redline09
    Nov 2009

Building a touring bike questions

Hey everyone,
    I haven't built up a complete bike before, but I would like to take a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset and build it up with parts cannibalized from a Fuji cyclocross bike that I am not riding much.
    The Surly frameset, with fork, would be for 700C wheels, so the Fuji wheelset would be compatible. The Fuji has STI shifters, a triple chainring, 9-speed cassette, Ultegra deraileur, rim brakes and oversized handlebars. All of that would be moved over to the Surly frameset. I don't know the specs on the Fuji bottom bracket.
    Questions: How difficult will it be to move parts from the Fuji to the Surly frame?
    Are there parts compatibility issues I should be aware of or special tools required to finish the job?
    Many thanks for your help with this.
    Safe riding,
    Redline09
    Milwaukee
    Last edited by redline09; 12-18-2012 at 09:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The compatibility issues I can think of are:

Rear wheel spacing-are both frames 130 or 135mm? Swapping spacers, changing axle lengths, redishing wheels; if need be you can convert one dimension to another. Your local bike shop can help with the parts and the redishing if you can't do it.

Bottom bracket: both frames are likely english threaded bottom brackets. Just remember; the chainring side cup threads in counter-clockwise. In some unusual cases, the chainstays are designed to accept only 2 chainrings and you may discover your inner chainring touching the chainstay when you install the crank. Just be aware that you may have to purchase a crank or new BB axle to cure this problem.

Seatpost: do both frames accept the same diameter seatpost? You may also have to purchase a new clamp for the end of the seat tube as seat tube diameters can vary.

Handlebar stem: are both bikes' forks threadless? Same diameter (1" or 1.125")? This may require a new headset and a new stem to fit the steerer.

Front derailleur: some pull cable from underneath the BB; some from above. Some front derailleurs are specific to the type of cable pull as well as the routing of the cable guides dictating the type of derailleur used. In some cases you pick the wrong front derailleur and it's clamp wants to mount right where the seat tube waterbottle boss is. The solution is to get the correct derailleur. Seat tube diameters of the two frames may differ as well, necessitating either a new front derailleur or purchasing a braze-on style derailleur and a separate clamp with adapters to fit the various seat tube diameters.

Those are the issues I can think of and there are ready fixes for all of them.