or more, there really aren't any good options for just a frame up here in the Great White North.

Geometry wise, it's not too far off the Cervelo S2 I had been running until the frame got damaged last week...as in very close other than the centre-rear measurement (longer chainstays). So, I placed my order Wednesday night (here), they shipped it Thursday morning (there) and I will have it on Tuesday, according to UPS.

I've generally heard good things about them and the UK bike mags seems to think they are decent frames. I tend to put more stock in the UK bike mags and reviews vs. the bigger US based bike magazines...they seem to more generally agree with me in terms of what I like (and don't typically have issues with folks accusing them of favoritism / pandering to advertisers).

I'll let you know how it goes once I get the frame and build it up with the Chorus group and custom wheels (Boyd Altamonts, Sapim CXRays on Onyx Racing hubs) had been running on the Cervelo.
    So 9 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2018 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

18 Bowman Palace:R, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX, 12 Cervelo S2 (frame)

My other bike has knobbys
    Arrived as UPS had promised. Took me a few days to get everything transferred over and built up...plus I had to try to do some matching with the bits I had from the Cervelo. Everything fit like it was supposed to and it built up well. Much lighter than the last bike frame I built up (freeride mtb). I don't have a weight quite yet, but the overall seems to be pretty comparable to what the S2 was.

Got it out for a ride on Monday...First impressions are that it lives up to the hype. Quick but not twitchy feeling in the steering (likely the tapered headset helps with that) and the carbon fork does a good job of keeping the road buzz out of your hands. Back end is a little more buzzy than my S2 was (carbon vs. alu thing, I'm sure), but it's not too bad. I'll ride out the season and then decide if I need / want a carbon post. Acceleration was pretty darn quick (it was originally intended as a crit bike) and, in spite of my clyde-sized goodness, I didn't get any feel or sounds of flex when I got up and mashed it hard.

Overall, I think it was a good choice and I will give it a thumbs up.

Obligatory bike pic....
    Bowman Palace R-palace-1a.jpg
    So 9 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2018 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

18 Bowman Palace:R, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX, 12 Cervelo S2 (frame)